Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Thread: Birmingham 2022

[QUOTE=Travs;679732]Yes thats the Ricoh Arena... or as it is now known the "Coventry Building Society Arena/Stadium"

It is only about a mile off the M6, however it pays to know where you are going, parking, etc, in advance.

Parking there can be somewhat problematic, and the public transport round there is a running joke in Coventry.

Basically you can't park on the streets within about a 1.5 mile radius of the ground... if you want to park on the street then i can advise the closest places you can get to without restrictions. There are car parks around the ground, both official and non-official, of varying cost.

I see what you mean Travs.

Of the recommended car parks at £9.50, all have an estimated shuttle bus time of 40 plus minutes to get to the venue, and that's if they run on time. I'd also have to go into Coventry to come back out again to the venue.

If you have any ideas to park closer they would be welcome. The matches start at 1730 so I would be aiming to get there around 1600. I'd be happy to pay to park on someone's driveway or industrial estate factory car park!
    Visibility good except in Hill Fog

Quote Originally Posted by Llani Boy View Post
    Obviously a box ticking load of bollocks. I'd have to set off at least 7 hours prior to the event to make sure I get there by 6pm and probably would not get home until Sunday afternoon if was lucky.
    It's all the rage these days, just borrow a Rover SD1 off someone and go in that, screw them.
    Luke Appleyard (Wharfedale)- quick on the dissent

[QUOTE=Llani Boy;679747]
    Quote Originally Posted by Travs View Post
    Yes thats the Ricoh Arena... or as it is now known the "Coventry Building Society Arena/Stadium"

It is only about a mile off the M6, however it pays to know where you are going, parking, etc, in advance.

Parking there can be somewhat problematic, and the public transport round there is a running joke in Coventry.

Basically you can't park on the streets within about a 1.5 mile radius of the ground... if you want to park on the street then i can advise the closest places you can get to without restrictions. There are car parks around the ground, both official and non-official, of varying cost.

I see what you mean Travs.

Of the recommended car parks at £9.50, all have an estimated shuttle bus time of 40 plus minutes to get to the venue, and that's if they run on time. I'd also have to go into Coventry to come back out again to the venue.

If you have any ideas to park closer they would be welcome. The matches start at 1730 so I would be aiming to get there around 1600. I'd be happy to pay to park on someone's driveway or industrial estate factory car park!
    I would recommend heading to the area north-west of the Arena.... to the west side of the A444.... as there are a few options round there.

First choice would be the Bull & Anchor pub on Wheelwright Lane. I'd imagine if you bought a couple of drinks they'd happily let you park there during the event.

Failing that, just half a mile down the road is Christ The King football club. This is usually open as a car park on event days, so i'd presume open for the rugby.

Both these options are on the "quieter" side of the arena and no more than 10mins walk to the ground, but i couldn't guarantee their availability on the day. There are no doubt numerous similar options on the "city" side of the ground but i couldn't comment on these.

My parents house is about 1.5 miles (25-30mins walk) from the arena and you'd be quite welcome to park in the cul-de-sac. Its next weekend isn't it...? I'd be around and happy to meet you and walk up to the ground with you, via local pub if necessary! If that is of interest drop me a pm....

[QUOTE=Llani Boy;679747]
    Quote Originally Posted by Travs View Post
    Yes thats the Ricoh Arena... or as it is now known the "Coventry Building Society Arena/Stadium"
    Harrumph. No wonder The Coventry is only paying derisory interest on my poor mum's hard earned savings.
    "...as dry as the Atacama desert".

Thanks for the recommendations Travs. The Bull and Anchor looks favourable.

I might drop you a pm later next week.

All the best at the OCR tomorrow.

The BBC are at it again.

Why is the Birmingham 2022 theme tune sung in a West Indian accent. " It's a Brum ting", I don't know any brummies who talk like that.

All this diversity, ethnicity, and rainbow flag flying being shoved down my throat is pissing me off already.

Looking forward to the Rugby Sevens tomorrow though. At least by watching it live the BBC won't be able to spoil it for me.

Without wanting to derail the thread, i do get a bee in my bonnet when Olympics/Commonwealth Games/etc get taken over by talk about mass participation, legacies, and encouraging new people to take up sport.... is it bollocks, its about the athletes who sacrifice vast parts of their lives to compete at the highest level...

Triathlon today i think.... in Sutton Park, where many forumites will have ran in the National Road Relays...

I've got a clubmate in it... she was top 15 in the National Cross this year so a good runner, but i don't know about her swimming and cycling pedigree (although if she's in the Commonwealth Games i expect its fairly reasonable )

We've also got a wheelchair racer going in one of the sprints over the weekend... whilst i don't know her personally, i believe she picked up several medals at the Rio Olympics.
    Last edited by Travs; 29-07-2022 at 10:51 AM.

Morning Pete

PM on its way.

Enjoyable evening at the Rugby Sevens on Saturday, courtesy of the generous Llani Boy (see you again at Corndon)

A real difference in quality between the games... some were superb (Australia vs NZ women for example), but some were beyond one-sided.

Was quite surprised how international the crowd was, with many teams well-supported.

Nail biting finish to the women's 10k last night. The Kenyan kicked with about 300 to go and i wondered what the hell McColgan was expecting of herself. The commentary team had been going on about how she can finish fast, but i've never seen a white woman finish like a Kenyan. Anyway, she grimaced and overtook for the win, it looked painful.
    Luke Appleyard (Wharfedale)- quick on the dissent