Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: Great Manchester Half Marathon

Quote Originally Posted by Travs View Post
    Did you find much difference between 10 miles and the half marathon?

I've done a couple of 10 mile races (Brampton - Carlisle) and although i was definitely suffering, i'm sure with training i could hold pace for another 3 miles.
    The Worksop Half marathon on 27th October is a nice one Travs. All on tarmac in and around Clumber Park. Not a PB course as a bit hilly. I did 1:27 in 2017 having only run no further than 8 miles previously!

I'm planning on giving it a go again if it doesn't clash with the one off FRA presentation weekend Fell Race which I hear is being planned .

PS
    Just thought Travs that the Buxton Half would be right up your street as there is 1540 feet of ascent. A lovely scenic route. I've not run it but marshaled the race and cycled the route many times.

It was on last Sunday and the winner got around in 1:13:22, 4 mins ahead of 2nd place!
    Last edited by Llani Boy; 28-05-2024 at 08:28 AM.
    Visibility good except in Hill Fog

Quote Originally Posted by Llani Boy View Post
    The Worksop Half marathon on 27th October is a nice one Travs. All on tarmac in and around Clumber Park. Not a PB course as a bit hilly. I did 1:27 in 2017 having only run no further than 8 miles previously!

I'm planning on giving it a go again if it doesn't clash with the one off FRA presentation weekend Fell Race which I hear is being planned .

PS
    Just thought Travs that the Buxton Half would be right up your street as there is 1540 feet of ascent. A lovely scenic route. I've not run it but marshaled the race and cycled the route many times.

It was on last Sunday and the winner got around in 1:13:22, 4 mins ahead of 2nd place!
    Thanks for the info.

To be honest, if i'm looking for a road race then i'd be looking for a "fast" course.... road to me is about times so i'm not too fussed about hilly courses. Coventry Half Marathon i'd consider as its local, although known as a tough course (although i'd contest this opinion)

Planning out the next year or so, and i don't think i'm going to have time for road to feature much.... although i'm hoping to do the Battersea 5 Mile at xmas.

Quote Originally Posted by Travs View Post
    Did you find much difference between 10 miles and the half marathon?

I've done a couple of 10 mile races (Brampton - Carlisle) and although I was definitely suffering, i'm sure with training i could hold pace for another 3 miles.
    Although I like endurance I'm not very good at it. Probably better equipped for shorter stuff. I was always quick as a kid, playing on the wing at football and hockey.
    I got myself to 6 minute miling at 5k to 10k and I did sub 65 at 10 miles but 1:28 was my best at Frackleton and the last 3 miles were mind-numbing.
    So just personal to me probably.
    To do distance, I need to nice views and countryside.
    Richard Taylor
    "William Tell could take an apple off your head. Taylor could take out a processed pea."
    Sid Waddell