Thread: John Marstrand

Master
    Within sight of Leicestershire's Beacon Hill

John Marstrand

Having mentioned John Marstrand in another thread, I did a bit of googling, and found an obituary here: https://www.bristol.ac.uk/maths/news...-may-2019.html . Note also the links to memories of him from three of his colleagues, two of whom mention more of his fell running activities.

I didn't know John (although I have found a few fell race results lists in which we both feature), and hadn't realised that he had died (in 2019, aged 93). I don't recall seeing his death mentioned in any fell running publication. He ran for Lochaber AC while living in Bristol, which makes my running for a club based 110 miles from my home seem a trivial distance! But he was known for his enthusiasm for travelling huge distances to races, especially Ben Nevis.
    In his lifetime he suffered from unreality, as do so many Englishmen.
    Jorge Luis Borges

Quote Originally Posted by anthonykay View Post
    Having mentioned John Marstrand in another thread, I did a bit of googling, and found an obituary here: https://www.bristol.ac.uk/maths/news...-may-2019.html . Note also the links to memories of him from three of his colleagues, two of whom mention more of his fell running activities.

I didn't know John (although I have found a few fell race results lists in which we both feature), and hadn't realised that he had died (in 2019, aged 93). I don't recall seeing his death mentioned in any fell running publication. He ran for Lochaber AC while living in Bristol, which makes my running for a club based 110 miles from my home seem a trivial distance! But he was known for his enthusiasm for travelling huge distances to races, especially Ben Nevis.

When I was compiling the Fellrunner index and read all the obituaries I reflected on who "gets one" and who doesn't and generally it seems to be down to the initiative of a club mate or friend. It helps if you are still an active (or recently active) runner and young enough to have kept in touch with someone who might write the obituary. I assume that Editors do not reject submitted obituaries.

Anthony, I don't know if you are a Long Distance Walker but the Ken Falconer in the photo is one of the "greats" of the LDWA: past Chairman, multiple editor of Strider and much else and, of course, being a mathematician simply a superior human being.
    Last edited by Graham Breeze; 10-04-2022 at 05:05 PM.
    "...as dry as the Atacama desert".

Master
    Within sight of Leicestershire's Beacon Hill
    Quote Originally Posted by Graham Breeze View Post

Anthony, I don't know if you are a Long Distance Walker but the Ken Falconer in the photo is one of the "greats" of the LDWA: past Chairman, multiple editor of Strider and much else and, of course, being a mathematician simply a superior human being.
    Yes, I was aware of Ken Falconer's long-distance walking achievements, but only because they are mentioned at the bottom of his personal page on the St. Andrews University website. I have never been a member of the LDWA, although I did participate in a few of their events back in the 20th Century.
    In his lifetime he suffered from unreality, as do so many Englishmen.
    Jorge Luis Borges