Thread: Hydration and nutrition

Hydration and nutrition

Hi,

I have a few questions about using carb powder (e.g Isostar),

(a) what concentrations to people use, and what duration of run would u start to use it?

(b) if you use it for say, a 2 hr training run, I'm guessing you will actually get less fit, or certainly lose less weight as your drinking glucose?

(c) Has anyone tried the decathlon stuff, which is half the price of isostar?

(d)any other pointers about carb powder for runs in general would be appreciated. i'm just a little concerned about what to use it for, and if it will then have a detrimental effect on my fell running without it!

Many thanks

Re: Hydration and nutrition

Hi,

I never use the recommended amount as it chews my stomach so I tend to dilute a lot more than is recommended. Maybe about 1/3 extra water than recommended. This is just what works for me. You have to just try a few with different concentrations and see what works for you stomach wise and what doesn't. Try them in training just in case they affect you.

I don't use them in training runs once I know what works for me as I want my body to get used to running without them. Tend to use the caffine analogy. More you drink the less effect you get.

Have to admit I have been going off carb drinks in favour of Nuuns as they taste nicer, come in tablet form to drop in drinks so easier to use in races better on the stomach. They help rehydrate you but don't give you carbs. Then use gels and jelly babies, etc for energy.

Hope this helps?

david

Quote Originally Posted by freefly View Post
    (b) if you use it for say, a 2 hr training run, I'm guessing you will actually get less fit, or certainly lose less weight as your drinking glucose?
    Why would you need to use anything on a 2 hour training run ?

i always used powders and believed they gave me that extra boost, but recently and after another thread, like afj i have turned to nuuns...i must say that i was amazed at the performance...as afj says, they wont give you carbs (energy) but the electrolytes make a difference.. a few Jb's to keep energy up should see you through a long day