Page 3 of 6 FirstFirst 12345 ... LastLast

Thread: Parkrun

Quote Originally Posted by Llani Boy View Post
    I'm not sure I'm faster than you on the fells MrB. I do seem to be running OK at the moment and the body seems fine but the bit between my ears takes a lot of convincing to actually get out there. It is a real struggle at the moment, I've no motivation whatsoever and its a battle that I must win.
    If you can finish in front of Darren fishwick you can finish in front of me.

Master
    Within sight of Leicestershire's Beacon Hill
    Quote Originally Posted by Llani Boy View Post
    I do seem to be running OK at the moment and the body seems fine but the bit between my ears takes a lot of convincing to actually get out there. It is a real struggle at the moment, I've no motivation whatsoever and its a battle that I must win.

You seem to be doing a lot of races recently. Maybe if you had a few weeks off racing, the motivation might come back; you would be feeling more "race-hungry"?
    In his lifetime he suffered from unreality, as do so many Englishmen.
    Jorge Luis Borges

Master
    Within sight of Leicestershire's Beacon Hill
    Today I parkran for the first time in over a year, and only the second time since the pandemic. All my previous 7 parkruns have been at Dishley, on the north side of Loughborough, but a parkrun was started at Beacon Hill in February this year, so I did that today. From the OS map, it has about 105 metres of climbing (and slightly more descent), so that's at least 100 metres more than at Dishley.

I used my usual race tactic of starting stupidly fast, but did get into a good rhythm once the pain had subsided. Finished in 24:27, which is 4 seconds faster than my last run at Dishley. First M65-69 (and I am ranked 4th of all M65's at the Beacon Hill parkrun), but didn't get above the 70% age-graded performance.
    In his lifetime he suffered from unreality, as do so many Englishmen.
    Jorge Luis Borges

Not a bad time Anthony...

One of my coaches at the club is 72 (and a 2:20 marathon man in his prime) and is running an almost identical time to you (although that is at Coventry which would be a lot flatter than Beacon Hill, so i'd give you a minute on him on a flat course)

The only time I've ever run a level paced parkrun is when I've been on a go-slow and wearing a 25m pacing vest. Even then my breathing rate will up itself to 3 strides/breath from 4 at about 3k. I try to hold steady at 2 strides/breath for at least 2k and then hang on for grim death, starting this way is the best way not to start in O2 debt. After 1500-2k it's down to focus and leg speed, I try to imagine effortless turnover as if I were running on clouds in a dream.

My fastest parkrun actually occurred when i found myself a little hemmed in for the first couple of minutes and therefore ran more evenly, not flying out of the blocks for the first km.

Although my fastest actual 5km time was my usual tactic of pushing hard from the off, although i somewhat fell off in the final km.... i just happened to be very quick over the first four... i'm hoping towards the end of this build up to Brampton-Carlisle i might be somewhere near pb pace by running evenly.

Is Fountains Abbey the finest parkrun? I'm fairly sure it is of the 40ish venues I've done.

I have now definitely scheduled a parkrun attempt for next saturday.

Went through 5km today in 19:09 as part of a longer run.

I didn't do Bramley parkrun today, I had a tester outing in the woods on Thursday and I'm definitely not ready for 3 sessions a week. My rolled ankle feels great, but my soleus is not yet out of the woods.

Did the Parkrun at Warwick Racecourse this morning.... my first parkrun since (i think) July of last year.

18:37.... was very pleased with that given the heat... fastest time at Warwick by a long way, and only 3 seconds short of my quickest parkrun time....

Not sure how much time the heat cost, but surely 15-20 seconds, which would put me in 5km pb territory (18:14)

After a brief dalliance with the top 3, settled into 5th for the remainder... at the halfway hairpin i was rather alarmed to find about 5 runners within 10 yards just behind, poised for the kill... but the most pleasing aspect for me was how i held my pace in the 2nd half, and i must've finished 50-100 yards in front of them by the end.