Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast

Thread: Tour de France 2022

[QUOTE=PeteS;679660]So which Frenchman will have a pop at the L'Alpe on Bastille day? Bardet or Pinot perhaps?

With Bardet having put so much in yesterday, perhaps Cosnefroy for AG2R Citroen.
    Visibility good except in Hill Fog

Not the toughest climbs. Maybe a leading player will go for a long one today? I'll be watching from the off.
    Richard Taylor
    "William Tell could take an apple off your head. Taylor could take out a processed pea."
    Sid Waddell

All been good entertainment so far and this week may be even better, I would like to see G retain a place (any place) on the podium - looks like the youngsters have the GC race sown up for a few years to come.
    Don't roll with a pig in poo. You get covered in poo and the pig likes it.

Live in Brum, run in Worcestershire and Shropshire
    Well today's last climb was tough. Tough enough to limit any ambition of taking minutes off rivals. Good tactics from both Jumbo and Ineos to get some support up the road (and bidons too) in the final few km.
    With Bardet and Quintana well beaten with a 40km TT yet to come, I would think that Ineos plan to preserve G on a 3rd spot on the podium and hope Vin/Pog blow each other out. Either could yet blow up and leverage big time so who knows.
    The next 2 stages will be pivotal but Thursday is set to be a belter.
    Pete Shakespeare - U/A

Going downhill fast

Yes, another great stage.

Talking about bidons I saw one rider shove 7 of them down the back of his jersey. If they hold .75 of a litre each then he suddenly had to pedal around with nearly 6 extra kilos, almost the weight of his bike!
    Visibility good except in Hill Fog

There does appear to be an unofficial competition as to who can stuff the most water bottles down the back of their vest, comentators mentioned that the longer torso riders have the advantage - think there was mention of 11 being the current record on tour?

Master
    Within sight of Leicestershire's Beacon Hill
    Quote Originally Posted by molehill View Post
    There does appear to be an unofficial competition as to who can stuff the most water bottles down the back of their vest, comentators mentioned that the longer torso riders have the advantage - think there was mention of 11 being the current record on tour?
    Is that the cyclists' version of the fell runners' problem of stuffing everything they need for a long race (FRA required kit plus any extra food and drink) into a bumbag?
    In his lifetime he suffered from unreality, as do so many Englishmen.
    Jorge Luis Borges

Quote Originally Posted by PeteS View Post
    ...but Thursday is set to be a belter.
    I was on the roadside of the Hautacam climb in 1996 when Riis destroyed Indurain and any hope he had of winning a 6th Tour.

Second in the GC that year, and propping up Riis, was Jan Ullrich (who then won in 1997 and came second to Armstrong five times) and I am currently reading Daniel Friebe's magisterial biography of Ullrich - which he has subtitled "The Best There Never Was".

I don't know now how many times I watched the Tour from the road side but that day on the Hautacam was one that changed the Tour and cycling forever.
    "...as dry as the Atacama desert".

Live in Brum, run in Worcestershire and Shropshire
    Well today looks likely to be the final Vin/Pog shoot out at the last chance saloon. I reckon Pog needs at least a minute today to turn it over in Saturday's TT. Ineos and G seem to be riding well and sensibly with hopefully a position on the podium pretty much in the bag.

BTW I think this has been the best tour I can remember since the days of Hinault, Lemond, Fignon et Al. Proper old school racing and long may it continue.
    Pete Shakespeare - U/A

Going downhill fast

I think that is sorted then for 1,2,3places. Barring accidents, covid etc.
    Edge of the seat viewing though.