Page 3 of 8 FirstFirst 12345 ... LastLast

Thread: Montane Spine 2023

Has been confirmed hat they estimate the time gained and then double it to discourage. It's also not just a time saving, but an energy saving (albeit small in percentage times over a 268-mile course), which the doubling will factor in.
    So currently on the ground, Jack is ahead, and if clear Damaian should be able to see him! But on time Damian is probably ahead, as the gap is now less than a km.
    Nic Barber. Downhill Dandy

Quote Originally Posted by Mossdog View Post
    I've not read his book Mike so I can't comment on how he's trying to influence things which he claims are important to him in his life. I certainly don't begrudge him having a view on a whole range of issues, even if they might not match my own or other peoples.

But, if he advocates for a position, and particularly one that is quite controversial and effects the lives of billions of people on the planet(as oil does), I think it's incumbent on him to have the courage to live his life in line with his espoused convictions, or otherwise (putting this politely) be quiet. "Just Stop Oil' is pretty clear. It's not 'Just Stop Oil A Little That Allows Me Enough To Enjoy The Comforts Of Modern Life To The Level I Prefer'.

Mixing politics with sport is fraught with complicated issues. I just wish he'd kept it out of the Spine. Interestingly, and maybe nothing to do with my email to Montane, his photo has been changed and shows him running, without any slogan. Perhaps they have rotating images, or maybe Montane have made a decision to just make the story about a brilliant and entertaining challenge - hope so, and I look forward to continue to follow the event. Whatever, he's an amazing athlete and I hope he does well and keeps safe.
    Damian Hall has his photograph from the Spine Race in The Daily Telegraph today (page 8).

Headwear by INOV 8

Bodywarmer by INOV 8

Gloves by...well you get the picture.
    "...as dry as the Atacama desert".

Master
    He did unfurl his "just stop oil" banner after finishing but it got very little photo coverage from what I saw.

His book has certainly changed the way I think about my kit - I feel quite guilty about putting my old shoes in the bin before they have started to actually come apart, and I may take up Alpkit's £50 offer to replace a zip on my much loved Haglofs top.

One point he makes really caught my attention.

"Under our current social and economic systems it just isn't possible to not be a hypocrite..... the idea that we must be perfect before we act is one of the most pernicious traps of climate inaction. None of us is perfect and we all desperately need to do something"

Quote Originally Posted by Mike T View Post
    He did unfurl his "just stop oil" banner after finishing but it got very little photo coverage from what I saw.

His book has certainly changed the way I think about my kit - I feel quite guilty about putting my old shoes in the bin before they have started to actually come apart, and I may take up Alpkit's £50 offer to replace a zip on my much loved Haglofs top.
    If it helps you with Haglof...I think Timpson's took £36 from me to replace the zip in my cycling top, I delivered and collected it from a local branch so there was no added postage and all I get on the ring pull is YKK.

His book has certainly changed the way I think about my kit - I feel quite guilty about putting my old shoes in the bin before they have started to actually come apart...
    Never before has been a tight Yorkshireman been so on trend.

Quote Originally Posted by noel View Post
    Never before has been a tight Yorkshireman been so on trend.
    Damian...is of course given kit to try for free - at one stage he had 25 pairs of shoes on the go.

Ah well...everything is relative.

One point he makes really caught my attention.

"Under our current social and economic systems it just isn't possible to not be a hypocrite..... the idea that we must be perfect before we act is one of the most pernicious traps of climate inaction. None of us is perfect and we all desperately need to do something"
    Sorry, but Hall is spouting self-serving BS, risible but also wholly (should I write Holy ?) inline with those who enjoy moral grandstanding over the rest of their audience they're trying to impress (or is that hoodwink).

Erm... "Under our current social and economic systems it just isn't possible to not be a hypocrite....." Right, so that would be the social and economic systems he himself is perpetuating then. Indeed, his quote should read, "in the real world I enjoy the money, prestige and comforts I get from my oil dependent and enriched life-style but maybe, when that's no longer expedient for me, I'll start living in accord with my grandiose pronouncements and accompanying denouements of others".

