Page 4 of 5 FirstFirst ... 2345 LastLast

Thread: Tumbling down the hill.......

Being a self appointed Ambassador for real ale it might surprise you that I rarely have a post race pint as 1) I am usually driving and 2) If I drink in the afternoon I just want to sleep.

It is usually only after local evening races and our Thursday RATRun that I partake.

In fact I've not had a beer for over two weeks as one of my rules is no running = no beer.

Yes, I know, very strange!
    Visibility good except in Hill Fog

[QUOTE=MattPo;679118.

Only having a laugh![/QUOTE]

Having a laugh is not permitted any longer. One has to run around Po faced from now on. Sorry.

Anyway MattPo, many Happy Returns for tomorrow and good luck on your final 2,000er. Hope you get a view!

Why would someone who is evidently offended by others drinking habits be reading a thread in the Down the Pub section anyway?

At least this forum is organised into sections to allow selective reading unlike farcebook which I assume is just an endless stream of drivel.
    Last edited by bigfella; 22-05-2022 at 09:43 AM.
    Cause tramps like us, baby we were born to run

I'm sure Llani boy remembers the old Milk Bar in town?
    Perhaps this down the pub should be renamed down the milk bar, so as not to upset anyone.
    Ahh, forgot about vegans and no dairy - back to the drawing board.
    Don't roll with a pig in poo. You get covered in poo and the pig likes it.

Quote Originally Posted by molehill View Post
    I'm sure Llani boy remembers the old Milk Bar in town?
    Perhaps this down the pub should be renamed down the milk bar, so as not to upset anyone.
    Ahh, forgot about vegans and no dairy - back to the drawing board.
    I certainly do Moley. They had a large square glass milk tank on on the counter with a paddle in it which kept the milk moving. In fact my Auntie Kay, not a real Auntie, was manageress for a few years. There was a chain of them in Mid-Wales and I think their full name was National Milk Bars Ltd.

They are now sadly long gone but the premises in Llani are still run as a cafe.

When you are back at the drawing board perhaps you could give thought to the banning of Fell Race registrations being held in pubs. That would thin the calendar down a bit.

Anyway MattPo, many Happy Returns for tomorrow and good luck on your final 2,000er. Hope you get a view![/QUOTE]

Thanks Llani, a fine day out was had, though cloudy on top. More details to follow on this epic journey.

I think I've tumbled so far down the hill that I can no longer see the top. 18 minutes down at the first CP on Jura last weekend, only just within the cutoff and going backwards. No problems there on the last 17 Juras - I'm at a loss to explain it, as far as I'm aware I haven't had Covid and I've done some decent training.
    On a related note to the posts above - I don't drink either and have never had any hassle or Mickey taking from other fell runners - quite the opposite if anything.

Master
    Within sight of Leicestershire's Beacon Hill
    Quote Originally Posted by Mark G View Post
    I think I've tumbled so far down the hill that I can no longer see the top. 18 minutes down at the first CP on Jura last weekend, only just within the cutoff and going backwards. No problems there on the last 17 Juras - I'm at a loss to explain it, as far as I'm aware I haven't had Covid and I've done some decent training.
    I wouldn't get too despondent about one dreadful result. I think you're a similar age to me (60's), and I have found that my running ability has been going down in sudden steps rather than a gradual decrease; but after a step down, I can then maintain or even improve my running for a while. For the last two or three months I have been running slightly better than on similar courses last Summer.
    In his lifetime he suffered from unreality, as do so many Englishmen.
    Jorge Luis Borges

Hey Mark, congrats on getting to do 18 Jura races! I only got there 4 times as part of the Scottish Islands Peaks race. And then, I only did the Junior course as I was the responsible adult runner/guide for the junior RAF team. Its a very special place. I envy you for getting around the full course. You will have made special memories irrespective of the time. The truth is, the mountains WILL win in the end!
    Simon Blease
    Monmouth

Thanks both of you. I'm not ready to give up just yet but I've got to admit I didn't carry on this time so I've only actually done 17 - or 16 if you don't count the bad weather course (which I intend to). Unfortunately I started doing Jura comparatively late in my running career due to work commitments when I was younger. I'm 63 now so not ready for the scrap heap I hope but I've noticed more and more often that I'm a long way from the finish when I would previously have been back and enjoying a pie.