Page 6 of 7 FirstFirst ... 4567 LastLast

Thread: Cross Country 2023-24

Had a look at my results from last year's Midlands..... i improved 65 places this year.

I did note in my post on here last year that i'd been suffering with a cold though.

I see Birmingham won the BUCS with ease, having the first three finishers.

Loughborough taking the honours in the Ladies' race.

There were dire warnings last night that today's course at Northampton was flooded and would be re-routed or shortened.

Thankfully the full course was able to go ahead as planned, although it was pretty muddy for Northampton.

I was a little more preoccupied with my foot/ankle issue. A pre-race discussion with my coach and i decided to go steady for 2.5 laps (6-7km) and if i felt ok to push on the final few km.

My main issue was not being able to get up on the balls of my feet, meaning when i hit the (frequent) very muddy sections i struggled to get purchase with my spikes and was all over the place. In hindsight i should have probably worn my x-talons given i had to run a bit more flat-footed today.

As it was, after 2.5 laps i was only about 15 seconds behind a couple of clubmates, one of which i've had some running battles with earlier in the season (although last couple of XC i've beat him convincingly)..... i put in a massive effort up the hill to get on their shoulders.... unfortunately that did it for me and i effectively hobbled round the final lap, losing about a minute on that lap alone.

Still i was glad i raced, was 11th man so scored in the B team and was 4th counter in the Masters team.

In the overall results... Birmingham Uni had their weakest fixture, but had enough points in hand to take the league victory. At the other end of the table, host club Rugby & Northampton pulled off a "great escape" and managed to dodge relegation, unfortunately condemning GazB's old club Wolves & Bilston to the drop.

We were 10th, firmly in mid-table after a bit of a scare on the opening fixture.... for my part, our B team were 6th and Masters team also 6th.

The most frustrating part of today was my below-par run today cost me three milestones that were easily in reach today had i been fit...

A highest ever race position.
    Top 100 individual overall for the season.
    Top 30 individual Master for the season.

Hopefully back firing on all cylinders for the National in a fortnight.... however i'll drop it if not 100% as i'd rather be in good shape for the Cardingmill Canter the weekend after.
    Last edited by Travs; 10-02-2024 at 08:41 PM.

Well done Travs. Shame about today as you have definitely moved up a level this season. I saw Wolves went down - they have the runners, but not enough of them are turning out, particularly this season. Loughborough were very weak and got beaten overall even by Warwick. Unheard of in the past! As well as the North Staffs league, I've kept busy by guesting in the SE Lancs, Red Rose and Manchester Leagues this season!

Quote Originally Posted by gazb View Post
    Well done Travs. Shame about today as you have definitely moved up a level this season. I saw Wolves went down - they have the runners, but not enough of them are turning out, particularly this season. Loughborough were very weak and got beaten overall even by Warwick. Unheard of in the past! As well as the North Staffs league, I've kept busy by guesting in the SE Lancs, Red Rose and Manchester Leagues this season!
    Thanks Gaz,

Its strange, i'm running quicker times than last year, and competing higher up against my own clubmates. But overall position in league races hasn't improved much, if at all.... the league just seems to keep getting stronger! Although my position in Midlands Champs was much improved.

Sorry to see Wolves go down... a permanent fixture in Division 1 whilst i've been running... hopefully back up at the first attempt.

Warwick Uni are strong this year.... if they get a full compliment out, they've probably got 6 runners who can go under or very close to 15mins for 5km.

National tomorrow on a new course between Wolves and Telford.

Not much is known about the course, although some inside info tells me there might be a steady hill on the far side of the large laps.

Lots of info coming out that the course is going to be in a right state due to the weather, and of course the men's race being last of all it will be very cut up.

My predictions...
    Individual: Callum Johnson (Gateshead Harriers)

Team: This is very hard to predict this year, but i'll go for Leeds City (wouldn't surprise me to see Highgate Harriers take it though).

Cancelled/postponed.

Don't suppose there's much that can be done.... but i feel sorry for those clubs coming from further away who likely booked travel/accommodation and days off work today.

Nationals re-scheduled for September.

That rules me out.....

My tip for the winter, Callum Johnson (Gateshead Harriers) won the inter-counties today, running away from Tom Evans (Midlands Champ) in the final 400metres.

Unfortunately i wasn't able to get over and watch it at Nottingham on what looked like a great day for it.

New National date of 14th September.

As expected i'll have to miss it as i'm racing in Spain the day before!