Page 1 of 5 123 ... LastLast
Results 1 to 10 of 50

Thread: Climate: The Movie

  1. #1
    Moderator Mossdog's Avatar
    Join Date
    Nov 2007
    Location
    Teesdale
    Posts
    2,865

    Climate: The Movie

    This is a brilliant synopsis of the current issues:

    https://vimeo.com/924719370
    Am Yisrael Chai

  2. #2
    Master Witton Park's Avatar
    Join Date
    Aug 2007
    Location
    Blackburn
    Posts
    8,879
    I agree. I watched last week.
    Richard Taylor
    "William Tell could take an apple off your head. Taylor could take out a processed pea."
    Sid Waddell

  3. #3
    Master
    Join Date
    Apr 2009
    Location
    Ambleside
    Posts
    5,691
    I have only watched 33 minutes so far. It is a bit like a Party Political Broadcast; it tries to look objective, but does not remotely attempt to give the other Parties' points of view.

  4. #4
    Moderator noel's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2007
    Location
    Western Peak District
    Posts
    6,248
    There's clearly a market for people who only want to hear one side of this argument. I think it's human nature to want to disbelieve things the more we're told them.

  5. #5
    Senior Member
    Join Date
    May 2020
    Posts
    728
    A lot of old, very old or very very old men (not a woman in sight ) spouting their biased nonsense

    Is that a metaphor for the FRA forum nowadays

  6. #6
    Moderator Mossdog's Avatar
    Join Date
    Nov 2007
    Location
    Teesdale
    Posts
    2,865
    Quote Originally Posted by noel View Post
    There's clearly a market for people who only want to hear one side of this argument. I think it's human nature to want to disbelieve things the more we're told them.
    Totalling agree. And the market seems to be related to Green $. It's a shame, as you say, we don't hear from other experts and thinkers in the field. I'm pleased this movie gives a perspective often not allowed (literally suppressed) to be broadcast.

    I have a background in Science, and a particular interest in the underlying philosophy of Science (PhD research interest). Thomas Kuhn, among others provided an interesting perspective on how Science actually progresses (psychological and sociological pressures) and subsequent shifts in paradigms, as opposed to the often described gradual evolution towards 'the truth'. So, it's always important to be mindful of shaping factors: explicit or less so.
    Am Yisrael Chai

  7. #7
    Master
    Join Date
    Jan 2015
    Location
    Within sight of Leicestershire's Beacon Hill
    Posts
    2,513
    Quote Originally Posted by Mossdog View Post

    So what aspects of the Science quoted do you not agree with or wish to challenge?
    The bit of bad science that was most obvious to me was where a graph was shown comparing the very slow rate of ocean temperature increase to that of the atmosphere, and then claiming that this meant that global warming was at a very low level. The heat capacity of the ocean is so much greater than that of the atmosphere, so a slow rate of ocean warming is precisely what you would expect. Most of us don't live in the ocean, so the fast rate of atmospheric warming is of greater concern!

    Then there was the ridiculous claim that the IPCC don't admit any influence of solar activity variation. All the climate models do take into account solar variation and a variety of other influences, before trying to tease out the effect of greenhouse gases. And it was interesting to see a graph showing solar activity and global (rural) temperatures, showing that solar activity could explain the cooling from 1940 to 1970, but that there has been continued warming over the last 20 years despite a decrease in solar activity. And on the subject of graphs, there was a tendency throughout the scientific sections of the film to superimpose plots of quantities with different dimensions, which can give a completely misleading impression of the magnitude of one quantity relative to the other: a classic "bad science" technique.

    The point that we don't need to worry about warming because the temperature has been much higher over most of the last 500 million years is laughable. Most of us in the Forum live in places where the underlying geology is sedimentary rock: the place was under water for much of the last 500 million years. We might just consider a rapid transition back to those conditions to be an emergency!

    It is true, as claimed in the movie, that scientists can feel under pressure to produce results in accord with what their funding sources want. So why was it not mentioned that at least some of the scientists interviewed were funded by the fossil fuel industry?

    Al Gore must be feeling very flattered to hear that he has single-handedly changed the narrative accepted by governments. In fact, most governments have had to be dragged, kicking and screaming, into accepting that climate change needs to be mitigated. The fact that they are making a hash of it, e.g. by denying poor countries the technology they need, doesn't negate that need.
    Last edited by anthonykay; 28-03-2024 at 11:44 AM.
    In his lifetime he suffered from unreality, as do so many Englishmen.
    Jorge Luis Borges

  8. #8
    Senior Member
    Join Date
    May 2020
    Posts
    728
    Quote Originally Posted by Mossdog View Post
    Aside from making a tired sexist, ageist, totalising dismissal (pleased you didn't add in a racist trope too - well done) of acknowledged experts in their fields, you clearly haven't watched it right through, or you'd realise you're wrong. A genuine case of myopia in both observation and thinking?

    So what aspects of the Science quoted do you not agree with or wish to challenge? What do you mean by biased? Why is their opinion nonsense? Please don't say it's because you didn't like their shirts or choice of jumpers.

    "It does take great maturity to understand that the opinion we are arguing for is merely the hypothesis we favor, necessarily imperfect, probably transitory, which only very limited minds can declare to be a certainty or a truth."

    Milan Kundera

    Kundera was cancelled by the Communist too, having been staunchly pro-communist, swallowing the prevailing, orthodox, authoritarian narrative of his time while younger.
    A film chocka with climate change denialists spouting their Micky mouse climate change denialism, made by a climate change denialist, produced by a climate change denialist and financed by fossil fuels and climate change denialists - I’m totally stunned at the final conclusions

  9. #9
    Master Witton Park's Avatar
    Join Date
    Aug 2007
    Location
    Blackburn
    Posts
    8,879
    Quote Originally Posted by noel View Post
    There's clearly a market for people who only want to hear one side of this argument.
    Yes, they tend to have watched the BBC, Sky News, C4 over the years.
    Richard Taylor
    "William Tell could take an apple off your head. Taylor could take out a processed pea."
    Sid Waddell

  10. #10
    Senior Member
    Join Date
    May 2020
    Posts
    728
    Quote Originally Posted by Witton Park View Post
    Yes, they tend to have watched the BBC, Sky News, C4 over the years.
    So David Attenborough was lying all along

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •