Thread: Compression clothing - any good?

Compression clothing - any good?

I've read the thread about compression socks and calf sleeves, but wonder if anyone has any further experience.

I'm asking as someone has recently bought me a 2XU compression top. Of course I was grateful for the thought and pressie, but it's a top rather than calf sleeves, and I don't bike or do triathlons so might have limited use. Nevertheless, it boosts magical cooling properties and a UV50 rating, so perhaps of some us in the summer? Quite frankly I'll grab at anything that might give me an edge , but perhaps this gear is just gimmicky?
    Am Yisrael Chai

I had a compression top as a present a couple of Christmases ago. Wore it twice and hated it for one simple reason, the compression.

I just did not like the feeling of such a skin tight garment, I found it claustrophobic!

Helly Hansen Lifa is my compression limit.

I do sometimes wear calf sleeves for warmth in winter rather than for the compression.
    Visibility good except in Hill Fog

Quote Originally Posted by Llani Boy View Post
    I had a compression top as a present a couple of Christmases ago. Wore it twice and hated it for one simple reason, the compression.

I just did not like the feeling of such a skin tight garment, I found it claustrophobic!

Helly Hansen Lifa is my compression limit.

I do sometimes wear calf sleeves for warmth in winter rather than for the compression.
    Yeah, I can also see the restriction being any issue for me too, aside from also providing an unwelcomed, nagging reminder, of my carrot-cake consumption rate!
    Am Yisrael Chai

Master
    I wear 2XU tights every day of the year. They only come off when I am in bed. I have no idea if they have any effect on my performance, but they feel nice, and protect my legs from ticks, vegetation, and the cold.

Quote Originally Posted by Mike T View Post
    I wear 2XU tights every day of the year. They only come off when I am in bed. I have no idea if they have any effect on my performance, but they feel nice, and protect my legs from ticks, vegetation, and the cold.
    Ummmm...I wore the top out yesterday evening, just for my local, out-the-back-door-onto-the-fells run. First impressions are that it restricted my breathing. Also, despite claiming to have magical, Swiss textile technology, cooling properties on the product description, it was (and this is obvious really) much hotter than I would have wanted and normally I would have worn a light vest in last evening's temperature. The high UV protection of the compression top was a plus though.

Think I'll use it for less aerobically demanding activities like kayaking.

Those leggings do sound comfy Mike, and I wonder if you've inadvertently let slip one of the secrets of your super-endurance, mega-running prowess
    Am Yisrael Chai

Master
    Quote Originally Posted by Mossdog View Post
    Ummmm...I wore the top out yesterday evening, just for my local, out-the-back-door-onto-the-fells run. First impressions are that it restricted my breathing. Also, despite claiming to have magical, Swiss textile technology, cooling properties on the product description, it was (and this is obvious really) much hotter than I would have wanted and normally I would have worn a light vest in last evening's temperature. The high UV protection of the compression top was a plus though.

Think I'll use it for less aerobically demanding activities like kayaking.

Those leggings do sound comfy Mike, and I wonder if you've inadvertently let slip one of the secrets of your super-endurance, mega-running prowess
    Certainly I do not get any muscle soreness - whether that is due to compression tights or not, who knows, though some muscle soreness is probably due to muscles "shaking around".

Compression tops are useless to me, but the pants are a godsend. What i've worked out after years of wearing them every day is that they help your soft tissue heal. The marketing blurb goes on about performance gains and stuff, but the recovery gains are what is noticable. As far as i can see the compression reduces swelling and the fabric layer keeps heat in, thus giving the optimum conditions for recovery. I sleep in them too; you can smear comfrey oil on your knees, overlay it with cling film, then stick a pair of compression pants over the top thus keeeping everything in place. Also, with the pants creating the ideal conditions for tissue repair, when your body decides to repair itself which only happens during specific cycles of sleep, you maximise the effect.

The only problem is the way some of the brands design the area around your fruitbowl. Skins DNAmic Ace/Ice have an appalling construction and will have your balls sore in a matter of hours, wheras the DNAmic styles which feature the yellow dashed line are better. The now discontinued Skins A400 were the best for all day wearing, but if you straddle sizes, go up a size not down a size or the elastic in the waistband will go on you. 2XU Accelerate pants are probably the best value, and they come in the much sought after 'tall' variant for those with long legs. Also they are very strong and can be pulled off over a sweaty foot without the seams tearing. The Elite compression pants with the silver X on the side seem to want to fall down quite a lot.

You can't just start wearing them daily and immediately feel better though. The repair processes they encourage can sometimes take months to gain momentum.
    Luke Appleyard (Wharfedale)- quick on the dissent

Master
    I first bought a pair of 2XU tights on the recommendation of a running mate who felt they really cut down on DOMS after long runs. I tried on various sizes in a local shop and bought a pair. Years later when these were showing lots of wear from frequent use I went on line to buy some more, as the shop no longer stocked them, but could not remember what size I had been wearing - the initial pair were labelled M but was that "Medium" or Male? I messaged them with my height/weight and they felt I should get "Small" as per their sizing chart, or even the next size down if I wanted lots of compression. I opted for "Small" and have been wearing that size ever since.

I find them comfortable around the groin - the only slight issue is how tight they are around the ankles - they can be quite hard to get off, especially when damp/wet.

Quote Originally Posted by Mike T View Post
    I first bought a pair of 2XU tights on the recommendation of a running mate who felt they really cut down on DOMS after long runs. I tried on various sizes in a local shop and bought a pair. Years later when these were showing lots of wear from frequent use I went on line to buy some more, as the shop no longer stocked them, but could not remember what size I had been wearing - the initial pair were labelled M but was that "Medium" or Male? I messaged them with my height/weight and they felt I should get "Small" as per their sizing chart, or even the next size down if I wanted lots of compression. I opted for "Small" and have been wearing that size ever since.

I find them comfortable around the groin - the only slight issue is how tight they are around the ankles - they can be quite hard to get off, especially when damp/wet.
    Just to be clear, do you run in these Mike or, as you mentioned above, they're worn all day when you're not out running?
    Am Yisrael Chai

Master
    Quote Originally Posted by Mossdog View Post
    Just to be clear, do you run in these Mike or, as you mentioned above, they're worn all day when you're not out running?
    I run in them every day of the year. I have half a dozen pairs; they are in the wash after every run.