Page 2 of 8 FirstFirst 1234 ... LastLast

Thread: Montane Spine 2023

I did comment elsewhere on here that he built a platform to speak out by running in multi-day ultras and foreign races.

To then use that platform to suggest others limit doing exactly what he's done... is just (in my view) hypocritical.

Anyway, back to the Spine, and as said, it is a real shame that Kim Collinson has dropped, as its now looking like a bit of a one-horse-race (although clearly anything could happen right up to the final day.

Also noticed that Eoin Keith is still going, but seems to be taking it very slowly this year (by his usual standards).... i wonder if he's using it as a build up to something else.

Master
    Within sight of Leicestershire's Beacon Hill
    Quote Originally Posted by Mossdog View Post
    I've not read his book Mike so I can't comment on how he's trying to influence things which he claims are important to him in his life. I certainly don't begrudge him having a view on a whole range of issues, even if they might not match my own or other peoples.

But, if he advocates for a position, and particularly one that is quite controversial and effects the lives of billions of people on the planet(as oil does), I think it's incumbent on him to have the courage to live his life in line with his espoused convictions, or otherwise (putting this politely) be quiet. "Just Stop Oil' is pretty clear. It's not 'Just Stop Oil A Little That Allows Me Enough To Enjoy The Comforts Of Modern Life To The Level I Prefer'.
    Maybe he should have ghost-written the book, with my name as author. Blurb: "Anthony Kay is a fell runner who travels to all his races by train and/or bicycle . . .". But then someone would have spotted me wearing a Helly Hansen base layer (made of polypropylene, with oil as its feedstock).

Actually, for some time I have felt that a really good reason to stop burning oil is that it is too valuable, as a feedstock for all sorts of useful products.
    Last edited by anthonykay; 16-01-2023 at 09:03 PM.
    In his lifetime he suffered from unreality, as do so many Englishmen.
    Jorge Luis Borges

Master
    The largest contribution to the CO2 footprint of races - by far - is the travel involved in getting to/from the start/finish. The kit worn only makes a small contribution, though almost all of it will end up in landfill, particularly shoes, which are very difficult to recycle.

Damian contributes to doing his bit by flying less, travelling by train/bus/shared car where possible, and wearing kit for longer, repairing it, and owning less. He is of course given kit to try for free - at one stage he had 25 pairs of shoes on the go.

The best bit of kit for the planet is the bit we don't buy.

I enquired about repairing the zip on a much loved lightweight Haglofs top recently - £50! Such repairs should be subsidised by the manufactures. With due respect to Haglofs they had sent me a zip slider free of charge, but unfortunately that did not solve the problem.

Master
    Jack Scott is ahead on the ground but has a time penalty. Interesting.

Local Veteran John Knapp is up to 20th - he is a tough lad.

Unless there's a list of rules only available to entrants the only reference I've found to a time penalty is in the FAQ:

We accept that the combination of sleep deprivation and night-time navigation are likely to lead to some moments of topographical embarrassment. Our rule is that once you realise you’re off course, get back on it taking the quickest route. However, whether it’s accidental or intentional, if we judge that a significant competitive advantage has been gained, we reserve the right to issue a time penalty. You will be issued this in person at a check point. It will be a stop and start penalty, during which you are not able to use check point facilities, though you can chose when and where you serve it.
    Looks to have been a three or four hour time penalty.

Mountain bike ITTs (essentially the same as this race but without manned checkpoints) have a rule that if you leave the prescribed route you must rejoin it at the same point. So you can head off route to get supplies or have your bike fixed but you rejoin at the same point and the clock keeps running.
    Bob

http://bobwightman.co.uk/run/bob_graham.php

Without me you'd be one place nearer the back

Appears to be a 48min time-penalty, but a 7min time credit for stopping to help another competitor.
    Do we know if he's taken that at Bellingham, or if he's saving it for later?
    Nic Barber. Downhill Dandy

Master
    From their FB page:

An official note from Race HQ: Jack has received a 48-minute time penalty due to a navigational error overnight. However, he has also been awarded a 7-minute time credit for stopping to assist another runner in need, making for an addition of 41 minutes to his finishing time.

Master
    Within sight of Leicestershire's Beacon Hill
    So when did Jack get ahead of Damian? And am I right in thinking that Jasmin's course record is likely to be broken?
    In his lifetime he suffered from unreality, as do so many Englishmen.
    Jorge Luis Borges

With only about 5km between them, and the 41 minute penalty, i'd say that puts them just about neck-and-neck going on to the Cheviots.

Quote Originally Posted by anthonykay View Post
    So when did Jack get ahead of Damian? And am I right in thinking that Jasmin's course record is likely to be broken?
    Looks like Jack took a much shorter rest at Bellingham - arrived after Damian and left before him. He might have been motivated to get a move on when he was told he had a 48 minute penalty.

Looking where he went, he saved himself about a mile of forest road, so 20 minutes maybe. The penalty is far more than what he saved which I guess it should be to discourage deliberate short cuts, but it would be harsh if the result is decided by the 28 minute additional penalty.

From the tracking Jack is a couple of kilometres behind Jasmin's record run, but way ahead of the male record. I've no idea how that works out given Jack's penalty, and that his short cut still left him with a longer course than when the records were set.