Page 2 of 6 FirstFirst 1234 ... LastLast

Thread: Ultradistance Training

Re: Ultradistance Training

thanks Ian, not sure this is me though or maybe it is and I'd just not realised

Ultra runners are much more laid back than regular marathoners. They have all been around the block a few times. But although they realize they can do something that less than one percent of the general population can, they are not smug about it.

Quote Originally Posted by emmilou View Post
    Ultra runners are much more laid back than regular marathoners. They have all been around the block a few times.
    It is cultural thing, you know two countries separated by a common language.

I think he (although it could be a she and I shouldn't presume) is trying to be complimentary here - around the block could infer experience rather than merely age.

Anyway, if you are happy being on your feet for 50 miles train over shorter distances because, as has been noted previously, recovery is quicker and damage to muscles & joints is less. If, however, you are not sure about eating and drinking 'on the go' or you are not sure your shoes/socks will be OK for 50 miles then maybe you need to practise at or close to that distance.

Don't forget to carry anti-inflamatories, consider taking them after 25-30 miles so that if/when you need them they are in your blood already. Carry compeeds and maybe a pin for bursting blisters and perhaps zinc oxide tape for your feet.

May also be worth a look at http://www.ldwa.org.uk/ and the 'Discussion Forum' (link on front page) where there is advice on blisters, feet balms and all sorts of other black magic to help survive long distances.

Here you go, an article to inspire you into the world of ultra distance running.

Quote Originally Posted by FellShoeShuffler View Post
    It is cultural thing, you know two countries separated by a common language.

I think he (although it could be a she and I shouldn't presume) is trying to be complimentary here - around the block could infer experience rather than merely age.

Anyway, if you are happy being on your feet for 50 miles train over shorter distances because, as has been noted previously, recovery is quicker and damage to muscles & joints is less. If, however, you are not sure about eating and drinking 'on the go' or you are not sure your shoes/socks will be OK for 50 miles then maybe you need to practise at or close to that distance.

Don't forget to carry anti-inflamatories, consider taking them after 25-30 miles so that if/when you need them they are in your blood already. Carry compeeds and maybe a pin for bursting blisters and perhaps zinc oxide tape for your feet.

May also be worth a look at http://www.ldwa.org.uk/ and the 'Discussion Forum' (link on front page) where there is advice on blisters, feet balms and all sorts of other black magic to help survive long distances.
    wow - hadn't really though thought of any of the feet problemsto be honest. feet were fine over 32 although I did comment that a dry pair of socks in my bag wouldn't go a miss but no blisters/pain etc at all.

Food is definatley an issue for me though - I get bad stitches and stomach cramps etc especially with the usual 'carb' loading bread and pasta etc so do try to stay clear of it.

Thanks very much for the links and advice Ian - I think Ultra's are the way forward for me so am keen to persue things properly

Quote Originally Posted by dominion View Post
    Here you go, an article to inspire you into the world of ultra distance running.
    Dom - where do you find this stuff???

Dom - where do you find this stuff???
    Ron Bentley was team manager for Tipton Harriers when I joined them. That website is one of mine - although not the article, I just cut and pasted it!

Buy a copy of this book for the best description and details of ultra running.

A Step Beyond:A Definitive Guide to Ultrarunning

Fox Avatar "Protected" by Hester Cox - Printmaker

Right at the start of the Dragons Back, 'Ruddles Rules' were very strictly imposed. Everything uphill (however slight an incline) was walked. Bearing in mind we were all going way beyond anything we had ever done before, and training was not exactly full on - more what we could fit in.

Ruddles Rules worked really well, mixing the walking/running seemed to help alleviate leg stiffness and problems after long days out on our feet. I would recommend it, due to injury much of my training was walking (hard, power walking including hills). Gained strength and time on my feet without the pounding.
    Don't roll with a pig in poo. You get covered in poo and the pig likes it.

wow - hadn't really though thought of any of the feet problemsto be honest. feet were fine over 32 although I did comment that a dry pair of socks in my bag wouldn't go a miss but no blisters/pain etc at all.
    A change of socks is probably worthwhile (I know of LDWA peeps who change their socks every 20 miles on a '100') and, for winter, consider waterproof socks (they won't stay dry because of sweat) but they keep the wind out and keep you feet much warmer.

Look for LDWA events over the winter to get 20-25 mile sessions and 'eating practise' without having to carry food.