Thread: Getting back into running

Getting back into running

Hi

I am hoping to get some advise from what seems a vey knowledgable and helpful forum.

I got into running for a season or 2 about 7 years ago, but then caught the cycling bug and have not raced or jogged regularly since 2001. Anyway, one thing and another, I have decided to try and get back into my running this winter. My question is, generally any advice on how to train at this early stage? I love off roading, but don't particularly relish the short sharp efforts of leage cross country - I would love to target a couple of fell races. How soon can I race? The problem is, I have good heart and lungs from cyling but I vaguely remember that injury is a problem in running, particualarly from overloading (cyclists only health problem is road rash and flu). I did 6 miles all off road in 53 mins yesterday and my knees and sole of feet were flipping killing. (I remember something about stretching too . . .)

Any thoughts however brief much appreciated, otherwise I may do a hilly half marathon on road in november.

Re: Getting back into running

just start by doing 30 minutes steady 3-4 times a week for say about a month and then start building the distance up depending on how you feel

Quote Originally Posted by Fleeter View Post
    just start by doing 30 minutes steady 3-4 times a week for say about a month and then start building the distance up depending on how you feel
    That sounds do-able, I guess I will try something like that for a couple of weeks and see how I get along. Fine line between not enough for improvement and too much. Thanks.

enter a do able race , 6 miles or so , in about 4 to 6 weeks time , that will give you something to aim for .

Quote Originally Posted by lilactime View Post
    enter a do able race , 6 miles or so , in about 4 to 6 weeks time , that will give you something to aim for .
    That is exactly what I did! I am going to go do the screes - an AS cat on the 20th. Also entered a road 1/2 marathon on the 4th Nov, but will only jog round that in a 'just finish it' mindset.

I am up to nearly 20 miles a week - 80% off road. Trouble is I live in the fens so climbing practice is resticted to the 5 meter ascent of ten mile bank!