Page 2 of 5 FirstFirst 1234 ... LastLast

Thread: fat camp

Yes, commonly known as "intermittent fasting".

The most common method seems to be an 8hr window with a 16hr fast.

Quote Originally Posted by Travs View Post
    Yes, commonly known as "intermittent fasting".

The most common method seems to be an 8hr window with a 16hr fast.
    Even if it does work, you try doing it and leading an average life!

My eating does generally take place in a 9hr window (excepting my tiny protein breakfast!)

Whether my life would be considered "normal" is a different matter (training twice a day, and in bed by 10am every night!)

One thing i notice is that if my routine of training is disrupted in any way, its really hard to maintain the discipline of a good diet.

Now I know where I am going wrong.

Eat when I'm hungry

Drink too much beer

Never in bed before 10pm

Visibility good except in Hill Fog

Quote Originally Posted by Marco View Post
    Respectfully, I'm going to disagree with what you've said.
    No worries Marco. I appreciate your post. I know it's much more complicated than that simplistic input vs output model for many people, especially with different metabolisms, life-styles and circumstances, budgets, etc., etc.

I was posting how I found adopting that mental image model helpful personally, and so maybe for others too(but not all).

I've found some of the vids related to the Fit Father Project helpful. Here's one about fat loss and muscle building as a 'taster'. https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=BHF6YE1hTis

Obviously a focus on weight per se is faulty thinking, as one of my concerns is that when my weight drops below 73 kgs I'm possibly losing muscle mass. Then we have the difference between visceral fat and subcutaneous; the limitations of BMI measurements; the importance of waist measurements; etc.; etc.
    Am Yisrael Chai

Whether my life would be considered "normal" is a different matter (training twice a day, and in bed by 10am every night!)
    Most people would consider simply running off road and up mountains as 'abnormal'! Doing that AND racing others up and over them - well, that's certifiable
    Am Yisrael Chai

My eating does generally take place in a 9hr window (excepting my tiny protein breakfast!)

One thing i notice is that if my routine of training is disrupted in any way, its really hard to maintain the discipline of a good diet.
    The tiny protein breakfast counts as part of your eating window too; that's why it's so difficult to have a sub 12hr eating 'window'.

The word I used was 'average', as I think it's more appropriate when discussing a large number of people. I wouldn't describe myself a 'normal', and I don't think many others on here would either.

When I was racing I driving large distances, on occasions over 600 miles a day, for my job. I always took a full day's eating with me in the car, so I could eat at all the right times regardless of delays etc.

Quote Originally Posted by Llani Boy View Post
    Now I know where I am going wrong.

Eat when I'm hungry

Drink too much beer

Never in bed before 10pm

It's like training really. If you like what you're doing, and if it's giving you the results you want, keep on doing what you're doing

Quote Originally Posted by Marco View Post
    The tiny protein breakfast counts as part of your eating window too; that's why it's so difficult to have a sub 12hr eating 'window'.

My totally unproven, fag-packet science behind it...

Wake up with your metabolism working quite slowly... having my bit of protein (no more than 150 cals) kicks the metabolism into action... within an hour of that i'm doing my morning run... with my metabolism now in over drive, i'm rapidly burning calories, and accelerated my metabolism to a degree that completely outweighs the 150 cals i've previously put in.

My totally unproven, fag-packet science behind it...

Wake up with your metabolism working quite slowly... having my bit of protein (no more than 150 cals) kicks the metabolism into action... within an hour of that i'm doing my morning run... with my metabolism now in over drive, i'm rapidly burning calories, and accelerated my metabolism to a degree that completely outweighs the 150 cals i've previously put in.
    If two experts were to reply to your post, we'd get two different views. In a way that is what this thread is all about, the fact that things that work for some people don't necessarily work for others.

What I would say, however, is that the body produces wake-up hormones at the end of your sleep cycle, and this means that your metabolism should be up to speed by the time you get up.

Running shortly after eating is problematic. The blood flow and energy that should be going to your digestive system to break down the protein, is now being diverted to your limbs and cardiovascular system. The likely result, as protein tends to take hours to break down, is that you'll have part-digested protein sloshing around your stomach when you run.

I can see your logic, but I think you would need to eat considerably greater than one hour before your run to make it work. I appreciate that this is unlikely to be practical for you.

What marathon runners tell me is that for morning runs they tend to go out before breakfast. They do this to both avoid stomach discomfort, and also to train their bodies to run on body fat as blood sugar will only power you for around 100 minutes of hard running. In view of your 100 mile race, later in the year, you might want to consider this approach.

In terms of the eating 'window', the principle is for health rather than training reasons. Consuming anything except water causes the body to crank up the digestive system. This takes a lot of resources, which means that the body 'housekeeping' that occurs during fasting periods doesn't happen. If you think about the first 90 percent of human evolution, it was hunt, gather, and eat during the daylight and then rest and sleep in the dark. This is where the theory behind the idea of eating 'window' being both natural and useful comes from.

In my opinion all models and theories concerning disease processes and unhealthy conditions are incomplete because the role of consciousness has not been addressed. In the early C20th the founding fathers of quantum mechanics dropped a bombshell that should have seen us progress in a new direction, but the medical elite collectively turned their back. The taboo surrounding subjects such as spontaneous remission is apparently so strong, that you can't even talk about the taboo.
    Luke Appleyard (Wharfedale)- quick on the dissent