Page 5 of 7 FirstFirst ... 34567 LastLast

Thread: Covid Autumn Booster?

Live in Brum, run in Worcestershire and Shropshire
    Yes but I'm not taking the bait..
    Pete Shakespeare - U/A

Going downhill fast

Quote Originally Posted by Graham Breeze View Post
    Indeed.

Meanwhile I am watching Pulp Fiction again.

Is Tarantino the most exhilarating, astonishing film director, with a genius for writing comic dialogue, to emerge from Hollywood in the last fifty years?

Unquestionably.
    Possibly, but I hated Reservoir Dogs so haven't watched his later films.

I think it would be interesting to hear a female opinion, however, as I think they may not agree with your view Graham

Quote Originally Posted by Marco View Post

I think it would be interesting to hear a female opinion, however, as I think they may not agree with your view Graham
    Oh Millipede (Emily) has excellent cinematic taste - although I'm less sure about all those TV box sets.
    "...as dry as the Atacama desert".

Never been a fan of Tarantino films.
    Richard Taylor
    "William Tell could take an apple off your head. Taylor could take out a processed pea."
    Sid Waddell

Well Mrs S's opinion is that he is one of the all time greats although our favourite films do vary. We both rate pulp fiction and once upon a time in Hollywood as his best but then she loves Deathproof and Jackie Brown whereas I'd probably plump for Inglourious Basterds or kill Bill.
    I think reservoir dogs was very much of its time and hasn't aged well. Pulp fiction however remains as compulsive viewing as ever and quotes still crop up regularly in our family. Indeed it wasn't until our girls came of age and watched the film that they realised the true meaning of a lot of mom and dad's conversation.
    "That is a tasty burger"
    Last edited by PeteS; 10-01-2023 at 11:15 PM.
    Pete Shakespeare - U/A

Going downhill fast

Quote Originally Posted by PeteS View Post
    whereas I'd probably plump for inglorious bastards.
    it's only a couple of letters, but that could be crucial to the writing of comic dialogue and Graham might be on your case.
    Richard Taylor
    "William Tell could take an apple off your head. Taylor could take out a processed pea."
    Sid Waddell

Quote Originally Posted by Witton Park View Post
    it's only a couple of letters, but that could be crucial to the writing of comic dialogue and Graham might be on your case.
    Well I did write Inglourious Basterds but my phone chose to correct it. Don't you love modern technology!? I'm sure Graham will enjoy the chance to make fun later...
    Pete Shakespeare - U/A

Going downhill fast

Quote Originally Posted by PeteS View Post
    Well Mrs S's opinion is that he is one of the all time greats although our favourite films do vary. We both rate pulp fiction and once upon a time in Hollywood as his best but then she loves Deathproof and Jackie Brown whereas I'd probably plump for Inglourious Basterds or kill Bill.
    I think reservoir dogs was very much of its time and hasn't aged well. Pulp fiction however remains as compulsive viewing as ever and quotes still crop up regularly in our family. Indeed it wasn't until our girls came of age and watched the film that they realised the true meaning of a lot of mom and dad's conversation.
    "That is a tasty burger"
    Pulp Fiction is pure movie and a work of natural genius.

It was made 30 years ago and is still a stunning piece. Reservoir Dogs was the (say) first film he directed and a startling debut but he has now directed (say) ten movies, written more and produced even more. Once Upon A Time is very good and very clever (the novelisation less so) and maybe too clever with its cinematic "in-jokes" but it isn't the tour-de-force of Pulp Fiction.

Pulp Fiction is 154 minutes and you cannot take your eyes off the screen. Compare that with, say, the tedious, never-ending "James Bond" films and you can compare an inspired natural film maker and a bunch of tradesmen working for payday.

Tarantino will never do anything better - but neither will anyone else.
    Last edited by Graham Breeze; 11-01-2023 at 01:01 AM.
    "...as dry as the Atacama desert".

Quote Originally Posted by Graham Breeze View Post
    Tarantino will never do anything better - but neither will anyone else.
    That's some statement Graham ..

I did start watching Pulp Fiction when it was on TV many, many years ago, but I gave up after about half an hour as it seemed too dark, violent and silly. I had previously endured Reservoir Dogs, so I didn't think it would get any better and chose to cut my losses.

I think you're a bit taller than me, so that probably explains why 'a work of natural genius' goes over my head

That's some statement Graham ..

I did start watching Pulp Fiction when it was on TV many, many years ago, but I gave up after about half an hour as it seemed too dark, violent and silly. I had previously endured Reservoir Dogs, so I didn't think it would get any better and chose to cut my losses.

I think you're a bit taller than me, so that probably explains why 'a work of natural genius' goes over my head
    That was my experience with Pulp Fiction - tried - switched off - never tried again.

Butch Cassidy and the Sundance Kid is my regular repeat film.
    Richard Taylor
    Sid Waddell