Thread: Principles

Principles

I have been a digital subscriber to the Telegraph for most of the last 10 years.

The cost has varied up to £8 a month. A year ago I was asked to accept the new monthly fee of £12.99 a month and declined.

They offered me £29 for the year.

I thought it was a bit of a nerve, but I bit as at times when I have lapsed previously I have missed having access.

So it was up for renewal and this morning I received my notification that in 10 days I would be charged £239 for the year.

I called to cancel. The representative acknowledged it was quite a leap and offered to keep me at £29, which I declined.

I advised him that the ethics and principles of the Telegraph is counter to mine. That they can try and glean a 824% increase out of loyal subscribers and maybe get away with some, is appalling.

So on that basis, they would lose me as a subscriber.
    Richard Taylor
    "William Tell could take an apple off your head. Taylor could take out a processed pea."
    Sid Waddell

'Those are my principles, and if you don't like them... well, I have others'

Attributed to Groucho Marx.

Quote Originally Posted by Witton Park View Post
    I have been a digital subscriber to the Telegraph for most of the last 10 years.

The cost has varied up to £8 a month. A year ago I was asked to accept the new monthly fee of £12.99 a month and declined.

I thought it was a bit of a nerve, but I bit as at times when I have lapsed previously I have missed having access.

So it was up for renewal and this morning I received my notification that in 10 days I would be charged £239 for the year.

I called to cancel. The representative acknowledged it was quite a leap and offered to keep me at £29, which I declined.

I advised him that the ethics and principles of the Telegraph is counter to mine. That they can try and glean a 824% increase out of loyal subscribers and maybe get away with some, is appalling.

Well the Telegraph is currently bankrupt and owned by its banks.

Arguably it has been bankrupt in integrity et al since the Barclay brothers bought it.

My mother recently cancelled her subscription and I no longer see it regularly.

I don't miss it.
    "...as dry as the Atacama desert".

Master
    Quote Originally Posted by Witton Park View Post

Extraordinary behaviour by that "newspaper" - well done Richard.

You're in luck WP: the Guardian are running a black friday offer on annual subscription:

https://support.theguardian.com/uk/s...ekly#subscribe

Glad I could help.

I believe its calleed 'sweating the assets'....a true sign of an organisation in trouble!
    Simon Blease
    Monmouth

I'm sure you all come across it regular.

Sky TV etc - when you threaten to cancel.

I have Netflix now offering me £4 a month when I cancelled at £8 in February.

The Spectator £15 for 6 months. The last time I signed up I got a free bottle of Johnny Walker Black label for a commitment less than I would pay for the bottle.

The latest is Norton. As soon as I cancelled the auto renewal, I got daily offers.

And a nod to Siteground, my webhosts for my business and Witton Relays event. I was being asked to pay upward of £300 per annum when they were offering new customers 1/3 of that price for my level of hosting.
    I gave them a call and got the new customer rate and resigned for 3 years.

But the highly egregious nature of the Telegraph scam stood out.
    Richard Taylor
    "William Tell could take an apple off your head. Taylor could take out a processed pea."
    Sid Waddell

Quote Originally Posted by noel View Post
    You're in luck WP: the Guardian are running a black friday offer on annual subscription:

https://support.theguardian.com/uk/s...ekly#subscribe

Glad I could help.
    For 60 years I have effectively only taken The D. Telegraph or The Times (and the FT when my employer was paying).

But when I moved from engineering to personnel work forty years ago I discovered everybody in the department read The Guardian. Obviously all frustrated, bolshie teachers.

Well I didn't get where I am today...so I switched. But I felt unclean. The lies...the poison...I couldn't live with myself and so went back to The Times. But fortunately the daughter of my then boss wrote for The Times so I could show him her articles as they appeared. He was very pleased.

So retain my integrity and enhance my career. Is that a win-win?

Quote Originally Posted by Graham Breeze View Post
    Well I didn't get where I am today...so I switched. But I felt unclean. The lies...the poison...I couldn't live with myself and so went back to The Times. But fortunately the daughter of my then boss wrote for The Times so I could show him her articles as they appeared. He was very pleased.

So retain my integrity and enhance my career. Is that a win-win?
    Sounds like 'crawling' to me

Quote Originally Posted by Marco View Post
    Sounds like 'crawling' to me
    Ah well, as Henri IV of France said to me "Paris is well worth a mass".