Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: Advice on first race.

Advice on first race.

Where should I start? To make the question a bit easier here's some background info:
    • I'm 44 and I took up running for the first time ever less than a year and a half ago;
    • I've completed a number of road and off road races (best times 5k road 19.07, 10k road 40.15, 1/2 marathon hilly road 1.37, 15 mile hilly off road 1.58, 20 mile hilly off road 2.42, Beachy Head marathon 3.54);
    • I live in Brighton but realise I'm going to have to travel;
    • I prefer longer distances - 1/2 marathon and above - to shorter ones;
    • I am crap at map reading (but hoping/practicing to get better);
    • I'm looking for my first race in March.
    Any thoughts/advice much appreciated.

Cheers - Raymond

Quote Originally Posted by Raymond Hickman View Post
    Where should I start? To make the question a bit easier here's some background info:
    • I'm 44 and I took up running for the first time ever less than a year and a half ago;
    • I've completed a number of road and off road races (best times 5k road 19.07, 10k road 40.15, 1/2 marathon hilly road 1.37, 15 mile hilly off road 1.58, 20 mile hilly off road 2.42, Beachy Head marathon 3.54);
    • I live in Brighton but realise I'm going to have to travel;
    • I prefer longer distances - 1/2 marathon and above - to shorter ones;
    • I am crap at map reading (but hoping/practicing to get better);
    • I'm looking for my first race in March.
    Any thoughts/advice much appreciated.

Cheers - Raymond
    First race in March? It's got to be the Edale Skyline then. 20 (ish) miles - should be just what you want.

I prefer longer distances - 1/2 marathon and above - to shorter ones;
    • I am crap at map reading (but hoping/practicing to get better)
    8 or 9 miles on fell is about half marathon equivalent.
    Get booked on the FRA navigation course, twice yearly, Yorkshire / Lakes, great fun, details in the FRA magazines

Good luck

Hello Geoff (and any others looking in) - If I were to do this, how important are navigation skills? Having looked at the photos (and read some reports) from previous events I don't want to end up lost in the fog and snow. Apologies if this is a really stupid question, but it is in the beginners forum after all.

Cheers - Raymond

p.s. Bog Trotter I posted this just before your reply appeared; I will check out the magazine for course details.

I live pretty close to you in Steyning. Have you seen this race ?http://www.trionium.com/mm/
    1/2 marathon with 3,000ft of climbing. I'll apply and you won't need to travel too far. Otherwise, join the FRA and look at the Fellrunner mag- has loads of races in there! Also got Steyning Stinger and 3 Forts coming up- both with 2500+ ft of climbing. PM me if you need any further info

Raymone,

See my reply on Today's Training thread...

MH

p.s. This year Edale is an English Championship race so numbers are likely to be such that a 'mid-packer' like yourself (no insult intended) is likely to always have others in sight.

Quote Originally Posted by Pav View Post
    I live pretty close to you in Steyning. Have you seen this race ?http://www.trionium.com/mm/
    1/2 marathon with 3,000ft of climbing. I'll apply and you won't need to travel too far. Otherwise, join the FRA and look at the Fellrunner mag- has loads of races in there! Also got Steyning Stinger and 3 Forts coming up- both with 2500+ ft of climbing. PM me if you need any further info
    Hello Pav - I'm already signed up for the 3 Forts (did the half last year and loved it...my first off road race...and I think the full course has nearer 3,500 feet of climbs). I've ruled myself out of the Stinger (certainly the full marathon) by signing up for the Hastings 1/2 the following Sunday; yes I know some peple could do both, but I'm not one of them...yet. Which leaves the Midsummer Monros; the route looks a bit contrived but it's certainly a possibility.

Thanks for the info - Ryamond

p.s. I forgot to say that I sent of my FRA application form two days ago.
    Last edited by Raymond Hickman; 03-01-2007 at 04:22 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by Mountain Hare View Post
    Raymone,

See my reply on Today's Training thread...

MH

p.s. This year Edale is an English Championship race so numbers are likely to be such that a 'mid-packer' like yourself (no insult intended) is likely to always have others in sight.
    Cheers MH - I 've seen your reply on the other thread. BTW I would be delighted to be thought of as a potential 'mid-packer' regrading Edale and also like the sound of having others insight...I think you've nearly sold me on the idea (now comes the presuasion and logistics to make it happen).

All the best - Raymond

Hello Geoff (and any others looking in) - If I were to do this, how important are navigation skills? Having looked at the photos (and read some reports) from previous events I don't want to end up lost in the fog and snow. Apologies if this is a really stupid question, but it is in the beginners forum after all.

Cheers - Raymond

p.s. Bog Trotter I posted this just before your reply appeared; I will check out the magazine for course details.
    I was being serious, but have no doubt this is a tough race. However, looking at your experience I'm sure you're capable of going the distance & as Mountain Hare pointed out there should be penty of people to follow. I started running when I was 45 and first did the Edale Skyline last year (aged 47), so if I can do it, I'm sure you can. Don't forget it's pre-entry only.

YOu can enter online too! Just keep Geoff B in sight and you'll be OK!