Page 1 of 5 123 ... LastLast

Thread: Tumbling down the hill.......

Tumbling down the hill.......

......of physical ability. Having had to retire from racing 4 years ago, I am now having to contemplate stopping running so as eke out what is left of a knackered ankle and grumbling knee. I enjoy walking and cycling and want to able to keep doing those things.
    So I think we should have a new forum location for the similarly afflicted.....I know Moley is in a similar place. Perhaps Departure Lounge rather than Masters Lounge!🤣

And before you ask, yes I have heard of joint replacements. But I would rather take care of the original design!
    Simon Blease
    Monmouth

Quote Originally Posted by Wheeze View Post
    Perhaps Departure Lounge rather than Masters Lounge!🤣

And before you ask, yes I have heard of joint replacements. But I would rather take care of the original design!
    Aye lad, you've struck a cord there. Maybe another alternative might be, the 'Plateau Chateau' for those of us where the hope of running improvement is now just a wistful folly, but where clinging onto our last vestige of even meager athleticism (compared to couch potatoes) and stemming the otherwise precipitous decline, remains the goal
    Am Yisrael Chai

Plateau chateau....love it! Be my guest and create said haven for those of us who can only now reflect on past glories! Sad gits ain't we?!🤣

Sounds good to me, I'm another living on memories of past glories whilst contemplating my body disintegrating around me!
    Don't roll with a pig in poo. You get covered in poo and the pig likes it.

Master
    Dwelling on the past is not for me I prefer to embrace the future and make the most of what I still have. Making and setting realistic goals and living for the moment.
    The older I get the Faster I was

Master
    Within sight of Leicestershire's Beacon Hill
    Sorry to hear you may not be able to run any more, Wheeze; but keep walking up those mountains.

Actually, it's rather surprising that my joints have still survived so well, despite my rather clumsy running style, especially downhill. The most plausible explanation is my rather lax attitude to training: my lifetime mileage is probably rather less than most fell runners of my age, so the accumulated stress on my joints is less.
    In his lifetime he suffered from unreality, as do so many Englishmen.
    Jorge Luis Borges

John, stopping running is all about embracing the future for me...want to continue to enjoy myself without too much pain!

Master
    John, stopping running is all about embracing the future for me...want to continue to enjoy myself without too much pain!
    That Pretty much applies to myself and most of the folk I know (Young and older).

I hope you have fun and remember the future may be long or short so just live the moment to the full and good luck
    Last edited by JohnK; 17-05-2022 at 08:34 PM.

Plateau chateau....love it! Be my guest and create said haven for those of us who can only now reflect on past glories! Sad gits ain't we?!🤣
    No, I don't think this is the right way to go. I think that those who are, er, 'over the hill', (and I most definitely fall into this category), get enough coverage already.

The recent posts on the 'Aldermans ascent' thread (below) have revealed what a lot of members think the sport should be about: going as fast as you can; competing in, rather than completing, events. If we genuinely want to move the forum, and the sport, forward then we should be trying to stimulate more conversations about races, training, tactics, equipment etc, and not promoting a sad gits club to talk about 'the good old days'

Quote Originally Posted by Llani Boy View Post
    I have just viewed some photographs of todays Alderman's Ascent fell race and some of them show runners who have stopped and posed to have their photographs taken.

Why someone would pay to enter a "race" and then do such a thing is beyond me!
    Quote Originally Posted by Travs View Post
    Anyone jumping up and clicking their heels together should be immediately dq'd in my opinion.... (or preferably machine-gunned down as they cross the finish line)
    Quote Originally Posted by Graham Breeze View Post
    Well not everybody is a "pot hunter" you know!

For some people the pleasure is sharing the sense of camaraderie, embracing the joy of sport, taking in the views and smelling the flowers.

Or so I've been told.

Can't understand that twaddle myself - but what do I know?
    Quote Originally Posted by MattPo View Post
    Even giving a thumbs up is a bit infa dig in my humble opinion. Smacks of mud/paint run; very non U as Ms Mitford would say.
    Quote Originally Posted by Travs View Post
    I had a bit of "debate" with someone on the facebook page in the last few weeks... they were claiming that fellracing is not about competition but about the camaraderie and everybody getting round and having fun...

An admirable viewpoint to have, i am sure... but what utter twaddle...
    Quote Originally Posted by mr brightside View Post
    Complete poppycock. It's all very casual on FB in my opinion, that's what's good about the forum, there are many serious racers.

Master
    Quote Originally Posted by Marco View Post
    No, I don't think this is the right way to go. I think that those who are, er, 'over the hill', (and I most definitely fall into this category), get enough coverage already.

The recent posts on the 'Aldermans ascent' thread (below) have revealed what a lot of members think the sport should be about: going as fast as you can; competing in, rather than completing, events. If we genuinely want to move the forum, and the sport, forward then we should be trying to stimulate more conversations about races, training, tactics, equipment etc, and not promoting a sad gits club to talk about 'the good old days'
    SPOT ON MARCO it would be better for the forum if there were more posts by people that followed the quote :-

DON`T LIMIT YOUR CHALLENGES but CHALLENGE YOUR LIMITS

Anybody and everybody could live by that quote and be able to inspire and motivate folk by relaying interesting posts on a forum.

After all the biggest competition anybody enters into is the lifelong challenge against themselves.

Bemoaning your lot and living in the past is not really that interesting to other people, that maybe a little harsh but sadly it`s true.
    Last edited by JohnK; 18-05-2022 at 08:43 PM.