Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: The Fell Racing Ethic

Post The Fell Racing Ethic

Hi folks!

Long time fell runner, new forum member here, hoping to contribute to the discussion.

I wrote an article called 'The Fell Racing Ethic' for The Fellrunner, in which I explore what it is that gives fell racing its unique character; why that character is worth preserving; and what changes might threaten to undermine it. The article ended up being much too long to print, but Tory generously agreed to publish a series of excerpts from it in the Spring edition (135). I thought I would share the link to the full version on here, incase there is anyone who might be interested but who doesn't read 'The Fellrunner' cover to cover. This is also an audio version on the website for those who prefer listening to reading. I would be interested to see what discussion - if any - it might generate, but if you have critiques then kindly try and find time to read the full (online) version before making your case, as there may be things which spring to mind when reading the magazine version that I have addressed in depth in the full version.

www.spidershankes.com

Ta!

Bobby

It was generally a good article....

Although i thought it lent too heavily (for my liking) on the opinion that fellracers are a different breed of runner to all other runners... that we are just happy to be there enjoying the scenery, and other "types" of runner are callous individuals who would knock down their own grandmothers for half a second off their pb.

I find that general attitude in fellrunning a little bit insulting to runners from all disciplines.... for a start a lot of fellrunners race on the road/cross-country and vice vera.... and the front that a lot of people like to put on about fellrunning, that its "all about the cake", is laughable, it has some of the most competitive athletes around.

I know there's an effort to move away from the impression that all fellrunners are masochistic hardmen who live on stream-water and hay.... but in my opinion people are trying to push too far in the other direction.

There's a big initiative in Shropshire to attract new runners to the fell scene.... there was a "novices only" race a few weeks back.... and a big drive to attract runners to the summer weeknight race series.... and should be applauded.... but lets not forget we're here to race.
    Last edited by Travs; 28-05-2023 at 04:17 PM.

I have read the full, on-line, version and my first observation is that it is too long as it took me over twenty minutes to read it. I have a somewhat persistent character, and I really struggled to read it all the way through - I very much doubt that most people will read it all in its current form.

I also disliked this line:

Personally, I would always rather see a participant from the village racing in a t-shirt and walking boots – having a go and having a laugh – than a serious competitor who drove five hours to get there ...

I live in SE Staffordshire, in the flatlands - not far from two other forum regulars. I dislike the line because it implies that because I live a long way from the fells I should be excluded from the sport. If I was a top fell racer then to my mind it would be only reasonable for me to want to test myself against the best in races in the Lake District - a three hour drive away. (Over four hours today, as I've just done it.) Furthermore, if I lived in the London area, like around ten percent of the UK population, I would be five hours drive away from Lake District races.

I am not sure what this chart, from about two-thirds of the way through the article, is meant to illustrate, as it's not titled or explained.

And then there is the issue of who this article is pitched to. Of the regular contributors on this forum I am probably the least experienced, both in fell running and fell racing. Despite this, there was nothing in the article that I didn't know, yet some of the terms would go over the heads of beginners.

I frequently get asked what fell racing is, and how it differs from other off-road running competitions, by people with little or no knowledge of the sport. It would be really beneficial if there was an article that explained this clearly and succinctly; sadly, this is not the article.

Quote Originally Posted by Marco View Post

I also disliked this line:

Personally, I would always rather see a participant from the village racing in a t-shirt and walking boots – having a go and having a laugh – than a serious competitor who drove five hours to get there ...

I couldn't agree more Marco.

Whilst i don't agree, i can sort of understand the reasoning behind wanting local runners.

But the sentiment that someone turning up to a race "for a laugh" is preferable to "a serious competitor" is at best cobblers, and at worst, insulting to a great number of runners. Everyone has their reasons for racing, and they don't have to be serious competitors, but if you start going down the road of not wanting people to turn up and race hard, then that is something i wouldn't want to be part of.

Especially considering a great number of Race Organisers, including many that i see taking up RO duties for struggling races, are often pretty handy competitors themselves.

I really don't want to knock the thread starter, its good to have discussion, and especially to have a new poster on the forum... but i must admit certain parts of this article rankled me a bit when i read it in the Fellrunner, but i thought better of moaning about it on that particular thread.
    Last edited by Travs; 29-05-2023 at 08:09 PM.

