Thread: 13 years since last fell race…

13 years since last fell race…

Jeez, I m a lot heavier, a lot slower, the hills seem to have grown and the inclines steeper, you actually have to navigate at the back of the race, those harnesses with squidgy drinks bottles makes sense when you are out for nearly twice as long as a race used to take! They cancel fell races these days due to bad weather ( I still do the route like a stubborn thing) !!! All my local races have changed the course routes and some have been reversed and environmental factors are now in most races ! Folks use phones and fancy watches which seems to be a bit out of the spirit of the challenge. Some faces still seem familiar but everyone seems to be an ultra runner and a lot fitter for it ? The joy of traversing still brings unbridled joy and wonder, that hasn’t changed.

Naked before the beast (well shorts and at least a T shirt) that's the only way. New fangled gizmos are bollox. Things change, but some remain the same. Just go out and enjoy it with shouts of - in my day....

Live in Brum, run in Worcestershire and Shropshire
    I'm afraid it comes to is all but as some wag said, the real athletes are those out running for 6 hours not these elite types getting the job done in 2 or 3.
    Pete Shakespeare - U/A

Going downhill fast

Well done for getting back into it though. Its near 4 years for me and the pain of separation is still acute. I won't race again but it's great to hear from those who have picked up the reigns. As Pete says, the real hero's are at the back!

2017 I was stopped from running, now enjoying the views I've hardly ever seen, marshal duties, sit down when I want to and grumble to myself. Also don't get these running corset things, overheating must be an issue.
    A circular route mostly downhill