Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: New chevin race...!?

It's bulking up a bit now, there are more than last year which will probably make V40 more competitive.
    Luke Appleyard (Wharfedale)- quick on the dissent

Yeah, deffo a much stronger field this year, but not much better at navigating i have to say. Tindersticks came for a leg loosener after suffering a recent bout of covid, i talked him through the route making sure to mention the numerous blind turns and awkward maze-like stretches of heavily wooded trails. After my blow by blow of the deceptively tricky route, a lady runner mentioned she was getting rather worried; she was right to be, LK is essential for a trouble free run.

The chaos began very early when the flagged route differed from the map, dropping you over to CP2 on a different line. The guy in front of me went very wrong almost straight away, and as i descended to CP2 after having picked off a couple of strugglers in road shoes, people were arriving from every conceivable direction; the road, the right way, and crashing through the thickets and brambles of the woods.

I got my arse handed to me on the 550' climb back up, everyone i'd beaten to CP2 cruised past me. Tried to shake off a guy from Fellandale later on, but he passed me during my planned walk section to eat a gel, i'd identified this section as the best place and stuck to my fuelling plan at the expense of a place. After that it was just one of those attritional situations where someone gets 5yds on you every minute for 10mins, he was well in front on the run along the bottom of Pool Scar Wood. Strangely after the climb up out of the wood he had vanished along with two others, and people were all over the place again. At my visit to CP8 manned by forumite Multiterrainer it was confirmed to me that people were going wrong again and heading round for a second lap probably.

The next section up to the trig at Caley Deer Park was a weak leg for me last time, but i was still running strongly and took the climbs without dropping to a walk; a good performance, probably due to the tough lakes races i've been knocking out recently. Knowing how badly some had screwed up i insisted the marshal at the trig took my number. I kept going hard all the way up Miller Lane and was joined by two lost lady runners at the top, they will have gone wrong in Pool Scar and short cutted back through Danefield.

Overall a very strong run that was well executed and well prepared for. Not seen any results yet.

We Need To Talk About Chevin.jpg

I see you managed an impressive top 10....

Quote Originally Posted by Travs View Post
    I see you managed an impressive top 10....
    Well, out of 58 yes. There were a lot of counters in the tub at the last drop, more than 9, they all missed the turn out of Pool Scar Wood due to incomplete LK.