Page 3 of 17 FirstFirst 1234513 ... LastLast

Thread: Championship Races 2023

ba-ba (or anyone else): do you have any idea when the relays are pencilled in to be?

I need to set a date for Castle Carr for next year and I need to avoid the relays.
    Based on previous years I would expect the relays to be the weekend of 15th Oct, and I put Castle Carr on the 22nd. But I heard a rumour that the relays are pencilled in for the weekend of the 22nd next year.
    I have to avoid the OMM on the 28th too (mainly because I'm usually there!) so that would mean the 15th for Castle Carr.

I know the date for the relays won't be set in stone yet, but any info you have would be great thanks!
    "And the winds blow and the sky looks cool / So I make my home in the clouds"

the date I have is 21st October, but worth double checking with Keswick!
    Nic Barber. Downhill Dandy

Long Mynd Valleys, first race... Friday 10am entry open for FRA members.

4 weeks out from the first race.

Hope everybody's preparation is going well.

Taking a look down the start list, which is absolutely stacked, i feel i'm in the same position as last year... if i run well then some v40 points are potentially up for grabs. But there are a lot of v40 runners of similar ability to me and i'll probably need a pb to score points. And of course a number of veteran runners that i've got no knowledge of.

Although it doesn't get any easier... when you look through the line-up and the likes of Carl Bell, Steve Hebblethwaite etc moving up to veteran category!
    Last edited by Travs; 15-01-2023 at 07:49 PM.

Master
    Within sight of Leicestershire's Beacon Hill
    Quote Originally Posted by Travs View Post
    4 weeks out from the first race.

Hope everybody's preparation is going well.

Taking a look down the start list, which is absolutely stacked, i feel i'm in the same position as last year... if i run well then some v40 points are potentially up for grabs. But there are a lot of v40 runners of similar ability to me and i'll probably need a pb to score points. And of course a number of veteran runners that i've got no knowledge of.

Although it doesn't get any easier... when you look through the line-up and the likes of Carl Bell, Steve Hebblethwaite etc moving up to veteran category!
    You do have the advantage that you are rather familiar with the Long Mynd (and its dreaded valleys), which won't be the case for many of the runners from Cumbria, Yorkshire, etc.
    In his lifetime he suffered from unreality, as do so many Englishmen.
    Jorge Luis Borges

Enjoyed the Charlie Baker podcast, featuring Ba-ba, previewing both the upcoming championships as a whole, and in particular this weekend's opening race.

It is a fascinating lineup of runners, both male and female, with some names throwing their hat in the ring after very strong XC seasons.

Looking forward to watching the race unfold. Need to study the map but I think I'll head up to Pole Bank to watch a good chunk, then over to Yearlet to see spirits breaking on the last climb!
    Nic Barber. Downhill Dandy

Its not a date in my diary, but i wish you all the best travs.

Cracking race today. Conditions pretty much ideal.... Didn't notice any strong wind, and definitely none of the rain/hail storms that accompanied the latter part of last year's race.

Ran a big pb by 6 minutes, but wasn't even close to the v40 points.... Came over the line a shade under 2:05 but would have needed around 1:58 to make the points.

PB aside, i suffered in the second half today, in particular the final climb, where i was two minutes slower than last year.

Clearly my focus on flat running training is overall having a beneficial effect, judging by the result.... but i don't think i'm quite as strong on the uphills as i've been in past years (which is hardly a surprise)

Hello to Llani Boy, and also Ba-ba at the final checkpoint.
    Last edited by Travs; 11-02-2023 at 08:39 PM.

Master
    Well run Travs - I see 6 men and 1 woman broke the old records. Conditions must have been pretty good.