It’s so easy to make the right noises online or in person (to gain the adulation and attention you seek), without actually contributing, materially, to the cause you claim to support or the behaviour/conditions you're trying to impose on others (billions of people on the rest of the planet) with minimum cost to yourself.

There was a time in the distant past when people thought you could only be virtuous by doing things. These things involved a lot of effort and significant self-sacrifice.

But taking him at his word, regarding achieving the dizzy heights of striving for perfection, why not make a less impressive but eminently practical and achievable statements such as "Let's Just Start to Reduce Oil When We Have Some Viable Alternatives That Allows The Billions Currently Living In Poverty To Raise Out Of Their Present Squalor". Not very catchy I admit, but a genuine possibility.

Probably one of the most articulate arguments against 'Just Stop Oil" and its idiocy, was made last week at the Oxford Union debate by Konstantin Kisin https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=JKIOSnKX96E I'm pleased to hear that the clip has, as they say, gone viral. Triggernometry podcast.
    Am Yisrael Chai

Master
    Are all those who work for or with Inov8 bad people, or only those who at the same time "go on and on" about climate change and recycling?

Damian seems to be doing what he can. With regard to the kit he is given, he repairs, recycles where possible, and gives stuff to others. I doubt he will have more kids. He is vegan. He does his best to care share, and has dramatically reduced flying. He has of course written his book, and is hoping it will influence others.

One concept in his book is Carbon shadow vs carbon footprint. We all know what a Carbon footprint is. Carbon shadow is where we influence a considerable number of other people to reduce their carbon footprint, which can have a huge effect compared to a personal carbon footprint. Despite travelling all the way (by train) to Davos, Greta will almost certainly have persuaded a lot of youngsters to reduce their Carbon footprints, so her carbon shadow will be large. I hope Damain's efforts will have an effect in the same direction, if not of the same size.

At least he has got us thinking and talking about it!

Sorry, but Hall is spouting self-serving BS, risible but also wholly (should I write Holy ?) inline with those who enjoy moral grandstanding over the rest of their audience they're trying to impress (or is that hoodwink).

Erm... "Under our current social and economic systems it just isn't possible to not be a hypocrite....." Right, so that would be the social and economic systems he himself is perpetuating then. Indeed, his quote should read, "in the real world I enjoy the money, prestige and comforts I get from my oil dependent and enriched life-style but maybe, when that's no longer expedient for me, I'll start living in accord with my grandiose pronouncements and accompanying denouements of others".

It’s so easy to make the right noises online or in person (to gain the adulation and attention you seek), without actually contributing, materially, to the cause you claim to support or the behaviour/conditions you're trying to impose on others (billions of people on the rest of the planet) with minimum cost to yourself.

There was a time in the distant past when people thought you could only be virtuous by doing things. These things involved a lot of effort and significant self-sacrifice.

But taking him at his word, regarding achieving the dizzy heights of striving for perfection, why not make a less impressive but eminently practical and achievable statements such as "Let's Just Start to Reduce Oil When We Have Some Viable Alternatives That Allows The Billions Currently Living In Poverty To Raise Out Of Their Present Squalor". Not very catchy I admit, but a genuine possibility.

Probably one of the most articulate arguments against 'Just Stop Oil" and its idiocy, was made last week at the Oxford Union debate by Konstantin Kisin https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=JKIOSnKX96E I'm pleased to hear that the clip has, as they say, gone viral. Triggernometry podcast.
    "I'm doubtless a massive hypocrite to some"

Damon Hall's website. (It's after about 100,000 words on having his cake and eating it.)

I'm with Konstantin; what right have those in the developed world, who have attained a high standard of living through burning cheap fossil fuels, to say to the developing world that they can't have it too.