Thread: East side of Ullswater

Master
    Within sight of Leicestershire's Beacon Hill

East side of Ullswater

If I want to avoid the A592 when cycling from Penrith to Patterdale, there seem to be two options, both involving paths designated as bridleways. One is along the east shore of Ullswater (and itself splits into a lower and an upper path); the other is over Boredale Hause. [Yes, I know that the Romans built a good road along the ridge further to the east, and there's a bridleway down past Hayeswater, but I am trying to be moderately sensible.]

From pictures that I have seen, the lake shore path looks like the easier option (quite apart from having less climbing!); but I am wondering whether even that could be rather difficult after all the recent rain. Can anyone with knowledge of this area please advise? I don't mind walking with my bike, but I don't want to carry it.
    In his lifetime he suffered from unreality, as do so many Englishmen.
    Jorge Luis Borges

Master
    Quote Originally Posted by anthonykay View Post
    If I want to avoid the A592 when cycling from Penrith to Patterdale, there seem to be two options, both involving paths designated as bridleways. One is along the east shore of Ullswater (and itself splits into a lower and an upper path); the other is over Boredale Hause. [Yes, I know that the Romans built a good road along the ridge further to the east, and there's a bridleway down past Hayeswater, but I am trying to be moderately sensible.]

From pictures that I have seen, the lake shore path looks like the easier option (quite apart from having less climbing!); but I am wondering whether even that could be rather difficult after all the recent rain. Can anyone with knowledge of this area please advise? I don't mind walking with my bike, but I don't want to carry it.
    I have been along that lake shore path several times - it is quite rough in places and you would find yourself carrying your bike for brief sections. Despite Wainwright's praise for this path, I always enjoy the route over Place fell more - but it is not a cycling route.

Live in Brum, run in Worcestershire and Shropshire
    It's been a while but I'd agree with Mike. The path under place fell is rough and narrow at times and not recommended but neither is the A592. Have you thought about the cycle route/lanes that shadows the A66 towards Keswick and drop down to Ullswater through Dockray etc. Further but probably safer.
    Pete Shakespeare - U/A

Going downhill fast

Boredale Hause is not a cycle-friendly route either.

A592 along side Ullswater isn't too bad... I've done it all year round, all times of day.

Master
    Thank you all for this advice. Another idea that has occurred to me is to cycle to Howtown and then load me and the bike onto the steamer to Glenridding; a somewhat risky plan since the steamer website says that bikes will be accepted only if there is capacity. Or I could follow the route suggestion from Pete S, and then use the steamer from the Aira Force pier if I don't fancy the last few miles along the A592.
    Jorge Luis Borges

Live in Brum, run in Worcestershire and Shropshire
    Anthony, I reckon about 20 miles max from Penrith to Patterdale. The NCR71 will take you from Penrith to Matterdale End and then admittedly some A roads but initially a big downhill and then for the most part wider roads with fewer blind bends to negotiate. Good luck!
    Pete Shakespeare - U/A

Going downhill fast

Master
    Abort! Abort!

I have been looking at the weather forecast https://www.metoffice.gov.uk/weather...ate=2023-07-14 , and I went as far as emailing the RO, who said that there would be a race, but maybe not to the top of Helvellyn [Swirral Edge in heavy rain with a 25mph wind from the SE!]. I've also picked up a twinge in my calf. So I have cancelled my YH booking, and won't be going.

It's a bit disappointing, but I may try to get away for a race up a big mountain later in the year; maybe Elidir Fawr, or another go at Scafell Pike or the Half-Peris. Meanwhile, if the twinge doesn't amount to anything, there's a local trail race on Saturday.
    Jorge Luis Borges