Thread: Soles of feet pain

Soles of feet pain

This doesn't really count as an injury, but I'm not sure where else to put it!

When running for a long time (and sometimes when just spending a full day stood up!) the soles of me feet get really painful whenever I put pressure on them. They look a bit white, but otherwise there is nothing noticably wrong. Most people I run with get a similar thing, but I seem to get it much worse and after much less running than the rest of them. I think I just need to toughen them up a bit, but wasn't sure how to go about doing this - is it just a case of getting better with more time/races, or is there another way. Any thoughts from those who've had similar problems will be much appreciated!

a

Master and MR

Re: Soles of feet pain

wrong shoes

Does the pain occur regardless of whatever footwear you are wearing, or only with specific shoes/trainers. If specific footwear, how old/worn are these, take your insoles out-how do they look, worn out? you could be ready for a new pair.

How are the soles on your trainers wearing out - on the outside, inside, straight down the middle (look at the heel and top of the sole)

Has anything changed in your running/training - increased mileage, intensity, duration...are you new to running?

Occupation- are you on your feet/walking all day?

Are you flat footed/low arches OR excessively high arches?

Does the pain spread from under the heel?

Are you tight in your calfs, hamstrings?

Any previous ankle, knee injuries?

Lots of questions I know but it could be a simple case of needing a new pair of trainers or something more juicy!!

Ian
    No pain no gain...if still no gain try more painkillers!

Hi Ian,

Quote Originally Posted by Physio Ian View Post
    Does the pain occur regardless of whatever footwear you are wearing, or only with specific shoes/trainers.
    In pretty much anything, regarless of age. I'd thought it might be my shoes, but I've tried a few different kinds an none of them make it any better.

How are the soles on your trainers wearing out - on the outside, inside, straight down the middle (look at the heel and top of the sole)
    I wear slightly more down the outsides of my feet.

Has anything changed in your running/training - increased mileage, intensity, duration...are you new to running?
    Nothing really changed much, although the problem has also been around for a fair while!

Occupation- are you on your feet/walking all day?
    I wish! I spend all day sat at a computer unfortunately.

Are you flat footed/low arches OR excessively high arches?

Does the pain spread from under the heel?

Are you tight in your calfs, hamstrings?

Any previous ankle, knee injuries?
    Calfs are slightly tight, and I've had sprained ankles before, but otherwise none of these apply.

Thanks for the help!!

a

Balls of my feet hurt quite often. I put it down to being soft and just didn't mention it any more.

Went to docs recently for other reasons and as a typical bloke I run through all the things I can think about while I am there as I will not be going back for some time. One thing was my sore feet. Told him I was a runner.

He noticed high arches and mentioned something about the arches needing support when running otherwise the feet start hurting more than usual. Especially the balls of feet are particulary sore. He recommended some insole that supports the arch. M....something? Will find out if it is likely to help.

Didn't want to tell him it may have something to do with running over uneven rocky ground in what amounts to studded pumps and just nodded and took his advice.

Yet to see the arch supports anywhere, but if you have high arches it may be something to do with that?

I had been having injury problems for the last year,pains in my feet,shins and calfs which when carrying weight felt like my calfs were going to explode,turned out i had flat feet and after strecthing and the fitting of orthotics i am now back running properly

Look at the following link, do your feet in standing look like either picture?

http://www.thefootandankleclinic.com...-flat-foot.htm

Try the door-test...facing a door/wall, one foot at a time, big toe up to the door, now touch the door with your knee, keeping your heel on the ground, very gradually bring your foot away from the door until you reach the point where your heel comes off the floor in order to touch the door with your knee - now measure this point from the door to the tip of your big toe...now repeat for the other leg....the normal range is 4-6 inches, how do you compare?

This stretch is targetting the soleus muscle, a muscle under the calf important in uphill running/walking when the knee is bent (flexed) and the foot is pulled upwards (dorsiflexion) - if this is tight then it's a potential cause of your problem, although to be honest, you could probably do with seeing a physio as I suspect it's related to the anatomy of your feet, in which case you would need to be assessed for specific orthotics for your shoes.

Let me know what you find

Ian
    No pain no gain...if still no gain try more painkillers!

Yes, I was also thinking I'd need to see a physio, but thought I'd post on here aswell to find out if anyone had any words of wisdom - many thanks for the replies, I'll let you know what the physio says!

a