Thread: Waterproofs not required!

Waterproofs not required!

I couldn't find an appropriate thread so started this one.

This year I have raced 34 times and have still to wear a waterproof in anger during a race. The closest I have come was at Maesgwm Muddle and Pen Y Fan races when I donned a jacket and then removed it on the start line as the weather started to improve.

Its not that I am a fair weather runner either as I love a battle with the elements but cycling is a different matter, where I refuse to start a ride if its raining!

I don't recall it being a particularly dry year either so I must have dropped lucky with my races.

I'll have to get out on some training runs in the wind and rain to remind myself of the running in waterproofs routine, in time for Trigger, where it is odds on they'll be required!
    Visibility good except in Hill Fog

Are you coming up for Really Wild Boar? It's always foul for that.
    Luke Appleyard (Wharfedale)- quick on the dissent

Live in Brum, run in Worcestershire and Shropshire
    I think it has been quite a dry year. My lack of posts on the mud thread would probably confirm that. It's still what you would call really muddy yet.
    Purely anecdotal, but I seem to recall this year's significant rainfall as one of isolated heavy showers rather than much in the way of persistent rain. I too can only recall a few runs requiring a waterproof and only one was a race - the Lake District Mountain Trial.
    Pete Shakespeare - U/A

Going downhill fast

Admittedly i've only done about 8 fell races this year... but i've only needed to use my waterproofs once, and that (would you believe) was in July. At the Four Fans.

Funnily enough, the worst weather i've encountered on a race* was another July race... Wasdale in about 2016

*not including the Trigger, which in my view is in a league of its own for severity with the weather.

Quote Originally Posted by mr brightside View Post
    Are you coming up for Really Wild Boar? It's always foul for that.
    Tempted but currently got Cardington Cracker pencilled in the day after. I note it is EOD so an option if plans change at the last minute.
    Visibility good except in Hill Fog

Quote Originally Posted by Llani Boy View Post
    Tempted but currently got Cardington Cracker pencilled in the day after. I note it is EOD so an option if plans change at the last minute.
    It's a long drive, but a proper fine race.

Quote Originally Posted by MattPo View Post
    It's a long drive, but a proper fine race.
    Yes, course originator was Gary Devine.
    Luke Appleyard (Wharfedale)- quick on the dissent

Quote Originally Posted by mr brightside View Post
    Yes, course originator was Gary Devine.
    So Famous Boff wrote a book about him!

Master
    Within sight of Leicestershire's Beacon Hill
    Back to the original topic of this thread . . . .

I haven't done many races this year, and my waterproofs haven't been taken out of the bumbag during any of the races I have done; although I did have to put them on soon after the finish of Tegg's Nose in August.

There was one race in July (like Travs' examples) where I didn't get to the start because of the forecast rain (and wind). But the problem wasn't that I didn't want to run in the rain; rather, it was obvious that the RO would need to curtail the course. Racing up Helvellyn via Swirral Edge would have been worth travelling to, but a run up to Hole In The Wall wasn't.
    In his lifetime he suffered from unreality, as do so many Englishmen.
    Jorge Luis Borges

Quote Originally Posted by anthonykay View Post
    Back to the original topic of this thread . . . .

I haven't done many races this year, and my waterproofs haven't been taken out of the bumbag during any of the races I have done; although I did have to put them on soon after the finish of Tegg's Nose in August.

There was one race in July (like Travs' examples) where I didn't get to the start because of the forecast rain (and wind). But the problem wasn't that I didn't want to run in the rain; rather, it was obvious that the RO would need to curtail the course. Racing up Helvellyn via Swirral Edge would have been worth travelling to, but a run up to Hole In The Wall wasn't.

In fact it was an up-and-down to/from Hole In The Wall, which completely changes the character of the race (although in the conditions i suppose its great that the RO can put any race on at all.

I'll be there next year... in fact i'm still the only entrant.