Page 5 of 25 FirstFirst ... 3456715 ... LastLast

Thread: All LDWA events thread.

Re: All LDWA events thread.

Sorry but this is a bit random.........but

does anyone know anything about the walk referred to by this chap here

http://www.nicholasrhea.co.uk/yorkshire/crosses.html

its a stone crosses walk over the north york moors and he says its 53 miles.

I read a little booklet about it in a library I think,,,,years ago and it really interested me.

results of hebden valleys can be found here if anyone is interested:

http://www.alangreenwood.biz/hvh/index.html

Weather forecast for tomorrow is looking good!

Just got the route (thanks Tony) and its a cracker...Ran
    part of route yesterday and there is loadsa mud!

See you all in t'morning!

Re: Two Crosses circuit - sund

[quote=Huwski;3461]Weather forecast for tomorrow is looking good!

LDWA are well known for thier check points - cakes, buns, tea, chairs.. the lot...but best ever i've seen was at cp6 after 20miles..........

..... "would you like a wee dram to help you on your way?" oh no i said, i'll never make the last 5. "how a bout a sherry then"?

Between you and me ...a pint of Tayors Landord would have done it. Sod the last 5!
    A great LDWA event - the best

Quote Originally Posted by Daleside View Post
    http://www.nicholasrhea.co.uk/yorkshire/crosses.html

its a stone crosses walk over the north york moors and he says its 53 miles.

I read a little booklet about it in a library I think,,,,years ago and it really interested me.
    That will be the NY Moor Crosses walk - circa 54 miles IIRC.

It was notorious for the number of shortcuts that were possible. It was held annually but I have not seen it mentioned for a few years.

Quote Originally Posted by chris brown View Post
    Is anyone thinking of doing the The Rombalds Stride (advertised as 25 but only 22miles). Its on Sat 3rd Feb and gos over Ilkley moor and over Otley Chevin - (about 3500ft of climb) - big local event 50/50 runners/walkers. About 300 did it last year.

I've now got an entry form but they dont appear to be widey available. Its organsied locally by 15th Airdale Scout Group. Let me know if anyone want any more details
    How much is the entry for this race Chris so I can get it sent off. I did the Hebden Bridge which was great. Two pieces of really nice chocolate cake at the last check point which was very civilised.
    Moo, I'm not the Kevin from Darwen. Sorry to be such a long time commenting on that. My new years resolution was to cut down on technology time. So I ended my internet access at home and only use it occasionaly at work.
    The Cumbria Ldwa is doing the three rings of Shap in June which is three separate rings around the fells. The rings are 18 miles, 24 miles or 20 miles and you can do one, two or three rings. The three rings which total 62 miles has to be done in 26 hours. So for people who are thinking of doing the BG it's a good test to see what you've got. The website is http://www.ldwa.org.uk/lgt/web_page.php?c=7&p=26 I'd like to try the BG in 2008 and so getting in these ldwa long distances is a great way of training. I don't underestimate the BG though. After Hebden Bridge I got home at 6pm and was with tired legs having a cup of tea. It occured to me that if doing the BG that day the runner would still only be 10 hours into the run. Thousands of feet of ascent to come and another 14 hours on your feet. Very sobering thought.
    I hope to see other forumites at the Rombalds if I get my entry in ok.

I can recommend the Trollers Trot Sat 3rd March as a good tough walk/run. Last year there were quite a few runners and I suspect there will be more this year. I took 4:30 (although I am sure it was advertised as 26 last year) and was around 15-20th. The meal is good at the end but I could not the face hotdogs at the penultimate checkpoint.

Details below

A tough 24ml walk from Upper Wharfedale Scholl, Threshfield in the picturesque Yorkshire Dales National Park, via Threshfield Moor, Winterburn Reservoir, Rylestone Moor, Barden Tower, Trollers Ghyll & returning to Grassington via Burnsall & along the banks of the River Wharfe. 3047ft of climb. Tracklogs route available via email. Start 8.00 am. Entry £8 (£9 on day) inc refreshments on route, cert & badge for all finishers & light meal at finish. Proceeds to Yorkshire Air Ambulance & Burley Methodist Church. SEF accepted, cheque to Trollers Trot.
    Contact:John SparshattAddress:30A, Sandholme Drive, Burley in Wharfedale, Ilkley, W Yorks. LS29 7RQTelephone:01943 864613Email:[email protected]

2 crosses was fantastic day out yesterday. WOnderful way to spend a morning with fantastic friendly people and great nosh (but not soup eh huwski) Well done to Mick for winning hurrayyyyyyyyyyyyy

Ready for more at the Anglesark Amble .....

Quote Originally Posted by Kevin View Post
    How much is the entry for this race Chris so I can get it sent off. I did the Hebden Bridge which was great. Two pieces of really nice chocolate cake at the last check point which was very civilised.
    Moo, I'm not the Kevin from Darwen. Sorry to be such a long time commenting on that. My new years resolution was to cut down on technology time. So I ended my internet access at home and only use it occasionaly at work.
    The Cumbria Ldwa is doing the three rings of Shap in June which is three separate rings around the fells. The rings are 18 miles, 24 miles or 20 miles and you can do one, two or three rings. The three rings which total 62 miles has to be done in 26 hours. So for people who are thinking of doing the BG it's a good test to see what you've got. The website is http://www.ldwa.org.uk/lgt/web_page.php?c=7&p=26 I'd like to try the BG in 2008 and so getting in these ldwa long distances is a great way of training. I don't underestimate the BG though. After Hebden Bridge I got home at 6pm and was with tired legs having a cup of tea. It occured to me that if doing the BG that day the runner would still only be 10 hours into the run. Thousands of feet of ascent to come and another 14 hours on your feet. Very sobering thought.
    I hope to see other forumites at the Rombalds if I get my entry in ok.
    Kevin
    Romalds Stride is 8.50 if you are not a LDWA member - details on my last posting
    Chris

Quote Originally Posted by johnnybike View Post
    I can recommend the Trollers Trot Sat 3rd March as a good tough walk/run. Last year there were quite a few runners and I suspect there will be more this year. I took 4:30 (although I am sure it was advertised as 26 last year) and was around 15-20th. The meal is good at the end but I could not the face hotdogs at the penultimate checkpoint.

Details below

A tough 24ml walk from Upper Wharfedale Scholl, Threshfield in the picturesque Yorkshire Dales National Park, via Threshfield Moor, Winterburn Reservoir, Rylestone Moor, Barden Tower, Trollers Ghyll & returning to Grassington via Burnsall & along the banks of the River Wharfe. 3047ft of climb. Tracklogs route available via email. Start 8.00 am. Entry £8 (£9 on day) inc refreshments on route, cert & badge for all finishers & light meal at finish. Proceeds to Yorkshire Air Ambulance & Burley Methodist Church. SEF accepted, cheque to Trollers Trot.
    Contact:John SparshattAddress:30A, Sandholme Drive, Burley in Wharfedale, Ilkley, W Yorks. LS29 7RQTelephone:01943 864613Email:[email protected]
    I can recconment the Troller - did it last year (minus 9 with a sprinkling of fresh snow) with all the bogs nicley iced over - dry feet!"!!!