Page 12 of 19 FirstFirst ... 21011121314 ... LastLast

Thread: Arenig Fawr

Re: Arenig Fawr

Nice one Yiannis and thanks to the marshalls who put up with some really grotty conditions but still maintained good spirits. The course was very good indeed, a steady run out along a track gave way to a boggy, rocky path heading up and round the back of the Cwm. After that it was intermittently rocky and boggy and pretty challenging to say the least, after a mighty battle over some more bogs the final push up to the first summit seemed relentless. I hope the runner who twisted her ankle on the awkward summit terrain hasn't done anything permanent. The descent off the last crag was mind blowing! Very fast, very rock strewn and a total buzz. After a cautious ascent i was able to use it to my advantage and picked up about 6 places dispite the hazards coming thick and fast, i'd say to anyone who likes a technical descent to run this one up the flagpole- no footpath, just hazards! The run in down the disused railway was unbelievably boggy and really energy consuming, i picked up a couple more places by choosing my routes wisely.

This run has definitely got something about it, i think it's the feeling of isolation and remoteness and the lack of easy running. It's a shame the clag was down as the views must have been cracking.
    Last edited by mr brightside; 03-10-2010 at 09:11 PM.
    Luke Appleyard (Wharfedale)- quick on the dissent

Brilliant race today. The Great Wanderer romped in a clear winner and on a dry course without the fog and wind would of run the record close i reckon.
    I dragged myself over the line in 2nd after some hard work getting rid of the shropy boyos ;-) but great battle.
    Brilliantly organised again, well marked course and thanks to the marshalls out there in pretty grim conditions. But the soup/tea/coffe and of course the cakes after were AWSOME!! could'nt stop eating them, lovely stuff :-)
    Well done to all that competed.
    Thanks.

Forgot about the cakes, the spread had to be seen to be believed and the pea and ham soup was deliciously homely.

One other thing, who was the forumite who said "you take it easy mr brightside" to me on the way to the start? Must have been someone i've met at XOTF but that's as far as i've got so far! Sorry.

sorry!! nightingale if you read this I've PM'd you mate regards the info you wanted.
    Thanks.

Great route and start location for a fell race. I agree with Mr Bs comments about the course, that last flattish boggy mile really tested your stamina. I have done a few of these Welsh routes now and they are real quality.

My thanks to Yiannis and all his helpers and marshalls during the race and of course the scoff afterwards .
    No country for old men.

Quote Originally Posted by mr brightside View Post
    Forgot about the cakes, the spread had to be seen to be believed and the pea and ham soup was deliciously homely.

One other thing, who was the forumite who said "you take it easy mr brightside" to me on the way to the start? Must have been someone i've met at XOTF but that's as far as i've got so far! Sorry.
    'Twas I Mr. B. Just took a calculated guess when I saw the Wharfey vest. I counted the runners out onto the hill, at the dam, then waited for Emmilou sweeping the route from the start and we continued to sweep the full course. Arenig is always a cracking day out, whatever the weather!!

Quote Originally Posted by wheezing donkey View Post
    'Twas I Mr. B. Just took a calculated guess when I saw the Wharfey vest. I counted the runners out onto the hill, at the dam, then waited for Emmilou sweeping the route from the start and we continued to sweep the full course. Arenig is always a cracking day out, whatever the weather!!
    Oh right, hello!

Quote Originally Posted by wheezing donkey View Post
    It almost WAS cracking for you!!! I hope your knee is ok.
    I'd like to know which one of you managed to guide the big black scary looking bull right back onto the path for us sweepers to have to bypass, apparently he was down the other side of the field for you racers

It's a lovely route, I'm sure a few of you would be rewarded with the extra drive it takes to get there, it's well worth it on many levels.

Being a sweeper we managed to linger for a moment at the memorial at the summit of Arenig Fawr for the Flying Fortress crew that perished on the hillside (after surviving the crash) in 1943, the clag seemed somewhat fitting. It was a strong wind indeed along the ridge and there were ample flags to gather! The weather was kind however on the descent with the curtain of cloud opening to allow the sun to shine through displaying some spectacular views, reward indeed for not racing.

Quote Originally Posted by emmilou View Post
    .... some spectacular views, reward indeed for not racing.
    Next time Emma (without the flu) you can enjoy the race and with a bit of luck get clear views all the way.
    ydt

Great Race. Thanks Yiannis and all involved. I could hardly move for hours afterwards I'd eaten soooooo many cakes and there were still loads left when I was leaving.
    Nice to get chance to say a very quick hello to Emma. Yes good job I didn't follow you if you were on sweeping up duty.
    Shame I didn't get chance to meet Mr B but hopefully, now he's discovered the underground Welsh runs, we'll see him down here again.
    For those that are interested I flew over Arenig today and took the photo bellow. Not in Al Tye's legue but you can make out most of the route.