Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: Sexism

Master
    I have been cutting my own hair for over a decade - saves a fortune, and - er - cuts out the risk of being infected by the barber. The last formal cut I had - I was still working and my hair was really quite untidy - was just before a marathon, and when I sat down in the barber's chair it was obvious the barber had a streaming cold - I should have bolted but didn't - luckily I did not not come down with anything.

With Covid closures my partner went from dyed dark to natural grey - looks much nicer and her visits have roughly halved in price - but still £35 - although that includes coffee!

Quote Originally Posted by Mossdog View Post
    Not so Sir!

I go to a local village place every three weeks, and have done so over the last 30 years. It's a 'hairdressers' (ahem) not barbers, run my a couple of local farming lasses who I nick-name 'the shearing sister'. The place has lurchers, or other odd assortments of dogs, languishing around, people wearing wellies and overalls (and that's some of the lady customers too). The authentic shabby but not chic - I love it. One of the pair is a local mole-catcher as a side-line, and there are definitely no cups of tea or coffee on offer.

For blokes, especially those with a yearly diminishing barnet like mine, there's effectively only one style on offer, delivered by electric clippers. With a singular style that's eminently helpful when out and about for distinguishing between local residents and grottles.

It takes them about an hour of lavishing their clippers on my hair, and plenty of local gossip and merriment is exchanged. Definitely no Indian head massages here, but I do get to have my head cushioned by a pair of ample bosoms throughout the operation.

Price back in 1990s was £3:00 and recently it's rocketed to a tenner. Worth every penny.

Ladies pay more, but they have a slightly wider choice of styles.
    Electric clippers? But what happens during the sheep shearing season?
    "...as dry as the Atacama desert".

Anyone who's met me will likely be astounded that, yes, i do still go to the barbers....

Luckily there is a proliferation of barbers in Coventry.

One is a Coventry City fan and keen cyclist, and i go there if i fancy a chat, and costs £7

Just along the road is a Turkish place which is over double the cost... conversation is considerably more limited but the quality of the haircut is well worth the cost.

Master
    Quote Originally Posted by Mossdog View Post
    Not so Sir!

I go to a local village place every three weeks, and have done so over the last 30 years. It's a 'hairdressers' (ahem) not barbers, run my a couple of local farming lasses who I nick-name 'the shearing sister'. The place has lurchers, or other odd assortments of dogs, languishing around, people wearing wellies and overalls (and that's some of the lady customers too). The authentic shabby but not chic - I love it. One of the pair is a local mole-catcher as a side-line, and there are definitely no cups of tea or coffee on offer.

For blokes, especially those with a yearly diminishing barnet like mine, there's effectively only one style on offer, delivered by electric clippers. With a singular style that's eminently helpful when out and about for distinguishing between local residents and grottles.

It takes them about an hour of lavishing their clippers on my hair, and plenty of local gossip and merriment is exchanged. Definitely no Indian head massages here, but I do get to have my head cushioned by a pair of ample bosoms throughout the operation.

Price back in 1990s was £3:00 and recently it's rocketed to a tenner. Worth every penny.

Ladies pay more, but they have a slightly wider choice of styles.
    Love it - but an hour - do they cut each hair individually?

Quote Originally Posted by Mike T View Post
    Love it - but an hour - do they cut each hair individually?
    My partner is astonished at that too, and asks the exact same question But what can I say, they're perfectionists and, well, I guess they appreciate my company.

Re your post above and barbers sniffles, I'm convinced the 'earthy' conditions of my hairdressers ensures I always leave with my immune system enhanced!
    Am Yisrael Chai

Sounds like my sort of place.

I do my own hair with clippers, and have for about the last 20 years. I'm pleased to have saved all that money, but do miss the local gossip.

Quote Originally Posted by noel View Post
    Sounds like my sort of place.

I do my own hair with clippers, and have for about the last 20 years. I'm pleased to have saved all that money, but do miss the local gossip.
    Coming from Yorkshire and nowadays residing mostly in Scotland nobody who knows me is at all surprised that many years ago I purchased some electric clippers and haven't set foot in a barbers since. As the clippers are electric I usually cut my hair during sunny days when my solar panels are active. My wife's haircut costs her £5 every time. I've told her that if it ever increases she will have to share my clippers. Remarkably the price has never increased. Or so she tells me.
    And for guys who have anything other than a crew cut - come on, just what exactly do you think you are doing? We all know turd polishing is pointless.
    Last edited by Mark G; 15-12-2023 at 06:01 PM.

Since I retired I have used my clippers, to shave it all off every spring and then not touch my hair for the following 12 months.
    But a few weeks ago I broke with tradition and my wife dragged me off to her hairdresser,I have decided to have a mullet and had it shaped for that, needs another trim now but coming along nicely- reckon I shall look pretty cool for a 71 year old by the spring.
    I have no idea how much the haircut costs, I went out when my wife started negotiations, some things are best not to know!
    Don't roll with a pig in poo. You get covered in poo and the pig likes it.

������������������������������
    Visibility good except in Hill Fog

Quote Originally Posted by Witton Park View Post
    I've gone in the same hairdressers since I moved to Blackburn apart from my first venture to the local barber which was not a great experience.

I have a wash, cut and blow.

Takes about 20-25 minutes and they have charged me from £10 to £15 now.

My wife used to travel to her old hairdresser in Bacup, but after some issues decided to go to the one I'd used about 4-5 years ago.

She was charged £26, then £27, then £30 and this morning she's come back and it's £33, so mine will probably go up a couple of quid when I next go.

I'm just staggered that women can do this to women. Charging my wife double for exactly the same. In fact I've got a comparative jungle, so I'm a bigger job.

Looking around at other salons, it's the same. It seems to be industry practise.

Appalling.
    Went last Friday and mine cost £15, so my wife is now having to pay more than double for essentially the same service.
    Richard Taylor
    "William Tell could take an apple off your head. Taylor could take out a processed pea."
    Sid Waddell