Thread: SI Entries Refund Protection

SI Entries Refund Protection

Does anyone have any views on Refund Protection offered by SI Entries when entering their races? They use a company called Booking Protect for this service.
    I'd entered the Newlands Memorial race and pulled out because I've just tested positive for Covid on a PCR test.
    Two difficulties have presented themselves when trying to reclaim my entry fee:-
    1. Booking Protect require a Doctor's note to qualify for a refund. This isn't practical as a doctor's note will cost more than the entry.
    2. They specifically exclude positive Lateral Flow and PCR positive tests from qualifying for a refund.

These hoops and exclusions make it pretty much unfit for purpose in my view. Unless anyone has persuasive arguments to the contrary I don't believe SI Entries should offer it as an option as runners will just pay the premium thinking that a refund is automatically paid out (like I did).
    Has anyone else had experiences with Booking Protect?

I always avoid that option on sientries.

On the few times i've pulled out of a sientries race, i've emailed the organiser to let them know... a couple of times i've had the fee refunded without even asking for it, which was very nice of them. So speaking to them might be worth a try.

Quote Originally Posted by Travs View Post
    I always avoid that option on sientries.

On the few times i've pulled out of a sientries race, i've emailed the organiser to let them know... a couple of times i've had the fee refunded without even asking for it, which was very nice of them. So speaking to them might be worth a try.
    I also avoid it Travs, and similarly, have had fees returned unexpectedly after just sending the RO an e-mail, out of courtesy, to let them know I would not be able to make it.
    Visibility good except in Hill Fog

I would only pay it if I were entering a high value race, and I think it is designed for these kinds of events.
    For fell races I wouldn't be too bothered about not getting a refund. The money's normally going to the local school or whatnot.

DO all events on SI have this protection guarantee (i.e is it opt-in from the RO, or always there?). SI entries cover a lot of events from big commercial ones where the refund protect is worthwhile, to small fell/orienteering events where it isn't.
    Nic Barber. Downhill Dandy

Interesting one. I thought it was possibly a good idea when events were still more likely to be cancelled at short notice (Covid primarily) but I now wonder if the policy would have paid out in those circumstances. Most ROs offered whole or partial refund, or deferrals,or suggested a donation to a good cause, usually something local. If an event was cancelled with no refunds I wonder if the policy would pay, or maybe pay and then demand money from the RO?
    On the other hand I can see the reasoning behind requesting some verification. On a typical year at Ben Nevis with 600 entries usually only between 4-500 turn up. I'm sure some are for genuine reasons but really, one in six?

Response from Martin Stone:

We take entries for events with a wide range of entry fees from £3 to £2000. Before an organiser chooses to use Booking Protect for their event, they see a paragraph of text which recommends that it is only used for events with a value of £30 or more. You are correct that this would exclude all fell races and because of this, we do not recommed the product for fell races. Some organisers may choose to ignore this recommendation but we do provide enough information to allow them to make a reasoned decision.

Booking Protect does not exclude someone with COVID-19 from claiming but it does require a doctor’s note to confirm that you are not in a fit state to take part in the race on that day.
    Charmian Heaton

Thanks for that clarification. Seems fair enough to me.

After querying with Martin at SI Entries, he sent me this reply:

'It is up to the event organiser to decide whether to opt in or out as they review their event before making it live. We provide clear guidance for events with a low entry fee'.

I don't think he can do anymore.
    In which case the onus is upon the RO to opt in or out.
    Most participants will tick the Refund Protection button under the misapprehension that a refund will be
    without quibble.
    My opinion is that, for fell race ROs, it is not worthwhile opting in given that making a successful claim through Booking Protect is going to be unlikely.

Having said all that, I've just been notified by Booking Protect that they will Refund my entry fee.
    I wasn't expecting that given what they said on their website.
    I sent them the 'NHS positive' message and my Race Entry reference number by way of proof.
    Jumped the gun, sorry everyone

Perhaps they have been reading this Forum!