Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123

Thread: Birmingham 2022

Live in Brum, run in Worcestershire and Shropshire
    Another great day in the athletics. Particularly enjoyed the women's 3000m steeplechase.
    Had a great time at the hockey last night. Australia looked formidable and England will have to be on top form to make the final.
    Also managed to take in a bit of the cycling TT. A shame G crashed but at least he remembered to take his gilet off.

Obviously I am biased but I do think our fine city looks amazing on the BBC and we are keeping the bull from the opening ceremony which is all good!
    Pete Shakespeare - U/A

Going downhill fast

Despite the BBC's studio presenters mateyism, all the back story crap, and the English bias I have quite enjoyed the Empire, sorry, Commonwealth Games.

Looking forward to tomorrow evening at the Alexander Stadium, that's if I can find somewhere to park.

Oh, and Geraint Thomas seems to be suffering from the Mario Balotelli syndrome of "Why always me"!
    Last edited by Llani Boy; 05-08-2022 at 11:46 PM.
    Visibility good except in Hill Fog

Quote Originally Posted by Llani Boy View Post

Geraint Thomas seems to be suffering from the Mario Balotelli syndrome of "Why always me"!
    One might have thought by starting last he could have watched the runs of those with earlier start times with his DS on the TV, before he started his warm up, to see where those barriers were...
    Last edited by Graham Breeze; 06-08-2022 at 10:02 AM.
    "...as dry as the Atacama desert".

Well after the Rugby 7's last weekend, it seems Coventry City's game tomorrow may well be called off as the pitch is apparently in such a bad state.

I certainly don't blame it on the Commonwealth Games itself.... but as i mentioned to Llani on the day, there are a host of issues behind the ownership of the stadium (Wasps Rugby) and various financial issues.... clearly funding the maintenance of the pitch is not something they can stretch to.

For the first time I didn't watch much of the Games.
    Maybe it's me, but I found the timings and coverage a bit odd.
    I did catch a few of the track races. Ladies 5 & 10K were awesome races and impressed with the womens 4 x400m on the final day.
    Why no 4x400m Mens team though? Incredible we can't find 4 blokes to represent us in a home games.
    Richard Taylor
    "William Tell could take an apple off your head. Taylor could take out a processed pea."
    Sid Waddell

Quote Originally Posted by Witton Park View Post
    Why no 4x400m Mens team though? Incredible we can't find 4 blokes to represent us in a home games.
    According to Steve Cram and Paula Radcliffe, whilst commentating on the Marathon over a week ago, Team England did not fill their quota in many athletic events, for example, only 1 in the marathon.

The reason they gave was that English Athletics policy was only to enter athletes who had a good chance of getting a medal, even though there were numerous athletes available who had achieved the qualifying times/distances/heights.

If that is true it is scandalous and the suits who run English Athletics, no doubt on a very nice salary and perks, should be sacked and not be looking forward to a free holiday in Australia in 4 years time.
    Visibility good except in Hill Fog

I certainly don't want to pour scorn on the likes of UKA and EA, but from what i see, they seem solely concerned with trying to flog tickets for high-profile meetings and advertising their sponsors.

I very rarely get any emails off them which are of any interest or use... seems to be either promoting the elite, or trying to encourage mass participation.... as someone competing for club on track, XC, fell and even sometimes road, i see very little of interest.

Live in Brum, run in Worcestershire and Shropshire
    Sadly this is also true of British Cycling.
    Pete Shakespeare - U/A

Going downhill fast

Quote Originally Posted by Travs View Post
    I certainly don't want to pour scorn on the likes of UKA and EA, but from what i see, they seem solely concerned with trying to flog tickets for high-profile meetings and advertising their sponsors.

I very rarely get any emails off them which are of any interest or use... seems to be either promoting the elite, or trying to encourage mass participation.... as someone competing for club on track, XC, fell and even sometimes road, i see very little of interest.
    For 15+ years it's been the same.

The revenue from clubs has increased several fold, but as a revenue stream, it is still a small part of the overall pot that keeps these administrators in the lifestyle they've become accustomed to.

I put forward a proposal around 10-12 years ago, for the clubs to use the amateur structure to take control of the sport.
    That's club > county > area > CAU (Inter Counties) as the CAU has then a link right through to grass roots and all disciplines and areas of athletics and have links to the CAU.

I don't think that (or similar) is out of the question, as discontent is growing.
    Richard Taylor
    "William Tell could take an apple off your head. Taylor could take out a processed pea."
    Sid Waddell