Page 3 of 33 FirstFirst 1234513 ... LastLast

Thread: Bike Racing

Quote Originally Posted by MattPo View Post
    Yorkshire lad done very good in Italy!
    Yes, a very good win. And for those who haven't seen it, here are the highlights

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=35kVjLIQtrE

Quote Originally Posted by Marco View Post
    Yes, a very good win. And for those who haven't seen it, here are the highlights

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=35kVjLIQtrE
    He has put his name to a sportive from Ilkley. If you pay enough you can meet and ride with the great man - if you can keep up of course!
    "...as dry as the Atacama desert".

Quote Originally Posted by Graham Breeze View Post
    He has put his name to a sportive from Ilkley. If you pay enough you can meet and ride with the great man - if you can keep up of course!
    He has put his name to or has he sold his name to a sportive from Ilkley?

Very impressive ride indeed but I noticed that in his post race interview he seemed to to be speaking English as if it is his second language and with a Dutch accent
    Visibility good except in Hill Fog

Quote Originally Posted by Llani Boy View Post
    He has put his name to or has he sold his name to a sportive from Ilkley?

Very impressive ride indeed but I noticed that in his post race interview he seemed to to be speaking English as if it is his second language and with a Dutch accent
    Most cyclists are so inarticulate I always assume they are speaking in their second language.
    As to your question: it would have cost £162 for me to have asked him directly what his pay off was so I went for a ride on my own.

It was good to see him win in the manner he did. Really bold on the terrain and bearing in mind some of those behind him.
    Richard Taylor
    "William Tell could take an apple off your head. Taylor could take out a processed pea."
    Sid Waddell

Quote Originally Posted by Witton Park View Post
    It was good to see him win in the manner he did. Really bold on the terrain and bearing in mind some of those behind him.
    Good win that it was, it was an almighty screw-up by the two Jumbo Visma riders in the group behind that let him stay away for the win.

For those not familiar with cycle racing, two riders working together in a concerted manner should always be able to catch a lone rider 20 seconds up the road on non-mountainous terrain. Jumbo Visma had two riders in the next group, and should have used them to close him down.

Good win that it was, it was an almighty screw-up by the two Jumbo Visma riders in the group behind that let him stay away for the win.

For those not familiar with cycle racing, two riders working together in a concerted manner should always be able to catch a lone rider 20 seconds up the road on non-mountainous terrain. Jumbo Visma had two riders in the next group, and should have used them to close him down.
    Yep. That's the theory. The hard part is getting two egos to decide which is going to end up winner and which is going to end up nowhere. And the interesting part is what the team manager was saying to the two riders on the earpieces.

Quote Originally Posted by Graham Breeze View Post
    Yep. That's the theory. The hard part is getting two egos to decide which is going to end up winner and which is going to end up nowhere. And the interesting part is what the team manager was saying to the two riders on the earpieces.
    Graham, this is professional racing at the top level. Or at least it's supposed to be. These riders are highly paid by their teams, and it was a disgrace, (although very good from a nationalistic, Yorkshire-is-the-promised-land kind of prospective), as far as the Jumbo Visma team is concerned.

Decades ago, when I was racing at a very modest level against riders of similar ability, we never let anyone hang off the front by 7-20 seconds and win; we were pretty poor, but we knew how to race

As good as Pidcock is, against a group of 5 top professionals he could, and should, have been caught before the line.

Graham, this is professional racing at the top level. Or at least it's supposed to be. These riders are highly paid by their teams, and it was a disgrace, (although very good from a nationalistic, Yorkshire-is-the-promised-land kind of prospective), as far as the Jumbo Visma team is concerned.

Decades ago, when I was racing at a very modest level against riders of similar ability, we never let anyone hang off the front by 7-20 seconds and win; we were pretty poor, but we knew how to race

As good as Pidcock is, against a group of 5 top professionals he could, and should, have been caught before the line.
    I agree.

But then I don't think Man. United's highly paid professionals should have let 7 goals in either.

Live in Brum, run in Worcestershire and Shropshire
    I agree Pidcock should have been caught (and would have later in the season), but given his superlative bike handling skills, which would have paid dividends on the last gravel sectors, coupled with that final climb, I don't think we can say he wasn't a worthy winner.

Anyway, today's racing was intriguing. TA saw a massive 28 second lead for Filippo Ganna which will surely see him in the leaders jersey for a good few days yet. Indeed, if he shows the climbing ability of last year, he may yet win the race.
    Pog seems to be toying with the peleton in Paris Nice, although the change to the timings on tomorrow's TTT may prove interesting. For those not in the know, times are usually taken on the fourth over the line ensuring that it is a team finish and indicative of the team's performance as a whole. However, tomorrow's time is taken on the first over the line so surely a chance to blow the team out the back door and go all in on your leader??
    Pete Shakespeare - U/A

Going downhill fast