Thread: Keswick AC Harry Blenkinsop

Keswick AC Harry Blenkinsop

Quite sometime since I posted on here, but just to pass on a sad note that on Thursday 22nd of February our long standing president Harry Blenkinsop died in hospital aged 86. I've posted a pdf. on the fell running uk facebook page, SMoTS gives a clear summary of his sporting life up to 1982, but this was before his two Everest marathons, 1997 and 1999. Funeral Monday 11th March, St. Andrews in Penrith.
    A circular route mostly downhill

Quote Originally Posted by Chris K View Post
    Quite sometime since I posted on here, but just to pass on a sad note that on Thursday 22nd of February our long standing president Harry Blenkinsop died in hospital aged 86. I've posted a pdf. on the fell running uk facebook page, SMoTS gives a clear summary of his sporting life up to 1982, but this was before his two Everest marathons, 1997 and 1999. Funeral Monday 11th March, St. Andrews in Penrith.
    Thanks for posting this Chris and I was sorry to hear of Harry's passing. Harry was my form-master and taught me physics at Ullswater School in Penrith in the very early 1970s. My fellow pupils and I were unaware of Harry's athletic skills and thought it a bit weird that he spent so much time in scruffy running kit. When I started taking an interest in fell running many decades later, I found out that Harry had been at the top of the fell running tree at that time.

I did eventually get to run the same race with him at Arnison Crag in Aug 1999 when he would have been a V60.
    Hayfield Fell Races - https://www.t42.org.uk/hayfield/

Quote Originally Posted by SteveT View Post
    Thanks for posting this Chris and I was sorry to hear of Harry's passing. Harry was my form-master and taught me physics at Ullswater School in Penrith in the very early 1970s. My fellow pupils and I were unaware of Harry's athletic skills and thought it a bit weird that he spent so much time in scruffy running kit. When I started taking an interest in fell running many decades later, I found out that Harry had been at the top of the fell running tree at that time.

I did eventually get to run the same race with him at Arnison Crag in Aug 1999 when he would have been a V60.
    Its appeared on my activity thread Steve!
    Visibility good except in Hill Fog

I have a printed copy of his running career (from the club newsletter) up to 1994 when he became club president, quite amazing that he did his second Everest marathon in 1999, but just as eager to get another Arnison Dash done in the same year. Happy to try and copy it for anyone who would like it, don't think I can copy onto here.

I have a printed copy of his running career (from the club newsletter) up to 1994 when he became club president, quite amazing that he did his second Everest marathon in 1999, but just as eager to get another Arnison Dash done in the same year. Happy to try and copy it for anyone who would like it, don't think I can copy onto here.
    I would like to see a copy, if possible, Chris. Maybe you could get it put on the Keswick AC web site (or email - my address is on the web site in my signature here).

Cheers...

What a really good informative web site Steve! If I can't get it copied from our members page to the public one, I'll email you a copy. Found out about his involvement with D of E Gold award assessing last night, I'll have to alter my service talk to include that.

[QUOTE=Chris K;687242]What a really good informative web site Steve! /QUOTE]

Agreed.

Everything you need to know about Peak District Fell Running.
    Visibility good except in Hill Fog

What a really good informative web site Steve! If I can't get it copied from our members page to the public one, I'll email you a copy. Found out about his involvement with D of E Gold award assessing last night, I'll have to alter my service talk to include that.
    Thanks Chris (& Llani).

Harry had a great send off and a pretty full St. Andrews Church to join in the celebration of his life. Brian Goulden recalled his days with Border City Wheelers and Sale Harriers, myself on Keswick AC and DofE assessing, Alan Davis and Richard Hardaker on climbing and Munro adventures...run easy, run long.