Thread: Was I an evil landlord?

Threaded View

Previous Post Previous Post   Next Post Next Post

Was I an evil landlord?

"Accidental" landlord here. Bought a house intending to live there forever with family until life came in the way and we moved (abroad). We thought it was better to let it rather than selling it. So I've been a landlord for few years now.

Last tenants moved out. All good.

New applicants turned up, a couple and her sister. I got a report from the agent: two red flags: 1) their previous landlord would NOT relet to them, and 2) their previous agent says they left the place messy.
    So I had to decide whether to let our property to them or not. Two ways of looking at it.

A)It could well be that the previous landlord was unreasonable. I know this sometimes happens, I went through an unreasonable landlord myself. Decent people should not be penalized because someone else is evil.

B)I must decide based on the information I have. Although this information is incomplete, and possibly not fully correct, this is ALL I have. If I ignore it, I should not have looked at it.

Ultimately point B carried more weight for me, so I answered "sorry, no". But I feel a little bad about it.

Maybe they are great folks and I put them in difficulty?
    Was I naughty?
    Last edited by Gambatte; 02-12-2022 at 02:56 PM.