Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast

Thread: Tour de France 2022

Live in Brum, run in Worcestershire and Shropshire
    Quote Originally Posted by molehill View Post
    I think that is sorted then for 1,2,3places. Barring accidents, covid etc.
    Edge of the seat viewing though.
    Another remarkable stage yesterday and good to see Vingegaard waiting up for Pog after his crash.
    There still could be a few changes in the minor places but as you say, the podium looks to be sorted barring major incidents.
    Last edited by PeteS; 22-07-2022 at 01:56 PM.
    Pete Shakespeare - U/A

Going downhill fast

Quote Originally Posted by PeteS View Post
    Another remarkable stage yesterday and good to see Vingegaard waiting up for Pog after his crash.
    There still could be a few changes in the minor places but as you say, the podium looks to be sorted barring major incidents.
    On the face of it, yes, a very sporting gesture by Vingegaard but he was also ensuring that Pogacar would have been obliged to return the compliment should he had also taken a tumble further down the hill!
    Last edited by Llani Boy; 22-07-2022 at 08:22 PM.
    Visibility good except in Hill Fog

Quote Originally Posted by Llani Boy View Post
    On the face of it, yes, a very sporting gesture by Vingegaard but he was also ensuring that Pogacar would have been obliged return the compliment should he had also taken a tumble further down the hill!
    Still it's always heartening to listen to David Millar (ITV4) tell us about the values etc in pro. bike riding.

But would that be the same David Millar who was banned for two years for taking EPO to cheat his fellow riders...?
    "...as dry as the Atacama desert".

Quote Originally Posted by Graham Breeze View Post
    Still it's always heartening to listen to David Millar (ITV4) tell us about the values etc in pro. bike riding.

But would that be the same David Millar who was banned for two years for taking EPO to cheat his fellow riders...?
    It is but having enjoyed reading his autobiography, I was left with the distinct impression that the professional peleton in that era was pretty much a pharmacy on 2 wheels anyway.
    Regardless, I do enjoy the insights you get from ex-pro's commentary and at least he is far more coherent than Sean Kelly!
    Pete Shakespeare - U/A

Going downhill fast

Quote Originally Posted by PeteS View Post
    It is but having enjoyed reading his autobiography, I was left with the distinct impression that the professional peleton in that era was pretty much a pharmacy on 2 wheels anyway.
    Regardless, I do enjoy the insights you get from ex-pro's commentary and at least he is far more coherent than Sean Kelly!
    I've read both of his autobiographies and others including eg Riis who was not the most innocent rider on two wheels.

But not everyone was taking drugs in that era and what has always stuck in my craw was that Millar, who is an educated and articulate man, tried very hard to cast himself as a victim. A millionaire victim. Millar ranks just above the loathsome Virenque in my book. Just.

I don't have much sympathy for Armstrong (it was watching him on l'Alpe d'Huez that made me decide to stop watching the Tour by the road side for ever)but at least he didn't blame every body else whilst sticking the syringe in his arm.
    "...as dry as the Atacama desert".

I was thinking this evening, nobody has mentioned drugs.
    Any thoughts on this tour?
    Don't roll with a pig in poo. You get covered in poo and the pig likes it.

There don't appear to be many asthmatics this time around!

I would rather not derail this thread on what has been an exceptional tour but police did search Bahrain Victorious' hotel and vehicles on the Thursday before the tour started so there is still suspicion of foul play if apparently no evidence at this stage.
    Pete Shakespeare - U/A

Going downhill fast

Back on track and on what looked like quite an innocuous stage, another great day of racing and another great ride from Jumbo who even with dwindling numbers have looked a class act throughout.

Today's TT should be interesting. Will G or Pog have a go or is there nothing left in the legs?
    Will Wout fancy it or save himself for the champs?
    My money is on Filippo Ganna...
    Pete Shakespeare - U/A

Going downhill fast

Those Femmes avec Zwift certainly know how to crash!