Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Thread: peak district races

Re: peak district races

Quote Originally Posted by ajohns352000 View Post
    Would that be this years Pennine Champion Daz?
    ...also known as the Hollingworth Tortoise. (Fastest bloody tortoise I've ever seen!)

Master and MR

Re: peak district races

Quote Originally Posted by ajohns352000 View Post
    Would that be this years Pennine Champion Daz?
    no no no
    not this years
    another years
    i nearly had him mind

Just browsing for local midweek races later in the year and came across the Lost Lad Fell Race on Wed 15th September on SIentries. I think it is a new race and will be tough with 1,981 feet in its 8.5 miles.

The organisers boast that it is "set to become one of the classics in the Peak District".

Not at £20 it won't!
    Visibility good except in Hill Fog

Quote Originally Posted by Llani Boy View Post
    Just browsing for local midweek races later in the year and came across the Lost Lad Fell Race on Wed 15th September on SIentries. I think it is a new race and will be tough with 1,981 feet in its 8.5 miles.

The organisers boast that it is "set to become one of the classics in the Peak District".

Not at £20 it won't!
    Do the Salt Cellar instead I organise the Downfall - it costs £6.
    It's overpricing like this that encourages Nat Trust and the like to in turn charge over the top 'registration' fees.
    I always think The Fellsman is unbeatable value for money when you consider what you get for £40 odd quid (500 odd helpers). Especially compared to something like The Hill where you're paying to go up and down a hill over and over again with no overheads apart from a crappy medal.
    I'm sure value for money fell races is another thread somewhere on here, but Lost Lad is overpriced (In my opinion). I'll stay away from it on principle.
    Will Meredith - Pennine

Master
    Within sight of Leicestershire's Beacon Hill
    Quote Originally Posted by Llani Boy View Post

Not at £20 it won't!
    Have you looked at the route, Llani? I've just had a look, and there is only one significant climb, from the Derwent Reservoir up to the ridge at Back Tor. Total climbing may be 981ft, certainly nowhere near 1981ft.
    In his lifetime he suffered from unreality, as do so many Englishmen.
    Jorge Luis Borges

Quote Originally Posted by anthonykay View Post
    Have you looked at the route, Llani? I've just had a look, and there is only one significant climb, from the Derwent Reservoir up to the ridge at Back Tor. Total climbing may be 981ft, certainly nowhere near 1981ft.
    It did cross my mind that the ascent was bit high when I saw it but do know that it is a long climb up Abbey Brook and over to Back Tor.

I've just put the route on OS Maps and it comes out at 1,804 feet to Back Tor. I'm not sure of the descent route so a small ascent in that would probably bring the total nearer to that claimed, so they I'll cut them some slack on that.

But not on the price!

Edit. The height difference between the start and Back Tor is 1,080feet. There are a few short descents into cloughs on the way up Abbey Brook but the total ascent claimed does seem a bit optimistic. When I can find the exact route I'll go and find out for free!
    Last edited by Llani Boy; 16-03-2021 at 08:02 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by Sasquatch View Post
    Do the Salt Cellar instead I organise the Downfall - it costs £6.
    It's overpricing like this that encourages Nat Trust and the like to in turn charge over the top 'registration' fees.
    I always think The Fellsman is unbeatable value for money when you consider what you get for £40 odd quid (500 odd helpers). Especially compared to something like The Hill where you're paying to go up and down a hill over and over again with no overheads apart from a crappy medal.
    I'm sure value for money fell races is another thread somewhere on here, but Lost Lad is overpriced (In my opinion). I'll stay away from it on principle.
    The Salt Cellar is one of my favourites. Apart from being eaten alive at the end!

It say £10 on the website http://www.peakrunners.co.uk/lost-lad.html which sound a bit more reasonable, there is also a route map.
    Cause tramps like us, baby we were born to run

Quote Originally Posted by bigfella View Post
    It say £10 on the website http://www.peakrunners.co.uk/lost-lad.html which sound a bit more reasonable, there is also a route map.
    Thanks for that link Bigfella. The route actually goes up Abbey Bank and not Abbey Brook so I don't know where all the ascent is found. With regards the price the £10 entry fee was for 2019 as shown on the website link and when it was on a Saturday.

They've changed it to midweek and doubled the price!

Ah, yes, sorry about that, I didn't look at the date, 100% inflation, wow.

"The course is fully marked and marshalled so no need for navigation." a bit of a risky statement?
    Cause tramps like us, baby we were born to run