Thanks for all these comments. Sgorr nam Fiannaidh above Glencoe does indeed look impressive on the map. Glamaig would also be really brutal from the nearest point on the A87; the Glamaig Hill Race goes from Sligachan, so has a bit of gentler climbing before the really steep stuff. And the Grasmoor climb from Crummock Water must be among the best in the Lakes.

All this has reminded me that Autumn is when the steepest and most prestigious Vertical Kilometre races in the Alps take place. I have just been looking at some results, and I see that Christel Dewalle is continuing her one-woman campaign of lowering the VK World Record. After her 34:55 at Le Grand Serre in 2022, she did 34:14 a few weeks later at Fully, and has now lowered that to 34:12 at this year's VK at Fully. [Holly Page was 3rd woman, but more than 7 minutes slower.] As far as I am aware, no other woman has gone below 35 minutes at any Vertical Kilometre race. Among the men, no-one has come near Philip Götsch's 28:53, achieved in 2017 at Fully.