Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Today's Carrot Cake

Today's Carrot Cake

I like to consider myself something of a connoisseur of Carrot Cake. Not in the baking of it you understand. No, in it's consumption, tasting, appreciation. It's a knowledge and ability acquired over many years for studious, diligent cake exploration; so these skills are hard won. I've sampled the dry husks they label carrot cake in the likes of Costa, and a whole series of overly sugary commercially packaged garbage. Until recently, the leader-board was headed by the delicious carrot cake on offer at Askham Hall cafe in..erm... Askham.

But wait, before you all head up to Cumbria (or down, or across), recently, I've savoured what I truly believe to be the apogee of the Carrot Cake as a concept and in its existential eminence. Found right on my doorstep, at the little deli in my village! Generous to a fault (well, not completely as I'm not telling you the village's name obviously as there's clearly a finite quantity available) I've not only acquired the recipe, but I'm sharing it here. Don't be put-off that it's vegan - that's neither here nor there in my estimation. But be warned, it's a meal in itself. Oh yes, for those with an eye on legit, performance enhancing substances, I'm guessing you could also add beetroot to the recipe

Vegan carrot cake

Ingredients
    150 g (5oz) vegan spread
    250 g (902) pitted dates
    350 ml unsweetened almond milk
    2 tsp. bicarbonate of soda
    75 g (30z) soft light brown sugar
    Zest and juice 1 orange
    350 g (120z) wholemeal plain flour
    1 tbsp. baking powder
    11/2 tsp ground ginger
    2 tsp. ground cinnamon
    250 g (9oz) coarsely grated carrots
    50 g (20z) desiccated coconut
    50 g (2oz) dried cranberries, plus extra to decorate
    25 g (102) pumpkin seeds plus extra toasted, to decorate
    50 g (20z) pecans, chopped, plus extra to decorate
    FOR THE ICING
    150 g (50z) vegan spread
    75 g (30z) smooth almond butter
    325 g icing sugar, sifted

Directions
    1. Preheat the oven to 180°C (160°C fan) mark 4. Grease and line a 30.5 x23cm
    (12x gin) traybake or roasting tin with baking parchment.
    2. Put the dates and almond milk in a small pan, bring up to the boil, then
    simmer for 5min. Transfer to a blender or food processor, and whiz until
    smooth. Stir in the bicarbonate of soda and set aside.
    3. Meanwhile, in a large bowl, beat together the spread and sugar with an electric
    whisk until combined. Beat in the date mixture along with
    the orange juice and zest.
    4. In a separate bowl, mix together the flour, baking powder and spices. Fold
    into batter, followed by the carrots, coconut, cranberries, seeds and pecans
    5. Transfer to the roasting tin and spread to level
    and bake for 45-50min, until a skewer inserted in the centre comes out clean.
    Cool in tin on a wire rack.
    6. Meanwhile, make the icins In h Medium bowl, beat the spread and almond
    butter with an electric whisk untilsmooth. Gradually beat in the icing sugar
    and chill in the fridge until needed.
    . Remove cake from the tin, transfer to a board and spread with icing. Scatter
    with cranberries, seeds and pecans,
    Am Yisrael Chai

Master
    Sounds delicious - I will have to persuade my partner to give it a go. The cake she makes that I like the most is an Italian apple and olive oil cake.

We constantly disagree on when a cake is cooked - she also uses the clean skewer test - I think that just means it will be ready soon, and ideally 10 - 15 minutes more gives the best compromise between a slight crust on the outside, and a moist but not soggy interior.
    Last edited by Mike T; 12-05-2022 at 08:14 PM.

Master
    My partner has requested a photo of the finished product!

Quote Originally Posted by Mike T View Post
    Sounds delicious - I will have to persuade my partner to give it a go. The cake she makes that I like the most is an Italian apple and olive oil cake.

We constantly disagree on when a cake is cooked - she also uses the clean skewer test - I think that just means it will be ready soon, and ideally 10 - 15 minutes more gives the best compromise between a slight crust on the outside, and a moist but not soggy interior.
    Clean skewer for me, but then turn the oven off with the cake in for 5-10 mins, then wire rack.

I know carrot cake can be tasty, but it does not seem right making and eating a cake made with carrots, cakes featuring root vegetables seems all wrong.
    Bara brith, not there's a yummy cake 🍰.
    Don't roll with a pig in poo. You get covered in poo and the pig likes it.

Quote Originally Posted by Mossdog View Post

But wait, before you all head up to Cumbria (or down, or across), recently, I've savoured what I truly believe to be the apogee of the Carrot Cake as a concept and in its existential eminence. Found right on my doorstep, at the little deli in my village! Generous to a fault (well, not completely as I'm not telling you the village's name obviously as there's clearly a finite quantity available)
    Yeees,I can can see that.

The prospect of 8000 fell runners arriving by car at your village deli., subsequent headlines in the national papers, your being forced out of the village under a cloud of shame and made unwelcome in any other idyllic hamlet...

And even after you had sold the movie rights to your story and decamped to Hollywood - would you be able to get Carrot Cake in California?
    Last edited by Graham Breeze; 14-05-2022 at 10:26 AM.
    "...as dry as the Atacama desert".

Master
    Within sight of Leicestershire's Beacon Hill
    I think we know enough about where Mossdog lives. If you see me cycling slowly up the B6277, calling in at every village shop to ask about carrot cake . . .
    In his lifetime he suffered from unreality, as do so many Englishmen.
    Jorge Luis Borges

Quote Originally Posted by anthonykay View Post
    I think we know enough about where Mossdog lives. If you see me cycling slowly up the B6277, calling in at every village shop to ask about carrot cake . . .
    But I think you would have to mention his name to get the good stuff from under the counter or you would be fobbed off with "for tourists only" rubbish.
    "...as dry as the Atacama desert".

Quote Originally Posted by molehill View Post
    I know carrot cake can be tasty, but it does not seem right making and eating a cake made with carrots, cakes featuring root vegetables seems all wrong.
    Bara brith, not there's a yummy cake 🍰.
    Yeah, but it definitely counts as 1 of your 5 a day
    Am Yisrael Chai

Quote Originally Posted by anthonykay View Post
    Might work if you choose the right day. Like Brigadoon, the village only appears out of the mists once every 100 years!!
    Am Yisrael Chai