Hi Travs and Marco,

Thanks for taking the time to have a read! I appreciate the interest. I'll try to address what I understand to be your main points of contention:

> 'Fell runners are [not] a different breed' / 'a lot of fellrunners race on the road/ cross country')

On this point, I don't think we have a major disagreement. Based on my experience of road races, trail races, and fell races, I do feel that the fell races have a different feel to other events, which is what inspired the article. But of course, this doesn't mean that the people who do fell racing are themselves a different breed, only that the context of the fell race brings out or encourages a certain attitude in them than other kinds of events might. Of course many people do fell races AND other races, as you say, which I note in my introduction: 'I do not suggest that every fell runner should only ever run in the fell racing spirit, but rather that when we go fell racing, then there is a certain kind of way we should go about it'. Interestingly, I have never done a parkrun, but my understanding of the atmosphere there is that it is very similar, where you can either race hard or just go for a social outing, but either way it has a low-key not-for-profit feel.

> 'It's [not] all about the cake' / 'let's not forget we're here to race'

Interestingly I had anticipated that some people would object to my article from the other direction! One friend who read my draft felt that I had leant much too heavily on the competitive aspect, which many people have no interest in, but I kept it because I do think it is fundamental to the sport. The driving force of the 'effort' section in particular is all about the competitive spirit:

'I have taken it to be obvious that the point of a race is for runners to compete against one another, and against the clock. If not, why record places, or times? This competitiveness requires genuine personal effort, as I have discussed, but it is also helped tremendously by the presence of proper individual and tribal rivalries... The first emotional outlet is for strong – not to say aggressive – individual competitiveness. When the whistle goes, our willpower, forcefulness and desire to dominate are given permission to run free. We do not usually want to all cross the line together holding hands, we want to beat our competitors. It is a fight, albeit a fun one, and because the rules constrain our tactics, it is a good, fair fight. It is very evident that, often, record times are the result of two or more fast runners pushing each other to the very limit of their capacity, dragging out the last drop of energy that they would not – or perhaps could not – have found without that competitive psychological motivation snapping at their heels.'

Personally, I never enter a race without the intention to race. I put quite a lot of effort into trying to be a fast runner, and I get some decent results. But on those days that I don't feel like getting competitive, I will just go for a run by myself instead. So on this point, I also don't actually think we are in disagreement.

> 'I know there's an effort to move away from the impression that all fellrunners are masochistic hardmen who live on stream-water and hay.... but in my opinion people are trying to push too far in the other direction.'

I am curious that you would feel that my article is part of that trend? The section 'Responsibility' quite heavily focuses on the expectations of self-reliance, or what might be termed 'hardness' in fell racing, placing it at the heart of the sport. Again, I think we actually agree!

> 'someone turning up to a race "for a laugh" is [not] preferable to "a serious competitor"'

If both the laugher and competitor are from the village, I would prefer the competitor. If both the laugher and competitor are from far away, I would prefer for the competitor. But if the laugher is from the village and the competitor is from far away, then yes, I would prefer the laugher. I just think that it is that important that locally held events are as welcoming as possible for people who live there, and who are asked to welcome everyone else into their space for the event. As a side-note, I think most serious competitors begin life as laughers... then get the racing bug, and then the real fun begins! I hope that that the sentence immediately following ('though fortunately, there is almost always room for both!') might soften your obejections, but perhaps not. Of course there will always be outliers such as yourself Marco who do not live hear hills and make a special effort to travel to take part in the sport, and that is not a bad thing, but essentially I do think that the basis of the sport must be in communities within the fells. If half of a race's entries where from people who drove five hours from London, I would not be comofrtable with that, correct. So on this point, I think we do have a genuine disagreement.

Marco, vis a vis length, the audio version is an hour long, so I am not surprised it took you more than 20 minutes to read! Perhaps that's not to your taste, but it was my intention to write a long-form piece, so I am quite happy to bite the bullet on that.

The chart I included simply puts everything I discuss in the 'creativity' section into a structured form. It only uses the terms I have outlined and defined in that section, but I was thought that it might help people conceptualise the categories more clearly.

As for who the article is pitched at... it is definitely aimed at people who already have a good amount of experience at fell races. My main goal was just to set down and clarify how I feel about the sport, for the sake of my own interest, but I thought that it might strike a chord with others too, hence my decision to share it. I agree that it would not be a good 'intro' to the sport, for the uninitiated.

I'm sorry that you both feel that this does not reflect your own experiences of the fell racing scene. I have receieved a lot of very positive feedback from others (including a good variety, from national champions and race winners to infrequent participants, race organisers, young and old etc.) who found that it does accord with their thoughts and feelings, so I am reassured that I am not alone in my views, but it is also very welcome to hear from other points of view too!

