Page 1 of 6 123 ... LastLast

Thread: Ultradistance Training

Ultradistance Training

On balance does anyone think it'd be better to do back to back days training sessions on a weekend or one long run?
    What i mean is: I want to run an 80 mile ultra and am considering whether my long run would be better to be 30 miles sat and 30 sunday or just a big 60.
    That would be my longest run before the ultra and i would be building up to it by gradually increasing long runs.

Re: Ultradistance Training

Quote Originally Posted by Alf Tupper View Post
    On balance does anyone think it'd be better to do back to back days training sessions on a weekend or one long run?
    What i mean is: I want to run an 80 mile ultra and am considering whether my long run would be better to be 30 miles sat and 30 sunday or just a big 60.
    That would be my longest run before the ultra and i would be building up to it by gradually increasing long runs.
    Blimey I'm carping it for this 50 miler but 80

Good point though can we also ratio that question given the different distance ie Similar question for a 50 miler??

How long would 1 long run of 60 miles take you do you think and is it road or fell? hilly or flat??

One of the lads at our club does ultras 100k type distances about 60 ish miles. His training usually involves at the longest 4-5 hours running in anyone training run. I seem to remember him doing 30+ miles on a friday a 15 mile session on saturday and a 4 hour run on a sunday in his build up to the last one. He seems to go well off "shorter runs " than a long one in one go. Something about recovery time etc

Super Moderator

We met a fella at the White Cliffs 50 who is a regular at the Grand Union Canal 145miler. He said he and his mate do regular 40-50mile training runs on the Downs in Sussex / Kent area but didn't go further than that normally. Interestingly he said that even tho' the GU is along a tow path those in the know walk anything that is uphill, even the short rises over bridges etc. He said that they all add up and wear you down eventually. Think his best time was c37hrs for 145ml. Where's the 80 you're doing Alf T?

Cheers for the advice.
    It's a sort of self emposed one really Derby, it's a double crossing of the Lyke Wake. I'll start at Ravenscar 4pm and aim to hold myself back to 12 hour pace to arrive at Osmotherley at 4am then start the Lyke Wake Race. I've run the race twice now and walked the route numerous times.
    Whilst at Loch Ness Marathon i was given a magazine of Scottish Athletics which featured ultra runners and it's their training which prompted my question.
    They seemed to favour the multiple days technique rather than one big day and really for the reasons given previously: for recovery. It seems it's the recovery that becomes more and more important as mileage increases.
    i'm planning on doing a few fell races in training, Rombalds Stride and The Woldsman and of course The Mallerstang Yomp.
    Sorry Emmi, my training will be on the same route i'll be running on or hillier.The idea is to do the saturday longer run on the moors and the sunday locally to me in darlington. As you prob know the Lyke Wake course itself can be flat or hilly, but a dry year would help immensely.
    Walking all uphills is definately essential and pacing becomes more critical. I suppose one learns from experience.
    Last edited by Alf Tupper; 09-10-2007 at 03:45 PM. Reason: forgot summat

I think after the 32 on sunday I can fully agree/understand the shorter distance training runs. I could have kept going on the day but as you all point out it's the recovery afterwards I think this is a major factor for training for these sort of distances but does it get easier take less time with experience?

I've a few fell races in November but not the sort of distance needed really so I'm a bit unsure what to do in relation to preparation for the 50 miles.

It's off road but not too hilly so I think I'll manage it ok but again it's a question of how long should the longest training run be or is it a question of time on my feet for example if i go up to the lakes in November I'll be out longer no doubt covering a shorter distance but it will be hillier - eck I'm confused...........sorry Alf, not wanting to barge in on your thread

Hey , no probs Emmilou , your training ideas are interesting. I'm no expert by any means and like listening to others ideas on, what is not a precise science.
    You'll definately be able to cover the 50 miles. You finished the Half yorkshireman in a faster time than myself and i'd already done the lyke wake race in July (40 miles).
    The longest training run i'd done for it was 30 miles, but i was more concerned with keeping on my feet and pacing correctly and trying out food etc. On the day i was confident of covering the distance but the really wet conditions made running much harder than any of the training runs i'd done.
    Although i'd thought about this , i'd not seen the Moors that wet, EVER!!
    If you want Emmi , i'll trawl thru my list of useful websites for ultras and post them on this thread. let me know if that'll be useful.

Quote Originally Posted by emmilou View Post
    It's off road but not too hilly so I think I'll manage it ok but again it's a question of how long should the longest training run be or is it a question of time on my feet for example if i go up to the lakes in November I'll be out longer no doubt covering a shorter distance but it will be hillier - eck I'm confused...........sorry Alf, not wanting to barge in on your thread
    Hi Emmilou

I've changed my training this year and I feel loads better for it. It may be that another year has built up my strength/Stamina due to muscle memory but for what it's worth here is my view for Ultras.

Distance is not that important where as time is. Last year i used to train by going out and running as hard as I could for whatever distance and then spend 4-5 day recovering.

Now I run for longer over the same course but are able to get back out within 1-2 days.

i.e if I run 5 hours for 20 miles i get out and run again much sooner than if I went out and ran it in 3.5 hours. when running ultras it's all about keeping going for long periods so slow down but go longer.

Re walking uphill. Always on the long routes, it tells near the end.
    Doing a 20 miler tommorrow so perhaps I should put the wine away now...

Ian

That would be great Alf and you've hit on another good point - Food.

Sunday I just couldn't face much to be honest - whilst others were tucking into bagels and such the thought of solid food didn't appeal.

I had some soup about 20 miles in and a bit of cake but couldn't face bread etc.

I relied on the NOYH bon bon/date concoction and plenty of fluids but am wondering if this is enough for anything more????

The thought of bananas and sandwiches fills me with dread!

Quote Originally Posted by IanDarkpeak View Post
    Hi Emmilou

I've changed my training this year and I feel loads better for it. It may be that another year has built up my strength/Stamina due to muscle memory but for what it's worth here is my view for Ultras.

Distance is not that important where as time is. Last year i used to train by going out and running as hard as I could for whatever distance and then spend 4-5 day recovering.

Now I run for longer over the same course but are able to get back out within 1-2 days.

i.e if I run 5 hours for 20 miles i get out and run again much sooner than if I went out and ran it in 3.5 hours. when running ultras it's all about keeping going for long periods so slow down but go longer.

Re walking uphill. Always on the long routes, it tells near the end.
    Doing a 20 miler tommorrow so perhaps I should put the wine away now...

Ian
    i can fully agree with that Ian and thank - I keep saying I'm built for comfort not speed the long distance stuff really suits my metronome style where as the thought of a fast 5/10km and I go to bits but the thought of plodding continuously for 8 hours and I feel fine!!