Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Thread: Duathlon

Quote Originally Posted by Graham Breeze View Post
    You studied that closely?
    No Graham.

It was others pointing it out to me. It never crossed my mind.
    Visibility good except in Hill Fog

Are we getting into trans territory here 😱
    Don't roll with a pig in poo. You get covered in poo and the pig likes it.

Quote Originally Posted by Llani Boy View Post
    Of the 274 starters I managed to finish 146th, and to my surprise, 1st in my age group which means I have qualified for a GB vest in next years European Championships. The venue, as yet, is not known but knowing my luck it'll be somewhere like Milton Keynes, Sunderland, Port Talbot or Ilkley!
    Well done! I didn't see that coming as I read through your report!

Quote Originally Posted by Llani Boy View Post
    Off we went on the first run of 3 miles which I took in a steady 20.47. I breezed out of transition on my bike, picking up places on those changing their shoes, but straight into a headwind on my own.

I managed to tag onto the back of the leaders who came past, a lap ahead on the 8 lap, 12 mile, circuit but around a hairpin bend I slowed down, and never having ridden in a group before, lost the wheel and spent most of the next 7 laps alone, finishing in 31 min 35 sec.
    Ah yes, group riding. A completely different style of riding a bike. If you do decide to extend your competitive cycling career further let me know; I'm riding in some quite decent groups nowadays, and I would be happy to give you some tips and training drills - if you're interested.

Quote Originally Posted by molehill View Post
    Are we getting into trans territory here ������
    Careful Moley or you'll find yourself non platformed!

Quote Originally Posted by Marco View Post
    Well done! I didn't see that coming as I read through your report!

Ah yes, group riding. A completely different style of riding a bike. If you do decide to extend your competitive cycling career further let me know; I'm riding in some quite decent groups nowadays, and I would be happy to give you some tips and training drills - if you're interested.
    Thanks Marco.

My friend has given me a few tips and I will be getting some group riding experience with him and his cycling group but if I have any unanswered questions or want a second opinion I shall certainly pick your brains.

Master
    Quote Originally Posted by Marco View Post

I can remember reading Cavendish's comments somewhere about how long a decent amateur would be able to keep up with a peloton - he felt the big issue would be lack of riding skill - they would very quickly cause an accident.

Quote Originally Posted by Mike T View Post
    I can remember reading Cavendish's comments somewhere about how long a decent amateur would be able to keep up with a peloton - he felt the big issue would be lack of riding skill - they would very quickly cause an accident.
    Yes, that's a fair assesment.

When you're at the back of a big bunch the benefit is massive. I haven't seen any technical papers listing just how much the power saving is, because it's almost impossible to calculate on twisting roads with a changing bunch shape, but a conservative figure is 25 percent. Based on how easy it feels at the back of a big group I would say that on occasions the benefit will exceed 50 percent.

The greatest benefit only comes from riding very close to the rider in front - as in 50mm behind their back wheel. And if the group is smaller, you want to ride on the wheel of the largest rider in front.

In the euphoria of my Duathlon success, #1 of this thread, my pal Andrew talked me into doing another one and so yesterday I found myself warming the planet with a 400 mile round trip to Thruxton motor racing circuit in Hampshire.

A similar scenario to the last time with plenty of suntans and bling, me with my rat trap pedals and gel seat cover. I wore slightly different attire this time with a pair of Ron Hill running shorts and a matching light blue Helly Hansen short sleeved Lifa Vest. I did conform a little by getting myself a number belt. I got one or two strange looks as I racked my bike and was asked a few times if it was my "first one". I kept schtum!

There were no strange looks when I finished 2nd M60 and had the fastest times in both runs, both transitions but 4th on the bike leg. I have also qualified for a GB fancy suit at next years Age Group World Championships in Australia!

If I learned to ride a bike properly I'd have won it, as I lost so much time not being able to keep a wheel. I'll have to have a think and decide over the winter if I want to take Duathlon seriously or not.

People keep telling me it would be a great experience to compete for GB and to go for it, but deep down I don't think its my cup of tea!

That's brilliant. Well done LB.

I've just read this out to Mrs Noel. She asked whether team GB would pay for your plane fare to Oz.

Quote Originally Posted by noel View Post
    That's brilliant. Well done LB.

I've just read this out to Mrs Noel. She asked whether team GB would pay for your plane fare to Oz.
    No chance.

I could try changing my name to Brownlee!
    Last edited by Llani Boy; 02-10-2023 at 10:13 PM.