Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: bought a new bicycle :-)

bought a new bicycle :-)

Cannondale Synapse Carbon Ultegra disc 2020, black

https://buycycle.com/de/bike/cannond...disc-ultegra-2

Last minute decision I didn't buy a new Synapse but a used one, ca 2600eur instead of 3000eur (catalogue price is 3600). Synapse Ultegra a safe bet, have had my current one since 2007 (or was it 2006?) and always loved it. Just I wanted to move to disc brakes since I'm the worstest descender ever, I tried disc brakes and I do slightly better with them (maybe placebo, and I'm still the worstest...).

I should have it in about a week.
    So excited.

Live in Brum, run in Worcestershire and Shropshire
    Looks lovely. Very jealous but I'm saving my pennies for a Specialized Roubaix. Hopefully something a couple of years old in a 54 will turn up soon..
    Pete Shakespeare - U/A

Going downhill fast

I just bit the bullet too. I can no longer get on with drops and end up spending all my time on the hoods. This means poor braking leverage and this, allied to old school rim brakes was causing safety and control issues to build up. I decided to go for a flat bar road bike with discs and good performance gearing....converting my Scott racer was a non starter really. I tried a Merida Speeder 400 and it was horrible. Harsh, jarring ride. So steel frame seems better suited for the cart tracks that pass as roads in these parts.
    I am really fortunate in that Monmouth has one of just 25 UK stockists of Light Blue cycles and a Robinson V2 R7000 seemed to fit the bill. https://www.thelightblue.co.uk/Sport...n-V2-105-R7000.

So I have argued with myself that ordering this supports a UK company and a local business who have set up in the pandemic https://www.honeysucklewood.co.uk/. I'll find out tomorrow what the sting will be but this is a bike that should last at least another 10 years if not more. Spend once, spend wisely!
    Simon Blease
    Monmouth

Quote Originally Posted by Wheeze View Post
    I just bit the bullet too. I can no longer get on with drops and end up spending all my time on the hoods. This means poor braking leverage and this, allied to old school rim brakes was causing safety and control issues to build up. I decided to go for a flat bar road bike with discs and good performance gearing....converting my Scott racer was a non starter really. I tried a Merida Speeder 400 and it was horrible. Harsh, jarring ride. So steel frame seems better suited for the cart tracks that pass as roads in these parts.
    I am really fortunate in that Monmouth has one of just 25 UK stockists of Light Blue cycles and a Robinson V2 R7000 seemed to fit the bill. https://www.thelightblue.co.uk/Sport...n-V2-105-R7000.

So I have argued with myself that ordering this supports a UK company and a local business who have set up in the pandemic https://www.honeysucklewood.co.uk/. I'll find out tomorrow what the sting will be but this is a bike that should last at least another 10 years if not more. Spend once, spend wisely!
    Lovely.

Don't forget to ask them to throw in some pedals!
    Visibility good except in Hill Fog

a bike that should last at least another 10 years if not more.
    I saw this 10yr thing before but I see no rationale for it.
    My current Carbon Synapse was bought in 2006. If it wasn't because I want to switch to disc brakes, it will last many many year more, possibly forever.
    Same for my Trek MTB, the one I use for everyday commute.

Of course they get surface scratches, and components must be replaced as they age and wear out, but the bicycles are still as functional as day 1.

I know the bicycle insurance industry calculates a 10% drop in value, since purchase, still see no logic behind this arbitrary 10yr.

I am not the most knowledgeable, but I think steel frame has NO advantage over decent carbon (other that steel is less expensive). Carbon are made for rough roads, even rough trails.

This bicycle is a bit heavy, at 9.9Kg. Probably because of steel instead of carbon. Most carbon bikes are 8.5Kg. On the other hand, manufacturer are notoriously dishonest when they claim weight. Plus, if you look at total weight, bike + rider combo, difference between heavy and light bike is very minor...

The gear ratio seem very good for climbing . I have 34 (front) and 32 (back) and it took me to the steepest alpine passes, this one has 34 (front) and 34 (rear), so should even be better suited to steep gradient.

I know it's counterintuitive and polarizing, but buying from UK supplier/maker is NOT really beneficial to the UK economy. But maybe this should be on a different thread...

Have fun!

One more thought:

for a given budget, I'd rather buy used, which is indeed what I just did.
    Of course there is some risk, but all in all still MUCH better value for money. Same as with cars. Pay less but have scratches? Yep.
    Just my preference (my trusted bike mechanic disagrees, so...).

Have fun cycling.
    Last edited by Gambatte; 25-07-2022 at 09:28 AM.

The 10 year thing is not about the bike...more about me! The weight issue is no concern to me. I ain't racing and see riding as a workout to replace running. But I need a comfortable compliant ride. And, yes, a 1 to 1 gear ratio was on my must have list for the big climbs around here!
    Simon Blease
    Monmouth

Live in Brum, run in Worcestershire and Shropshire
    In my not very scientific (I have 1 steel and 1 carbon frame bike) opinion, the steel frame does seem more comfortable and compliant over rougher terrain than the carbon. Of course this could just be geometry and I could be talking rubbish but that's my take on it. The steel is 2kg heavier which of course is a factor. My previous road bike was alloy and that was just horrible to ride at times and the carbon was a notable improvement especially in power transfer and handling.
    Pete Shakespeare - U/A

Going downhill fast

Interesting.
    I have only tried a gran total of 3 road bicycles in the last 30yr: my first cheap steel (or is it Alu?), 1996-2006, and 2 carbon, 2006-now, and another resold this year after only 6weeks of use. Beyond the geometry, I find even a low-cost carbon MUCH better than Alu/steel at canceling the roughness of the terrain.

The only reason I see for NOT chosing carbon is the cost.
    Mind you, I bought this year a very decent 1yr-old carbon Ultegra/105 for 1200eur, so not true that good carbon is very expensive.