Headed out from Weasdale for today's outing, up onto Green Bell, Randygill Top, Kensgriff, Yarlside and back (8.70 miles, 2793 feet). Lovely clear skies, and gentle breeze.

However, running back down from Randgill, spying the green trod ahead towards Green Bell, I noticed a solitary figure heading my way. Unusual in itself as there are few walkers about here generally, but as i approached my curiosity deepened.

It was a gentleman, of slight build and medium height. With glasses and a large bald patch bordered by white hair. I'd have guessed he was in his late 70s. What caught my eye particularly however was his attire. White shirt, collar and tie, v-necked jumper. He wore a long waterproof, wide open. It looked as if he might have left church this morning, turned left and kept walking. To get to where we met, it was quite a walk for anyone, and he still had some way to go and then return.

Wonderment got the better of me and also a mild concern for his health, I stopped to chat. We conferred about the usual British themes - the weather, the clear views - and then chatted about the tops here and about. Reassured he was compos mentis, I headed off. I wondered if he was a retired Sedbergh School master, given his accent, and demeanour, etc. A bit of a caricature for the role of school master perhaps! My prejudice?

Running back down to the car I reflected on whether I was over-dressed, in my high tech, overly expensive (albeit now aging) gear. After all, my grandfather used to work in his allotment always wearing a collar and tie (Percy Thrower like) and many a farmer I knew when growing up wore a shirt and tie regularly while working.

Arriving back at my car parked on the verge, I noticed another vehicle along the lane, parked a bit skew-whiff, but passable. It was a late 1950s Daimler Legacy (I'm a bit of a Petrol-Head) and in the windscreen was a local university's staff parking permit, dated 2014 (with a few others tucked behind) - so my caricature not so far off?

The car looked authentic. That is, very much a daily drive rather than some pampered restored shiny classic. A hub cap missing, bumps and dents, etc. with a lovely pre-reg number (I'll withhold for his privacy).