Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Xcountry races open to all?

Xcountry races open to all?

In line with the current FRA/UKA debate, does the panel think that XC races should be open to all, rather than just affiliated club members? I always think its a shame that the general public or none affiliated clubs aren't allowed just to turn up and race like they can at most fell and road events.
    Is there a opening for an "open to all" XC series may be?
    Why don't you look me in the eye when when you're talking to me?

Re: Xcountry races open to all

There already is. The UKA series is open to all (apart from the Inter-Counties), plus there are many open X/C races that are open to all. As to 'turn up on the day', maybe not, most are enter in advance. Cross country races seem to be more club / team oriented, and to be honest it's the clubs that put the majority of the races on, so it's the clubs members that get to run in them.

Many leagues allow runners to turn up on the day and run as "guests" its often no more difficult than entering any race and is free! The only races where guest are not allowed are championships which is appropriate.
    It is at the discretion of the race referee however and some can be a bit difficult!

All of the IOM XC League races allow anyone to enter & race regardless of whether they're entered in advance, or on the line, or whether they're a member of a club or not. I once turned up to an XC race about 5 - 10 minutes before the start & entered & raced. Not recommended though
    I'm so naughty!!!!!!

There already is. The UKA series is open to all (apart from the Inter-Counties), plus there are many open X/C races that are open to all. As to 'turn up on the day', maybe not, most are enter in advance. Cross country races seem to be more club / team oriented, and to be honest it's the clubs that put the majority of the races on, so it's the clubs members that get to run in them.

This certainly isn't the case in Wales.....which is a shame. Don't clubs put on 99% of fell races, yet these are open to all whether members of clubs or not.
    Ah, you have a lovely voice, a bit like Celine Dion

Quote Originally Posted by dominion View Post
    UKA series may be open to all, but it's seen as a high quality event which would put people off.

Maybe there is a gap here for something between local leagues and UK challenge, which has high publicity but inclusive for all. Before I get shouted at, area xc leagues are great for the average club runner but if someone came along and promoted a xc race as much as certain road races are then they may be onto a winner.
    Of course they may not be, and I note that multi-terrain races are becoming more commonplace, which may be the alternative to cross country for your man on the street, or may encourage them onto the xc scene, who knows?
    'That's what you get when you suffer - you get results'

Quote Originally Posted by Celine Dion View Post

This certainly isn't the case in Wales.....which is a shame. Don't clubs put on 99% of fell races, yet these are open to all whether members of clubs or not.
    X/C leagues were put on by clubs to be inter-club matches, rather than fell races which are individual races and may have team prizes as an aside.

Cross country events such as the English National, Northern and County championships, are generally only open to members of affiliated Clubs.

It would be highly unusual for world-class cross country athletes to be selected to represent England or Great Britain if they are not members of an affiliated Club.
    Fox Avatar "Protected" by Hester Cox - Printmaker

Quote Originally Posted by dominion View Post
    X/C leagues were put on by clubs to be inter-club matches, rather than fell races which are individual races and may have team prizes as an aside.
    Whether they're inter-club matches or not shouldn't be a barrier to the man on the street. Many fell events are good stages for club battles so that's no argument. I think there is a market for an open to all XC series which does away with the need for the blazer brigade to say who can and who can't run.
    Last edited by Jordan; 18-01-2007 at 10:10 PM.
    Why don't you look me in the eye when when you're talking to me?

Quote Originally Posted by Jordan View Post
    I always think its a shame that the general public or none affiliated clubs aren't allowed just to turn up and race like they can at most fell and road events.
    Is there a opening for an "open to all" XC series may be?
    The two leagues our club completes in, anyone from the general public can turn up pay their money and race. Which xc races would you like to do?
    Or are you looking to organise an open to all xc series?