Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: fellrunning dreams/nightmares

Ye gods, where do i begin? Living with a rat problem for 11yrs stressed me to the point of writing a suicide note; with all the chatter these days about mental health i can solidly say you haven't been depressed until you've written a suicide note. As for my job, which is a dead end, i try to focus on all the stuff i can get for free, such as firewood, the use of machinery, and virtually unlimited stainless steel. If i focused on the bad side i'd go mad quite fast. I found that taking Ashwagandha improved my back, which was hell at one stage, and i take St John's Wort to keep me from getting down.

I still maintain i need a good woman in my life, but they aren't interested in me by and large.
    Luke Appleyard (Wharfedale)- quick on the dissent

Its a freezing midwinter race, the clag is down, the ground sucks at your feet and the air cold-scorches your burning lungs. But never mind, this is a hill you know well and you can steal a march on your fellow suffering competitors who are tentatively trying to find the right way down a steep and evilly slippery descent in zero visibility. You zoom off, supremely confident you have smashed it. You emerge from the clag to totally unfamiliar surroundings. Minutes are lost floundering around until you realise you have descended in completely the wrong direction. Even worse you have dragged along some racing buddies who are know roundly cursing your incompetence....oh the shame. But I never woke up from this nightmare. It was real and has haunted me ever since!
    Simon Blease
    Monmouth

Master
    Within sight of Leicestershire's Beacon Hill
    In last night's dream I was supposedly running the Arenig Fawr race, although when I woke up I realised that the course in my dream didn't bear the slightest resemblance to that race route.

Anyway, having arrived late, I started more than 15 minutes after the rest of the field. I set off at a good pace, and after the first mile or so through the town ["not the slightest resemblance to that race route . . ."] I started catching the back-markers. Going through the park which led to the open fell, it dawned on me that I wasn't carrying a single item of FRA required kit. But no worries, I knew the route well, and the weather looked quite benign.

Then I woke up. So I will never know if I survived the race.
    In his lifetime he suffered from unreality, as do so many Englishmen.
    Jorge Luis Borges

Arenig Fawr having one of the remotest start points in a fell race, not too much town running in that one

Master
    Within sight of Leicestershire's Beacon Hill
    More geographical nonsense in my dream world. Last night I was in the mountains on the Russia/Pakistan border, but fortunately the lions and wolves didn't seem interested in eating me (I wasn't supposed to be there anyway, the area was out of bounds to visitors due to political sensitivities, and had become an informal nature reserve).
    In his lifetime he suffered from unreality, as do so many Englishmen.
    Jorge Luis Borges

Whenever i dream about fellracing (and its never just running, only racing), i always seem to be able to run a lot better than in real life.... ie winning races etc.

Last night i was just about to start the tricky traverse around the southern flanks of Hindscarth/Robinson on the Buttermere Horseshoe, on the way from Newlands Hause up to Dale Head, and i put on some completely unrealistic spurt to lose the people who were following me.

That's basically the key variable, is your dream self a better or worse runner than you, does your dream self have your back. The answer to that i think shines a very bright light on your psyche.
    Luke Appleyard (Wharfedale)- quick on the dissent

Quote Originally Posted by mr brightside View Post
    That's basically the key variable, is your dream self a better or worse runner than you, does your dream self have your back. The answer to that i think shines a very bright light on your psyche.
    I can run quickly in dreams until I start to think about it, then I struggle to move at all.