Page 25 of 25 FirstFirst ... 15232425

Thread: All LDWA events thread.

I asked the question above because I was looking at "The Hadrian Hundred", but looking at the gpx route on the OS map on http://www.bikehike.co.uk/mapview.php, it looks like a right mixed bag. Loads of lovely moorland sections but a hell of a lot of roads as well. It is quite frustrating in places where there are obvious footpath alternatives, but for whatever reason they choose not to use them. One classic example is a few kilometers on a road while there is a long distance footpath running parallel to the road following the river East Allen.

Quote Originally Posted by DrPatrickBarry View Post
    I asked the question above because I was looking at "The Hadrian Hundred", but looking at the gpx route on the OS map on http://www.bikehike.co.uk/mapview.php, it looks like a right mixed bag. Loads of lovely moorland sections but a hell of a lot of roads as well. It is quite frustrating in places where there are obvious footpath alternatives, but for whatever reason they choose not to use them. One classic example is a few kilometers on a road while there is a long distance footpath running parallel to the road following the river East Allen.
    Well maybe so but the organisers know best. It is their event. It is not very productive to wonder "why" and actually LDWA members are not horrified by walking on (some) tarmac.

The Hadrian 100 is not until May 2019 and the final route is not defined until closer to that date when a definitive map is made available with "the route" marked on it.

And while LDWA events are less risky than fell races, in the event of a walker becoming distressed it is helpful if the organisers can go looking for the distressed party assuming they are on the route and not on walkabout somewhere else. As I have said before, the well known deaths in fell races were all runners who went off route and were not discovered by the RO team alive.
    "...as dry as the Atacama desert".

One possibility is that someone in a house/farm along the footpath may have objected to an event coming past, even if it is on a public footpath, and the organisers have appeased them by going on the road instead. Much as it seems nonsensical to us, and despite the obvious point that taking an event on a road is generally more dangerous to all concerned!

The Spine race was routed onto a road rather than the actual Pennine Way a few times, I think because of objections like that - even though the path in question is such a major footpath!
    "And the winds blow and the sky looks cool / So I make my home in the clouds"

I am in agreement with Graham and Bill's comments, I assumed there is a valid reason they do not take what is an obvious alternative. This is a big event, with 500 limit so that must effect route choice. I suppose being a Fell Runner I am allergic to running on tarmac.

Quote Originally Posted by Multiterrainer View Post
    Enjoy Reservoir Dogs TF, although I think you'll find it's the week after Gargrave so don't get there too soon! Gargrave is a stepping stone for me to do the next PP Ultra - the Short Circuit (53k) on 4 November.
    Thanks for pointing that out, MT!
    I can admit to having been a week out with races in the past. I once lined up for a road 10k a week too early. It was a very short line.
    In this case my error was reading your post about 'a week on Saturday' several days after you posted you, which meant that 'a week on Saturday' had moved on!
    In any case, I still can't do Gargrave this Saturday as I'm in Kettlewell doing Great Whernside. (I've just double checked the date!)
    Have fun and see you around soon.
    "Get yourself together, Jones" - Ray Davies

Is anyone heading to Gargrave tomorrow via Ilkley? I'm on the lookout for a lift. thanks