Page 19 of 19 FirstFirst ... 9171819

Thread: Arenig Fawr

Master
    Within sight of Leicestershire's Beacon Hill
    Currently 21 entered, of whom 9 are M/W60 or older. Places still available for the Arenig Fawr Old Folks Gathering & Fell Race. At least it looks like the RO has arranged some proper fell-running weather for Saturday: https://www.metoffice.gov.uk/weather...ate=2021-07-24 .
    In his lifetime he suffered from unreality, as do so many Englishmen.
    Jorge Luis Borges

Results are up below, 30 finishers, 1 retired.
    Golden pair Lloyd Taggart and Jackie Lee's record times from 2014, were untouched.

https://www.racetek-live.co.uk/websi...plete_results/

Master
    Well, I didn't come last . . .

My navigation was perfect; but there is a big difference between navigation and finding the best line. I knew where I was, and where I was going, relative to the features on the map at all times (even though I never looked at the map during the race, having spent so much time studying it beforehand that it was imprinted in my brain). But "where I was going" was often through the roughest terrain. The contouring leg from CP1 to CP2 is considered the crux: ahead of me, some runners went high and others went low; I took the straightest route, in the middle, through scree, tussocks, . . .

However, my big mistake was to ignore the golden rule that one should refuel before one starts to feel low on energy. I don't know why I did this; maybe it was the euphoria of racing through such glorious terrain. Anyway, it cost me about 14 minutes. How do I know this? Well, having continued my rubbish line-finding on the descent from CP2, I met Rebecca Good who had taken a better line. From there, all the way up and down Moel Llyfnant and back across to the start of the ascent of Arenig Fawr, we were never more than 20 metres apart. Then I blew up early on that final big climb, and started desperately stuffing myself with food. Rebecca finished nearly 14 minutes ahead of me.

This is a wonderful race, and just about at the limit of what I feel capable of these days. After the quarry track at the start, hardly any of it is on any kind of path; and The Gully is the steepest and rockiest ascent that I can recall in any fell race. Excellent organisation by Bowland Fell Runners. Good to meet Wheezing Donkey from the Forum and, yes Ian, I did sort out my bicycle chain.
    Jorge Luis Borges

Quote Originally Posted by anthonykay View Post
    Well, I didn't come last . . .

My navigation was perfect; but there is a big difference between navigation and finding the best line. I knew where I was, and where I was going, relative to the features on the map at all times (even though I never looked at the map during the race, having spent so much time studying it beforehand that it was imprinted in my brain). But "where I was going" was often through the roughest terrain. The contouring leg from CP1 to CP2 is considered the crux: ahead of me, some runners went high and others went low; I took the straightest route, in the middle, through scree, tussocks, . . .
    Well done Anthony, it's a fantastic race.

My scrawled notes on the back of my race map tell me that CP1-CP2...

Low = tussocky grass
    High = Rock/scree
    Middle = avoid (worst of both worlds)!

Master
    From the weather forecast, tomorrow looks like a good day to NOT have an Arenig Fawr race: https://www.metoffice.gov.uk/weather...ate=2023-07-22
    Jorge Luis Borges

I ran it in perfect conditions and it was tough enough to pick a route.

I guess it's a good thing it was cancelled on the 15th then...
    Sadly it wasn't for the weather forecast, but for extremely low number of entries.
    Shame, hopefully it'll return in '24