Thread: Rise of the Phoenix

Master
    Within sight of Leicestershire's Beacon Hill

Rise of the Phoenix

This race in Beacon Hill Country Park looked like it would have everything any self-respecting fell-runner would despise: £23 entry fee (for 5 miles), pretentious name for the race, ostentatious medal for all finishers, and a route entirely on well made tracks. But it was only 35 minutes' walk from my home. And it was actually quite enjoyable; I suppose it was rather like an extended parkrun. The two main ascents (there was a total of about 650 feet of climbing) were long, gentle grinds rather than the steeper stuff that I prefer; and I did lose a lot of places on the first descent. But I was quite pleased with a time of about 43 minutes (I haven't seen any results yet). Oh, and there was a sports massage tent near the finish.

The race information had a list of five names of the organising team: they were all female. Nice to see that the ladies have graduated from making the tea to organising the race. A nice touch in the prize giving: going through the veteran categories, the RO came to W70, and announced that the winner was "My Mum".
    In his lifetime he suffered from unreality, as do so many Englishmen.
    Jorge Luis Borges

Master
    Within sight of Leicestershire's Beacon Hill
    The results have come out now: I just failed to get into the top quarter of the results list (66th out of 256, but note that nearly 50% of the runners were female), whereas I have been in the bottom quarter in my last two fell races. My time was just over 150% of the winner's time. There was a discussion on the "fell racing ethic" on this Forum recently; well, the ethic in a race like this is much closer to the parkrun ethic than the fell racing ethic.

I was 4th M60 and, since the results list has the age of each runner, I was able to ascertain that no-one older than me was ahead of me, which is quite satisfying.
    In his lifetime he suffered from unreality, as do so many Englishmen.
    Jorge Luis Borges