Cheers,

Bobby
    Last edited by spidershankes; 30-05-2023 at 11:20 AM.

Turn up at a fell race for a laugh and you could end up putting yourself and others in danger.
    Richard Taylor
    "William Tell could take an apple off your head. Taylor could take out a processed pea."
    Sid Waddell

'Having a laugh', in the colloquial sense of just having lighthearted fun, not in the sense of messing around irresponsibly.

Not every race is a Wasdale or a Coniston Gullies, there are easier, shorter races that are perfectly suitable for somebody just wanting to have a go without needing to be in much more danger than going for a run around the park.

Quote Originally Posted by spidershankes View Post
    'Having a laugh', in the colloquial sense of just having lighthearted fun, not in the sense of messing around irresponsibly.

Not every race is a Wasdale or a Coniston Gullies, there are easier, shorter races that are perfectly suitable for somebody just wanting to have a go without needing to be in much more danger than going for a run around the park.
    Language is a devil isn't it.

When I read the thread, I took "having a laugh" to mean; turning up to a race with the sole goal for your race to be having a nice enjoyable time of it. Approaching the race in full acknowledgement of the seriousness of the undertaking and the prevailing/forecast weather. To enjoy the challenge of the whole undertaking but coast round at say 80% effort, have a bit of chat/banter with fellow runners and slow down (possibly stop!) to enjoy any particularly special views. Not really caring about where you place positionwise in the race. Doing the race because sometimes it is nice to do something as a shared experience.

That is in contrast to "racing" which would be as above, but instead of coasting it, going as hard as possible all the way. Storming the descents over rough ground to try and gain a place or two and finishing in a sweaty, broken heap on the floor. Arguably I'm "safer" when "having a laugh" than "racing", as everything is done in a more considered way.

I can see how some people might understand "having a laugh" to mean a couple of mates in the pub, after having 5 pints thinking, hey that fell race tomorrow is meant to be well 'ard, let's have a crack, it'll be a larf, don't worry about that compass getting lost will make for a bigger tale to tell afterwards. With that understanding of "having a laugh", I agree with WP.

Quote Originally Posted by PiesAreGood View Post
    I can see how some people might understand "having a laugh" to mean a couple of mates in the pub, after having 5 pints thinking, hey that fell race tomorrow is meant to be well 'ard, let's have a crack, it'll be a larf, don't worry about that compass getting lost will make for a bigger tale to tell afterwards. With that understanding of "having a laugh", I agree with WP.
    Wasn't there an issue with tough mudders "having a laugh" in a Lakeland Fell Race a few years back? Maybe I dreamt it

I'm all for taking part in a race and going around in a more relaxed manner, taking in the scenery, having a natter with fellow runners, marshalls and spectators. I once did a photo diary I was quite pleased with, to slow myself down (not that I needed to ) around the AW a week before the PPP.

But I do struggle with "having a laugh" which I think is a poor choice of words to convey what you seemed to intend and had I been proof reading I would have advised a change.
    Richard Taylor
    "William Tell could take an apple off your head. Taylor could take out a processed pea."
    Sid Waddell

Well done on writing it all down. I started reading it but......I guess I have the modern malaise of short attention span! But I get the gist of where you are going with your views.
    I guess each of us will have our own personal reasons for adding fell running and racing to our portfolio of physical endeavour. So each of us could pick holes in someone elses explanation of why run on the fells.
    Me? I transitioned from rugby to road running in my late 20's. Was an respectable if unspectacular club level road runner. But a running colleague did a couple of fell races and raved about them. So I did one with him. I could not get close to him on the road but I gave him a run for his money on that first race together. As a lover of mountains, I was immediately hooked and seduced by the mystique, individuality and camaraderie of the sport. I threw myself in 100%. I raced as hard as I could but also took time to revel in the environment. I loved it rough, terrain and weather. It spoke to me in a way that nothing else ever could. As a rugby player, I took pride in having a good engine and throwing myself at insurmountable odds. Fell running and racing gave me the same sense of personal achievement. And yes, I liked the fact that it was unusual and , dare I say it, elitist?
    Now I can't do it anymore, I miss it terribly. But I have a massive store of wonderful memories. I don't think a career in any other type of running would have left the same gift. One could worry that the ethos of the sport would change with the influx of new runners but in actual fact, if the articles in the Fellrunner are anything to go by, the sport seems to be in good hands. The restriction of newer tools like GPS and poles seems critical to preserving the ethos that I loved.
    Simon Blease
    Monmouth