Thread: Starting!

Starting!

I'm in my forties and have taken to running for about 6 months. Done a couple of 10ks and am doing my first half marathon sunday (all road)! Thoroughly enjoying it but would love to try some fell running. I live in S Wales, so the Beacons aren't far. Any ideas about how the training differs and a doable first off-road race. Have read the fell-running introductory books for inspiration...but actually running up montains is ....well....any advice welcomed!

Master and MR

Re: Starting!

Hello Iestyn
    Welcome indeed
    Im sure there are a few South Wales lads on here that can put you right
    With regards to training just keep running, have you tried running on the hills yet?????

Bobert

Hey Iestyn

just like with your road running, build up gradually, don't be afraid to walk uphill or down dale and enjoy every minute of it. As Daz H says, have a crack at a fell run. You'll already have a good base level of fitness from the roads, so focus on strengthening your ankles, and your quads for those downhills. There are loads of specific exercises you can do at home for this. Get in with a fell running club if you can as they'll have sessions on up and downhill technique. They'll be able to tell you of any good introductory local races to do too. Once you start, you'll never want to stop

All the best for your race on sunday.

The simple answer is just do it!

Oh and don't get wound up about times; if you can run 7 minute miles on the road, expect something like 10 minute miles on trails with steep ascents and maybe 12 minute miles with open fells and (even steeper) ascents.

I agree and if/when you enter a race , you'll find it much nicer atmosphere.No worrying about bloody PB's just for the enjoyment. Sarah Rowells book 'offroad running' is a good starter book. Have fun , you won't miss roads and nor will your joints. Have fun.

Thanks for those messages folks. Will give it a go....

Just go and do it

I agree with Alf Tupper it is much more enjoyable and unlike on the roads you just don't worry about the minutes per mile, you just get on with it! Take it steady and just have a go

Iestyn
    I live up in the lakes and travel to the Gower to see my family loads- no one up here parties as hard as them guys.
    I take my shoes and shorts with me and get out on Pendyn sands usually in bad weather. Some times get off the soft flat saand and into the dunes.

When I get home to the fells i really tell the benifit of a beach and dune session.

South Wales is great. So great that the 5 hour drive doesnt put me off.
    Its all about the Braines.
    let the good times roll.