Page 2 of 5 FirstFirst 1234 ... LastLast

Thread: Tumbling down the hill.......

Marco, John. I fully understand your points and indeed accept their premise but this is another example of the bear trap of generalisation. In this wonderful Forum there are whole sections and multiple threads devoted to races, training, tactics, equipment and I have, of course, contributed to them fully over the last 15 years or so. But we've always had a Down The Pub section for idle chit chat. And what is said there should not be seen to be anything remotely relevant to the main thrust of talking about running and racing in the fells anymore than a real life pint or two in a bar after a race is relevant to the race.
    But it would be churlish for anyone to admit that those times spent in the post-race pub with folk of like mind are not a very pleasurable side bar to the whole enterprise of getting out in the fells. And would any active runners really bar or snub any previously active racers who, by force of circumstance, have had to hang up their Walshes? I honestly dont think so, do you? So where is the harm in having a similar courtesy offered to those in our virtual bar? Whilst I like to recall my greatest times in racing (and who doesn't) I am more motivated by keeping those precious friendships alive whilst having to embrace change to my physical ability. Yes, we can joke about "sad gits" club but there is the very real issue of the mental health of those who can no longer run or race but get a feeling of support from being able to sociably compare their experiences (old and new) with those in similar circumstances.
    Simon Blease
    Monmouth

Agreed... i clearly love the racing side of things... but i don't think a few "sad git" (for want of a better description!) threads are a sign that the forum has lost its racing edge.

Room for everyone and everything IMO.

Well put Wheeze.

Quote Originally Posted by Wheeze View Post
    Marco, John. I fully understand your points and indeed accept their premise but this is another example of the bear trap of generalisation. In this wonderful Forum there are whole sections and multiple threads devoted to races, training, tactics, equipment and I have, of course, contributed to them fully over the last 15 years or so. But we've always had a Down The Pub section for idle chit chat. And what is said there should not be seen to be anything remotely relevant to the main thrust of talking about running and racing in the fells anymore than a real life pint or two in a bar after a race is relevant to the race.
    But it would be churlish for anyone to admit that those times spent in the post-race pub with folk of like mind are not a very pleasurable side bar to the whole enterprise of getting out in the fells. And would any active runners really bar or snub any previously active racers who, by force of circumstance, have had to hang up their Walshes? I honestly dont think so, do you? So where is the harm in having a similar courtesy offered to those in our virtual bar? Whilst I like to recall my greatest times in racing (and who doesn't) I am more motivated by keeping those precious friendships alive whilst having to embrace change to my physical ability. Yes, we can joke about "sad gits" club but there is the very real issue of the mental health of those who can no longer run or race but get a feeling of support from being able to sociably compare their experiences (old and new) with those in similar circumstances.
    Nail-hit-on-the-head +1
    Am Yisrael Chai

Quote Originally Posted by Mossdog View Post
    Nail-hit-on-the-head +1
    ...+2
    Visibility good except in Hill Fog

+3 to Wheeze. I have always raced to the limit of my ability. When I was at my fastest it might have got me into the top half of finishers in a fell race, on a good day. Now I'm lucky if my best efforts get me out of the bottom quarter (on a good day). I would not criticise anyone who felt they had time to pose in front of a race photographer. Good luck to 'em I say. They'd still beat me anyway (even if I wasn't taking any pictures myself ). I also like reminiscing on the good old days when I was a bit faster and indulge in a spot of self flagellation over how rubbish I am now, proving how competitive I still am with myself. After a few years' medical hiccup I'm still lucky enough to be able to race, sort of, so I do. Where once my target was PBs it's now PW avoidance. I often fail on that count but I'm resigned to it now. All I know is that racing to MY limit does me a power of good mentally and physically and, get this, it's made my knees less painful again (tendon soreness from 25 years of hammering the downhills and Ultras). Tendons need exercise.

One thing I do know...do not be afraid of change. I have been through a few challenging changes in a professional career and they have all worked out for the good.
    I feel better for sharing the disappointment of losing racing and now running and am already embracing good fun new challenges of road biking and eMTB riding in the hills. Fell racing and running has been a massive part of my life for over 35 years. Its no surprise that it stings to admit its gone. Anyway, its time to retire my running persona.
    For those who don't already know, Wheeze is Simon Blease, a consultant radiologist living in Monmouth, South Wales. I raced for Les Croupiers, Mynyddwyr De Cymru and latterly for Clwb Rhedwyr Brycheiniog. I also represented the RAF in the Scottish Islands Peaks race for 4 years in the 90's. I've been a race organiser, resident cartoonist for the Fell Runner magazine and a founder member of the reconvened Welsh Fell Runners Association in the early 2000's. That much is a matter of record but it fails to paint a full picture of how much I have loved and gained from being an active member of a very special group of athletes in some of the most wonderful country in the world. We are all very lucky to live where we do.
    Simon Blease
    Monmouth

Wheeze is entirely correct in his decision, there comes a time (most likely age related) when the body does not function as it did and damage is being done. Irrelevant of how motivated we may still be to race or run the hills only a fool would continue to ignore the warning signs (pain is a good one) and carry on regardless. Probably later seeking sympathy when surgery for "new bits" are required.
    Giving up fell running is not the end of the world, you simply have to mentally adapt to the next best thing that your body can manage. Walking, biking, swimming or whatever, I turn 70 this year and am damn thankful I can still do what I can (currently nursing bad Achilles, so bike it is) when I look about the country at others of my age.
    Keep plodding on, but accept reality when it stares you in the face.
    Don't roll with a pig in poo. You get covered in poo and the pig likes it.

At least we shared what turned out to be my last race together (although I did not know it at the time). I remember tumbling over the line just ahead of you, giggling at the daftness of that last mad plunge at Fan Fawr.

Yes, and I remember on the return thinking "I'm going to catch Wheeze before the line", and you sat on your arse and went down at twice the speed I was running 😱.
    Should have demanded a full stewards enquiry 😂.
    Don't roll with a pig in poo. You get covered in poo and the pig likes it.