Page 3 of 5 FirstFirst 12345 LastLast

Thread: Tumbling down the hill.......

Wheeze,

In your ill-advised attempt to lecture JohnK and I, you made a point of 'the bear trap of generalisation' only to make this generalisation three sentences later

Quote Originally Posted by Wheeze View Post
    ... And what is said there should not be seen to be anything remotely relevant to the main thrust of talking about running and racing in the fells anymore than a real life pint or two in a bar after a race is relevant to the race.
    But it would be churlish for anyone to admit that those times spent in the post-race pub with folk of like mind are not a very pleasurable side bar to the whole enterprise of getting out in the fells.
    I can honestly say that in my 19 years of club fell/track/XC/road running, and 14 years of cycle racing before that, I never had a post-race, or post-training pint.

There is a very good, and simple reason for this. I was born into a non-drinking religion.

For people who follow a non-drinking religion your generalisation, inferring that we all do it, is highly offensive; some people might even refer to it as religious bigotry. It will deter, and even prevent, some people from taking up the sport.

And to those members who strongly agreed with Wheeze's post, you have, unwittingly, also nailed your colours to the mast for all to see.

I feel that there is no longer room for people like me here now, so I am closing my account. I won't refer to it as a forum, as it now seems to be a cosy echo-chamber, suitable only for white, Christian, narrow-minded male bigots.

Well as they used to say in VIZ Knobcheese! And as the Macc Lads used to say Beer, Beer, Get the F**cking Beer in! So Long Marco - As the dyslecsic said - There is no dog.

Only having a laugh!

Metaphorism rules!🤣
    Better stop breathing in case my method of inhaling offends!

WOW Marco.

Did you get out of the wrong side of the bed this morning.

One of our Thursday RATRunners has never touched alcohol, other than in hand sanitiser, but he happily comes to the pub, even suggests venues, and drinks soft drinks. We respect him for that but do take the piss sometimes as he is always in the dentist!

Its a shame you have left as I have usually found your posts most informative.
    Visibility good except in Hill Fog

Quote Originally Posted by Marco View Post
    Wheeze,

In your ill-advised attempt to lecture JohnK and I, you made a point of 'the bear trap of generalisation' only to make this generalisation three sentences later

I can honestly say that in my 19 years of club fell/track/XC/road running, and 14 years of cycle racing before that, I never had a post-race, or post-training pint.

There is a very good, and simple reason for this. I was born into a non-drinking religion.

For people who follow a non-drinking religion your generalisation, inferring that we all do it, is highly offensive; some people might even refer to it as religious bigotry. It will deter, and even prevent, some people from taking up the sport.

And to those members who strongly agreed with Wheeze's post, you have, unwittingly, also nailed your colours to the mast for all to see.

I feel that there is no longer room for people like me here now, so I am closing my account. I won't refer to it as a forum, as it now seems to be a cosy echo-chamber, suitable only for white, Christian, narrow-minded male bigots.
    WTF is that all about?
    Don't roll with a pig in poo. You get covered in poo and the pig likes it.

I have conversed with Marco via PM re this...

Sad to see him go, and hope he feels able to come back in the future.

I haven't commented directly to him specifically regarding this post, as quite frankly I didn't offer to help out with the forum to spend my time debating stuff like this, and we have "parted on good terms" so to speak.

But I'm sure he would appreciate me commenting honestly on this, as we have done on other subjects via PM...

It's certainly not for me to decide what people from other backgrounds and religions can and can't be offended about... However it does seem to have been some quite innocuous and innocent phrases having been turned into a massive issue...

While I've got absolutely no issue with people being religious, and utmost respect for them if it makes their lives better... I've got little time for it myself, be that Christian or anything else, and certainly don't think it should impinge on what people can and can't write on here.... And I say that as someone who worked in a company with a very heavy religious culture for a number of years with no issue at all...
    Last edited by Travs; 21-05-2022 at 09:41 PM.

Master
    This thread is a prime example of why the forum has very little chance of attracting new subscribers and its long term survival, what is there to attract anybody that is interested in fellrunning

Just get a a grip people
    Last edited by JohnK; 21-05-2022 at 10:09 PM.
    The older I get the Faster I was

John, its one thread, in an off-topic subsection.

Clearly its gone awry in the last couple of hours which is most unfortunate.

But if people want to gloss over the interesting debate there's been on the champs race this weekend, other races as well, multiple training threads, something about the Ramsey round, possibly something injury-related as well.... Then we really can't do much about that...

I also notice that on the Facebook page this week the debate about "diversity and inclusion in fellrunning" nearly topped 100 posts... Today's post on the champs race on there had 3 posts at my last count...

So I don't think we're doing too badly in the grand scheme of things...

And I think when people have been called out as potential "religious bigots", they have every right to throw their two-penneth in and defend themselves...
    Last edited by Travs; 21-05-2022 at 10:28 PM.

Master
    Within sight of Leicestershire's Beacon Hill
    I find it sad that someone would be so offended by a comment as innocuous as Wheeze's one about post-race pints. Some of you have have noticed hints from various of my posts that I am a Christian; there have been a few posts from others on the Forum that I could easily regard as being offensive to me as a Christian, but I prefer to simply acknowledge that my beliefs are in a small minority (at least in the UK), and this is what I should expect. Oh, and my post-race pints are water; when I'm really thirsty, beer just won't do the job.
    In his lifetime he suffered from unreality, as do so many Englishmen.
    Jorge Luis Borges

Sparkling water with lemon for me!

Perhaps a pint of coke (full sugar and fat please!) if I'm feeling lavish...